Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
krikket
krikket began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.0
Exclamation Accessing a backup of Calibre on Liniux

I have a "minor" problem, I'm hoping folks here can help me out with.

I'm running Calibre on Linux, specifically PCLinuxOS, with the latest version downloaded for both.

I've had some OS problems that caused me to back up all of my files on DVD, including my latest collection of almost 1,000 books. And then my Kindle died. I got a replacement from Amazon, and have been able to back up the list of book collections as I had 'em. Unfortunately, when I went to reinstall Calibre, it then rejected the current collection, and created a "Calibre Library2". So I go to re-add those books to my Kindle, and none of them are recognized by the Kindle as belonging into the various collections I had them in.

I really don't want to manually re-sort almost 1,000 books. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Krikket
krikket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikket View Post
I have a "minor" problem, I'm hoping folks here can help me out with.

I'm running Calibre on Linux, specifically PCLinuxOS, with the latest version downloaded for both.

I've had some OS problems that caused me to back up all of my files on DVD, including my latest collection of almost 1,000 books. And then my Kindle died. I got a replacement from Amazon, and have been able to back up the list of book collections as I had 'em. Unfortunately, when I went to reinstall Calibre, it then rejected the current collection, and created a "Calibre Library2". So I go to re-add those books to my Kindle, and none of them are recognized by the Kindle as belonging into the various collections I had them in.

I really don't want to manually re-sort almost 1,000 books. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Krikket
Make sure the Read only mode for the Files and Folders r-r-r did get set when copying from CD/DVD (does not happen if the Library folder was Zipped before burning)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
krikket

I just checked. The files are all r-r-r.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikket View Post
I just checked. The files are all r-r-r.
That is your problem. rrr is read only. the must be rwx--r--r-- at minimum
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
krikket

Do you happen to know offhand the chmod command to change it recursively? I checked the man and help files, but they were less than helpful. When it comes to the command line, Linux isn't as good as it used to be.
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
chmod -R a+wx /path
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #7
krikket

Thank you very much!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
krikket

My problem turns out to be a little more complex, but it's manageable at this point. The first two times I did this, I just ignored the problem and started manually adding books as I read them.

So in my home directory, I now have Calibre Library, Calibre Library2, and Calibre Library 3.

In those directories (before I ran the chmod command you just gave me) I see the following files:

-rw-r--r-- 1 krikket krikket 528384 Jun 24 20:17 metadata.db
-rw-rw-r-- 1 krikket krikket 12817 Jun 24 20:17 metadata_db_prefs_backup.json

Is there a way to merge the files from the 3 directories in a way that will make Calibre happy? (And yes, there are some duplicates...) If not, I can just take the directory with the most files and use that as a base. The problem is manageable at this point.

So once again, thank you very much!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The database (metadata.db) and the file structure must match, so you cannot merge the libraries without invalidating the db.

You can merge them and then rebuild the db using the recover command. I would attempt this in a fourth directory hierarchy to see if you like the results.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote