Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 AM   #466
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In the case of words such as ten-year-old, those as not hyphens. Those are dashes. Now if you had a word such as some-times, then yes, you have a hyphen that doesn't belong. But in most eBooks I've been reading, I've not seen a hyphen. I've seen dashes (they are not hyphens) and the hyphens I do see are added in on the fly by the reading software. So what you are worrying about is nothing at all. Hyphens/dashes are not the issue you make them out to be. If you have a scanned eBook that you scanned,just search for hyphens/dashes and delete the ones that are hyphens and leave the dashes. Simple really.
Jon, Jon, Jon... Where were you when your English class covered compound words? They come in three basic groups. Closed (grandfather & downstream as examples), open (carry over & half brother as examples) and, lastly, we have hyphenated compound words, Examples would be son-in-law, twenty-seven, ten-year-old, over-the-counter. As you might guess from the name "hyphenated compound words", the separator is a hyphen and not any flavour of dash. You would never use an en dash, an em dash or a figure dash to separate the segments of a compound work.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-20-2017 at 02:10 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #467
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
FYI, Chapters does still have the original H2O on their website, for $179. You just have to search for it. I personally chose that over the new, because I don't really want that funky adjust to orange light feature, plus I was worried that I wouldn't be able to put an older firmware on the new device, thus avoiding the new home screen, which I do not under any circumstances want.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #468
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
The problem with kepub is that in order not to have a problem with the last line you are forced to have a largish line height.
I find myself unable to reproduce this problem. Does it occur with particular fonts only, or with particular tweaks in place?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #469
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I find myself unable to reproduce this problem. Does it occur with particular fonts only, or with particular tweaks in place?
Try reducing the line height which might mean editing the eBook to remove line-height from CSS. Or it could be that the line height you prefer is enough not to see the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #470
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Try reducing the line height which might mean editing the eBook to remove line-height from CSS. Or it could be that the line height you prefer is enough not to see the problem.
It's been a while since I saw this. From memory, the only way to consistently reproduce it was with Charis SIL or one of its derivatives. And there is a high chance I was testing with one of your versions of this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #471
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Like Davidfor--It's been quite some time since I've seen this. I convert all of my books to kepub through the extended Kobo drivers before sending to my Kobos. I frequently adjust line height and font size. I do know it has happened to me before, as I do remember seeing it. But if the problem still exists, it's very infrequent or I've just been lucky.

For me, I use kepubs because I like the in-book reading statistics and the in-chapter page counts which are actually "screens" and dynamically change when you change font sizes.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #472
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
It's much more likely to happen if you've enabled the main line spacing patch in GeoffR's Kobo Patcher. I can make it happen very easily with any font (built-in or sideloaded) if I set the line spacing slider low enough.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is why the current unpatched Kobo slider minimum is so big (subjective, I know).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #473
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's much more likely to happen if you've enabled the main line spacing patch in GeoffR's Kobo Patcher. I can make it happen very easily with any font (built-in or sideloaded) if I set the line spacing slider low enough.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is why the current unpatched Kobo slider minimum is so big (subjective, I know).
Interesting--I can't remember if I have the line spacing patch enabled or not. When I get a chance I'll have to check this out. (Just to satisfy my curiousity)
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:33 AM   #474
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I mean that I tried to reproduce it and couldn't, not that I haven't stumbled across it. Line height is already stripped from CSS, and I can't see this issue even on the minimum line spacing setting.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:03 PM   #475
Cybrand
Cybrand began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Uneven lighting, unit #1

My first unit has the familiar uneven lightning: Dark on top, far more light on the bottom.
We send people to the moon, but even lightning looks like an utopia. This must be the 25+ Kobo I'm returning to the (online) store.
Kobo, they will never learn!
Cybrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #476
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrand View Post
My first unit has the familiar uneven lightning: Dark on top, far more light on the bottom.
We send people to the moon, but even lightning looks like an utopia. This must be the 25+ Kobo I'm returning to the (online) store.
Kobo, they will never learn!
That's disappointing. My Glo HD is perfectly even. It's my only Kobo so I don't know if I hit the jackpot or Kobo is now following in Amazon's footsteps.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:34 PM   #477
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
My KA1 is even at least as far as I can see.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #478
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
My new h20 has got great even lighting
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #479
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
My new h20 has got great even lighting
Are the H2O Edition 2s shipping already?
Old 05-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #480
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Are the H2O Edition 2s shipping already?
Yes, the H2O2 is already shipping. It's available from Kobo and Chapters.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote