Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
TStphnsn
TStphnsn began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Calibre Support for audio

Hi.

Sorry for probably very basic questions, but I'm new to the epub world. I have published a book that is a bird field guide. I would like to convert it to epub format so that it can be available on the mobile color devices. The book has many pictures and also would benefit from linking many audio files to the sonograms in the work.

Can this be done using Calibre? Would I start with a PDF or Word document with embedded audio links and all of the text and pictures?

Thanks very much for any thoughts and clarity on this.
TStphnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
#1) PDF is probably the worst format to use as a source. Its purpose is to prevent differences in (print) rendering across systems.

#2) Audio is not supported by EPUB2 (most dedicated EPUB devices currently in use). Audio out is mostly a Tablet thing. Many devices have NO speakers, maybe a headphone jack. EPUB3 will have Audio (and require a device replacement )

I am not a fan of wors output... so I will take a pass on recommending that as an authoring tool.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
TStphnsn
TStphnsn began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thanks. Seems like iOS devices is still the way to go for audio....
TStphnsn is offline   Reply With Quote