Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
tado
tado began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Touch or Kindle 4th Gen ?

Hey, i'm a causally reader and looking into buying a Kindle. As of now the Paperwhite isn't available internationally and by the time is comes out in Canada it would cost probably about $150, or $160. For me my budget is $100 (give or take a few dollars). So i've watched a lot of videos comparing the two kindles (touch and 4th gen) and had a few questions about both of them.

Touch:
"Share" i've seen this feature only on the touch. It it mean i can email a select texted ?

Sync Software: Is Calibre the best desktop software to use ?

Instapaper/Readability: Has anyone had problems using the "send to kindle" function ?

4th Gen:
Hardware buttons feel comfortable ? I can see myself loving the "Next/back button"

Difficult to delete items ?

And if theres anyone out there that has tried both, i would like to hear your opinons on which one to buy
tado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Calibre isn't really sync software, in that Kindle syncing is done through Amazon. If you are talking about moving books to the Kindle, that's something else.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
tado

I have a collection of epub and PDF files that I would like to move onto my Kindle. Is Calibre the best choice for that ?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tado View Post
I have a collection of epub and PDF files that I would like to move onto my Kindle. Is Calibre the best choice for that ?
Kindle won't read epub files, although Calibre can convert them to a suitable format for you.

Have you considered a reader that will read epubs? Kobo, Sony, Nook etc...
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
tado

I've haven't considered really considered any other ebook readers. I would really like to get a Kindle. Converting files to epub dont really bother me.
Advert
Old 09-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
I've haven't considered really considered any other ebook readers. I would really like to get a Kindle. Converting files to epub dont really bother me.
Fair enough. You will need Calibre to convert your epubs then.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
tado

Another question:

For those who ordered from the Kindle Store (INTL prices) will I be charged the import/duty fees ?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Another question:

For those who ordered from the Kindle Store (INTL prices) will I be charged the import/duty fees ?
Probably. You have to check with your country's customs office. It's charged by them not the sender.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
tado

I just checked out the INTL Kindle Store for buying a Kindle 4th Gen, and the duty/custom fee is $9.98 CND. Just a FYI for those new buyers
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I just checked out the INTL Kindle Store for buying a Kindle 4th Gen, and the duty/custom fee is $9.98 CND. Just a FYI for those new buyers
You're in Canada? Go for a drive & grab one at Best Buy. They say 90% of Canada is an hour's drive from the border. Go for a drive! Look up a zip code for an area you'll be in & punch it into the Best Buy US website to check availability.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote