Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #451
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with kepub is that in order not to have a problem with the last line you are forced to have a largish line height.
I don't know, my ebooks have removed instructions about line height and I've set to a line height which is comfortable for me (the person who reads at my ereader, you know )

Quote:
Also, when you set kepub to display with better typesetting, it does sometimes get the hyphenation incorrect.
I don't know, I removed hyphenation years ago and I've never got it back. I don't like it.

Quote:
There are a number of display issues with kepub that ePub doesn't have and ePub can give us more of a choice on how we won't our text to look.
It depends, I have all the options I need with kepub, I'm not very pricky with smallcaps, letterine (or whatever..), etc, etc.

In the end, all of us have different needs and there is not a general opinion for everybody.

A member of another forum sent me an ebook which he had modified with the letter he liked, a perfect black over the screen, perfect contrast... I wasn't able to read a page, for me it was aggresive and nasty.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #452
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Sounds like a personal problem, rather than a software rendering problem. So your initial statement about kepub vs epub is not correct.
It's not a personal problem. It's a software issue. So yes, my initial statement is correct. I can show you how I like to read ePub and there is no way you can duplicate it (ignoring the header).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #453
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I don't know, I removed hyphenation years ago and I've never got it back. I don't like it.
I know hyphenation is a personal think, but have you tried hyphenation with a hyphenation dictionary that doesn't have such ridiculous settings? The default left/right of 5 still can give many lines with gaps. So that makes hyphenation not all that useful. But with proper left/right settings of 2 or 3, you get many less lines with gaps and more hyphens.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #454
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
It's not a personal problem. It's a software issue. So yes, my initial statement is correct. I can show you how I like to read ePub and there is no way you can duplicate it (ignoring the header).
Except that's how-you- like it. Others can use it just fine with how they like it. So your statement is not correct. It's correct for -you- specifically but can't be used as a blanket statement.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:03 PM   #455
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I know hyphenation is a personal think, but have you tried hyphenation with a hyphenation dictionary that doesn't have such ridiculous settings? The default left/right of 5 still can give many lines with gaps. So that makes hyphenation not all that useful. But with proper left/right settings of 2 or 3, you get many less lines with gaps and more hyphens.
I have less problems with gaps than with broken words. I've got no problem with spaces in lines and I'm not interested in hyphens neither in English (I wouldn't know if they are divided right or not) not Spanish (my language, where the words are usually divided wrong, and I'm not interested in look for an hyphenation dictionary).

The reason is that typos and wrong-divided words make me lose focus in the reading (I see the fault, no the text), so I prefer avoid what I can.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 05-18-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:14 PM   #456
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I also turn off hyphenation completely, because early on, when early ebooks were scanned in, lots of hyphens were included from the printed version, and I got used to checking each one to see if it was an error or not. Drove me crazy, and I don't want ANY hyphens in my ebooks because I will feel compelled to check every single one of them. It's much less distracting for me (FOR ME) when there are no hyphens at all.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 AM   #457
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I too like some space between the lines. Minimum line heights are too crowded for my taste. And kepubs have other advantages, like faster page turning, the ability to double-tap on an image to view it fullscreen, and seeing how much time is left in the current chapter. The header and footer don't bother me at all, and if I am worried about how many times I am turning the page, I am not concentrating on whatever I am reading.
Advantages for you would not matter to me: my books don't have images, I don't care about time left in my current chapter (I don't like reading stats at all), and the header does bother me.

And that's why I love tools that have the option to set things up just as you like them.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 AM   #458
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I also turn off hyphenation completely, because early on, when early ebooks were scanned in, lots of hyphens were included from the printed version, and I got used to checking each one to see if it was an error or not. Drove me crazy, and I don't want ANY hyphens in my ebooks because I will feel compelled to check every single one of them. It's much less distracting for me (FOR ME) when there are no hyphens at all.
The hyphenation we are talking about are not in the books. They are added in on the fly. So there is no hyphenation in the books. So there would be no need to check books for hyphens.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 AM   #459
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The hyphenation we are talking about are not in the books. They are added in on the fly. So there is no hyphenation in the books. So there would be no need to check books for hyphens.
Jon, all books use hyphens, either correctly or (in the case of poorly prepared scans) incorrectly. How can you say there is no hyphenation in the books? Compound words like ten-year-old boy or hyphen-hating reader use hyphens correctly. But unless the incorrect hyphen shows up in the middle of the line or is blatantly wrong, there is no way to tell the difference between one added on the fly or one that has been incorrectly left in from a poorly edited scan, unless I turn off hyphenation, period. I also do not like it when nearly every line ends with a hyphenated word, which sometimes happens. I find it distracting. So I turn off hyphenation.

