Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #391
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
"Might could"

"Are you intending to get my car fixed anytime in this reality?"
"I might could get to it next Tuesday..."
what on earth does that mean ??? you don't have to translate it into french, just english would be fine.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:05 PM   #392
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what on earth does that mean ??? you don't have to translate it into french, just english would be fine.
It means that the car will not, in fact be fixed next Tuesday, or any Tuesday in this reality stream. It will be fixed "some day" and you'll like it! I lived in Texas for four years and quickly learned that there are some in the warmer states who have a bad case of the slows.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #393
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ah. see, that really is not clear, in the original expression. thanks for explaining.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #394
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
you mean this one ?
That was the one!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #395
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Actually, the literal translation is, "Maybe I could have it fixed by next Tuesday." but with the implication that you shouldn't expect it then.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #396
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Actually, the literal translation is, "Maybe I could have it fixed by next Tuesday." but with the implication that you shouldn't expect it then.
But it sounds so dull when you explain it that way.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #397
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
"Fixing to" (or "fixin' ta" in true Southern drawl) is the one that gets me.

"Have you finished yet?"
"Fixin' to."

I've never understood how you can be "fixing" to do anything! And I've lived in the South my entire life.

Dreamer
I have been castigated on this one as well (mostly by Yankees - not to be confused with what the Brits call Yanks). I think it drives from "fixing oneself up" as in putting on nice clothes, jewelry, and makeup (as may be required based on gender). So when you are getting ready to go out for a nice evening, you are "fixing" to go (out for the evening). From there it evolved into "getting ready to go", and then stating that "I'm going". Not really much different that the phrase, "I'm going to go to town now." which seems more acceptable to some living north of here.

But remember I am just an engineer, not a linguist, and fixin' to be retired soon.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #398
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Similar to "making ready to..." but I'm not sure what region that would be from.

How does the US Southern use of "reckon" differ from the British use? Anyone know?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #399
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
One of my most interesting words (actual usage is mostly a "Southernism" which itself is an untranslatable word) is "reckon" as in giving permission.

Child: "Mama, can I go to the store with you."
Mother: "Yeah, I reckon."
I'll agree it's a "southernism". So much so that we use it similarly all the way south down here. Another example is as an exclamatory affirmation, such as...

Idiot 1: WOW! That movie "300" was bloody brilliant!
Idiot 2: Yeah, I reckon!

(Note, I am not suggesting that its use is exclusive to idiocy - it was just a convenient example. I would use it so myself)

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #400
slayda
Retired & reading more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I'll agree it's a "southernism". So much so that we use it similarly all the way south down here. Another example is as an exclamatory affirmation, such as...

Idiot 1: WOW! That movie "300" was bloody brilliant!
Idiot 2: Yeah, I reckon!

(Note, I am not suggesting that its use is exclusive to idiocy - it was just a convenient example. I would use it so myself)

Cheers,
Marc
You reckon?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #401
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
'Reckon' in the UK usually has the sense of counting or calculating. There used to be little booklets called 'Ready Reckoners' which would list tables, so that you could see at a glance how much interest (say) £56.30 would accrue at 4%, or calculate tax rates on your income etc.
These seem to have disappeared into the same void as logarithm tables, now that people have cheap calculators.

I always thought that the american usage of 'reckon' involved a suppressed clause, so that 'I reckon' = 'I reckon/calculate that you are right'.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:18 PM   #402
zelda_pinwheel

hey ! are you back from vacation ? i'm glad to see you. i hope you had a nice relaxing time and forgot all about marking papers.

edit : hey, look at that, 3333 posts.

my, i just never stop talking, do i ?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:35 AM   #403
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I always thought that the american usage of 'reckon' involved a suppressed clause, so that 'I reckon' = 'I reckon/calculate that you are right'.
We use it too, in the previously-stated, exclamatory sense, so I'll just respond to you by saying...

I reckon!

It's nice to see you back. We look forward to your "What I did on my holidays" report. I expect to give you an A+, so don't disappoint me.

Quote:

edit : hey, look at that, 3333 posts.
Post-binary symmetry?

Quote:
my, i just never stop talking, do i ?
You and me both, my Queen.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness