Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
lachdanan
lachdanan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Should I buy an ebook reader now or wait?

Hi,

I am trying to get an ebook reader to read technical books like this in PDF and CHM formats:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Lighti.../dp/0321316312

From what I know the whole e-ink/e-reader market is not very new. But when I did a bit of research, I realized there seems to be still a lot of issues and problems with these devices and the tech is still lacking, i.e. color, etc.

Basically I found a lot of interesting products that never seem to have been released, so vaporware. Some of the products I found were old with no newer versions, i.e. Asus ereader from 2010.

So that's why I wanted to ask if there might be some good products released next year or is what we have most likely will still be pretty much the best you can have for several years, until they really make some new breakthroughs, and wait for maturity?

I read Amazon will bigger readers next year, but not sure if they will or if this is good for people living in Canada like me.

I always heard of people using ereaders for a long time, so by now I thought they would have full 1080p color e-ink readers that are super responsive and very stable, especially given their price

But don't get me wrong, all I am looking for a good quality reader, not a tablet, so not asking for tablet features.

Please share your opinions, recommendations, expectations and experiences

Also happy xmas to all
lachdanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #2
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The first new ereaders are going to be released next spring. It won't be long before we get details. So it wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer and see what the new generation will be like.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I doubt whatever is being released in the next generation is going to be a revolution, so I would just buy now. They arent very expensive anymore either.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
lachdanan

Thanks guys. It would be nice to see what's gonna be released but yeah I was also thinking it will be along the same lines like, "this model has the page buttons on the left, instead of on the right as the previous version, a little bigger storage, +100 mhz faster, etc.

I was hoping for some new tech to surface.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no radically new technology on the horizon.

If you have a need to read technical PDFs, the iPad (or 10" Android equivalents) is the best there is (and I speak from personal experience in saying that the iPad is a superb PDF reader).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
lachdanan

Thanks, I see what you mean. Although I don't think a tablet would work for me. I mean I never used an e-reader IRL but my issue is not portability of the device but reading on an lcd screen for long time strains my eyes. So I might be reading most of the material in front of a computer and using the computer in between.

Also I read the battery times are also in weeks? Although some people say it's not continuous usage. So not sure if ipad and an e-reader has similar batter times?

Other than that I agree ipad is definitely a good device.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachdanan View Post
Also I read the battery times are also in weeks? Although some people say it's not continuous usage. So not sure if ipad and an e-reader has similar batter times?
Oh, eInk has a tremendous advantage in terms of battery life. But I'm afraid that there are no eInk readers which meet your requirements. eInk devices are great for reading fiction, but not suited for technical PDFs.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
lachdanan

What about Onyx M92? It seems to be good enough. From what I have seen 9.7 seems to be the largest ones anyway.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
I have an Onyx i62HD (6''), but the firmware is almost the same than the one on the Onyx M92, and I think it is very good for reading pdf. I am reading scientific papers on it and even if the screen is small, the experience is very good. You can highlight text, make annotations... And it has a "paper mode" which makes reading two (or more) column pdfs very convenient. Of course, in a bigger reader the experience should be even better, so take a look to the Onyx M92.
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
lachdanan

Thanks, that's what I was hoping based on what I read online here and on other sites and youtube.

Apart from this, do you know how much battery life do you get? They say stuff like 8 weeks but it's not 24*7*8 hours, right?

Also when you are reading, does it automatically shut down? Like if you spend 10 mins reading a page, not sure if they try to shut down, etc.

Cheers.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Apart from this, do you know how much battery life do you get? They say stuff like 8 weeks but it's not 24*7*8 hours, right?
Just sitting there with your last page read in memory does not really use electricity, so you do not have to turn them completely off.

You do have to turn off wireless when not using it, or battery life goes way down. Since I check the news delivered by WiFi or 3G multiple times a day, I just keep the wireless on all the time, which brings down battery like to maybe two days. I charge nightly.

My wife keeps her's in airplane mode (no wireless), and it does last many weeks without a charge.

Re maturity of the technology, one can't rule out a breakthrough, but it seems fairly mature. Color eInk is not widely marketed, I suspect because the colors lack brightness.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
lachdanan

Thanks alot. That makes sense. These devices allow transferring files over usb I assume?

If so, that's good for me to disable wireless.

Yeah the color ones seems very desaturated colors with low values. It's ok though, I don't really need color too much.

I will see if I will start reading though. Because I also don't want to buy an ebook reader only to stop using after a couple dozen pages.

Thanks again
Old 01-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
Yes, you can transfer books using USB
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
lachdanan

Thanks Ayla. Btw is there a site that shows new/upcoming ebook readers?
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks Ayla. Btw is there a site that shows new/upcoming ebook readers?
Yes. It's called "MobileRead".