Last edited by icallaci; 05-19-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #460
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Advantages for you would not matter to me: my books don't have images, I don't care about time left in my current chapter (I don't like reading stats at all), and the header does bother me.

And that's why I love tools that have the option to set things up just as you like them.
I agree with you completely. I was trying to respond to Jon's statement that epubs are somehow objectively better than kepubs. It's all subjective, as far as I'm concerned. Stuff that matters to me doesn't matter to someone else. That's what I love about Kobos. For all their problems, I'm still able to have things my way, most of the time.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #461
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon, all books use hyphens, either correctly or (in the case of poorly prepared scans) incorrectly. How can you say there is no hyphenation in the books? Compound words like ten-year-old boy or hyphen-hating reader use hyphens correctly. But unless the incorrect hyphen shows up in the middle of the line or is blatantly wrong, there is no way to tell the difference between one added on the fly or one that has been incorrectly left in from a poorly edited scan, unless I turn off hyphenation, period. I also do not like it when nearly every line ends with a hyphenated word, which sometimes happens. I find it distracting. So I turn off hyphenation.
In the case of words such as ten-year-old, those as not hyphens. Those are dashes. Now if you had a word such as some-times, then yes, you have a hyphen that doesn't belong. But in most eBooks I've been reading, I've not seen a hyphen. I've seen dashes (they are not hyphens) and the hyphens I do see are added in on the fly by the reading software. So what you are worrying about is nothing at all. Hyphens/dashes are not the issue you make them out to be. If you have a scanned eBook that you scanned,just search for hyphens/dashes and delete the ones that are hyphens and leave the dashes. Simple really.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #462
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
In the case of words such as ten-year-old, those as not hyphens. Those are dashes. Now if you had a word such as some-times, then yes, you have a hyphen that doesn't belong. But in most eBooks I've been reading, I've not seen a hyphen. I've seen dashes (they are not hyphens) and the hyphens I do see are added in on the fly by the reading software. So what you are worrying about is nothing at all. Hyphens/dashes are not the issue you make them out to be. If you have a scanned eBook that you scanned,just search for hyphens/dashes and delete the ones that are hyphens and leave the dashes. Simple really.
Jon, some people just don't like hyphens in their books.

Simple, really.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #463
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Jon, some people just don't like hyphens in their books.

Simple, really.

Shari
Yes, I realize this. The problem here is getting the terminology wrong and maybe confusing others with it.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #464
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
In the case of words such as ten-year-old, those as not hyphens. Those are dashes.
Sorry Jon, but that is a hyphen. Your example is a compound word and only a hyphens should be used to connect them.
Quote:
Now if you had a word such as some-times, then yes, you have a hyphen that doesn't belong. But in most eBooks I've been reading, I've not seen a hyphen.
Well I have plenty of books that have hyphens where there should be either an emdash or endash (choice dependent on the style rules being followed.)
Quote:
I've seen dashes (they are not hyphens) and the hyphens I do see are added in on the fly by the reading software. So what you are worrying about is nothing at all. Hyphens/dashes are not the issue you make them out to be. If you have a scanned eBook that you scanned,just search for hyphens/dashes and delete the ones that are hyphens and leave the dashes. Simple really.
You are talking about hyphenation for text justification. You should make sure that that is understood. icallaci is talking about hyphens used for other legitimate purposes.

Personally, I don't find the full justification and automatic hyphenation done in my ereaders to be very good, so I removed justification from books I edit unless I think there is a reason for it. It has improved over time and it generally doesn't bug me to much if I am reading a purchased kepub. Yes, I could try the improved hyphenation dictionary, but it isn't worth the effort if I am already editing the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #465
icallaci
Guru

Those are hyphens, Jon. Dashes are either en dashes (usually British or between a range of numbers) or em dashes (usually American). Hyphens are the shortest horizontal line, en dashes are slightly longer than hyphens (the width of an "n" in typography), and em dashes are the longest of all (the width of an "m"). Ten-year-old boy uses hyphens, not dashes.