Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

While I agree that the new file system is a great improvement, I'm not sure I want it this minute. In other words, this sounds like something I could have waited for until the next iThingie I buy. Unfortunately we all know that Apple upon release of iOS 10.3 will be unrelenting, and uber annoying in their attempts to force us into updating. I don't blame them for that attitude as it makes maintenance of iOS easier to have people using the latest greatest, but still....I do wish Apple treated iOS users more like they do Mac users. Sierra has been out since last summer and they never bother me to update my Macs from El Capitan to Sierra. I got a few emails telling me how great they thought Sierra was, but nothing annoying.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In fairness, iOS upgrades aren't all that intrusive. My iPad Air 2 is on a version of iOS a couple of releases old, and I get a "do you want to upgrade" pop-up perhaps every couple of weeks. All I do is tap the "remind me later" link.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In fairness, iOS upgrades aren't all that intrusive. My iPad Air 2 is on a version of iOS a couple of releases old, and I get a "do you want to upgrade" pop-up perhaps every couple of weeks. All I do is tap the "remind me later" link.
It is intrusive to me because I have to tap that GD remind me later button every day in the few weeks immediately following the update release. And it puts a permanent reminder on the Settings icon as I recall. It is like the solicitor at your front door who won't leave or quit ringing your doorbell until you pull a Secondhand Lions on him and put a shotgun in his face. It is definitely annoying, at least here in the USA. Perhaps Apple isn't as anal retentive about it in other countries.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

An old issue returns with Mac OS X

This is a Mac OS X El Capitan issue, but another reason I just don't feel comfortable being an early adopter of updates. This is the third time in the past year this issue has occurred. Apple will update an app and push it out to the App Store on my MacBook Pro. Usually it is an update to iTunes, but not always. I install this update. Then the next day they tell me to install the exact same update again, so I do. This continues for a few to several day, becoming extremely annoying rather quickly. Well it happened again (third time now) this time with the iTunes 12.6 update. On March 22 the App Store asked me to install and I did. Again on March 23 the App Store asked me to install the same update and I did. I fully expect to be asked again today and even a few more times after today. If Apple can screw up something like this, then surely they can screw up with big updates like iOS 10.3.

This snafu is particularly annoying because iTunes is a crappy app. It always has been. I rarely use the the darn thing except to backup my iThingies. I don't back up to the iCloud. I don't like it for a photo library, or music library (I'm a Pandora fan), are for anything really.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iTunes-12-6-a.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	801.5 KB
ID:	155810   Click image for larger version

Name:	iTunes-12-6-b.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	784.6 KB
ID:	155811  

Last edited by jswinden; 03-24-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:00 AM   #20
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I got duplicate updates to iTunes 12.6 as well (El Capitan). I think I have gotten 3 in total so far. Today's came along with a Safari update.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This snafu is particularly annoying because iTunes is a crappy app. It always has been. I rarely use the the darn thing except to backup my iThingies. I don't back up to the iCloud. I don't like it for a photo library, or music library (I'm a Pandora fan), are for anything really.
I really like iTunes. I find it very powerful, and very useful. What is your preferred audio librarian program?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 AM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I really like iTunes. I find it very powerful, and very useful. What is your preferred audio librarian program?
Harry I don't actually have more than a few dozen (at most) song files. For some reason I never got into collecting songs/albums except for a couple of years right after high school when cassette tapes were all the rage in the mid-1970s. After those tapes self-destructed I never set about replacing them with CD-Rom or MP3 versions. I love music, but I just never got into buying it. I prefer to just listen to the radio (old days) or Pandora (currently). So I really don't need a song library tool. Perhaps iTunes works well for music, but it sucks for storing other data types and it sucks for a backup app. IMO, Apple should separate the backup and file management into one or two other apps and just use iTunes as a music app. Trying to make iTunes a one stop serves multiple purposes app doesn't work well and it makes no sense.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I got duplicate updates to iTunes 12.6 as well (El Capitan). I think I have gotten 3 in total so far. Today's came along with a Safari update.
I was beginning to think I was the only one with duplicate updates. I guess their system is having trouble keeping track of which devices installed the update(s). Kind of annoying, but at least it only seems to happen a few times each year.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:27 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Harry I don't actually have more than a few dozen (at most) song files. For some reason I never got into collecting songs/albums except for a couple of years right after high school when cassette tapes were all the rage in the mid-1970s.
Fair enough.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #25
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
I really like iTunes. I find it very powerful, and very useful.
I love iTunes. I know this makes me strange as far as a lot of people are concerned but I have always loved the way it works.

Quote:
I was beginning to think I was the only one with duplicate updates.
I also occasionally get what seem to be duplicate updates on apps on my Mac through the App Store. I say "seem to be" because I have no idea if they are extremely minor revisions being pushed immediately or if they are actually the same app update. Only happens occasionally but otherwise the App Store update mechanism seems to be very reliable. I've never had an update hang, go in to an infinite loop, or anything like that.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote