Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #196
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.A.H View Post
so what is the diffrence between these two devices ??
From what's written, it's the same device, but sold from two different people living in two different countries.

If there would be some problems, you always have ebay and PayPal to complaint, so you're pretty secure.

And if you start comparing prices for any device sold on ebay, you're sure to spot price differ from seller to seller.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:02 AM   #197
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
can they somehow prevent me from installing koreader or not ?
Michael.A.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:16 AM   #198
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
No.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-830F using Tapatalk
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:46 AM   #199
Michael.A.H
Enthusiast
Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michael.A.H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
hi guys
i have found a Kobo Aura H2O on ebay for just 120$ , as i looked closly in the discription , it was written :
Rakuten Kobo e-book store, only PDF books that are sold in the Rakuten Kobo e-book store will be supported
so i want to know that wether or not is it possible to bypass this limit by installing and using koreader ,
thanks
Quote:
yes i know that .

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

and i want to be sure that this marked sentence will not cause me trouble .

thanks .
Quote:
thank you a lot , but why is it cheaper ? it makes me suspicious , it might have aproblem , but as i checked 116 units are sold and this seller has a 99,8% positive feedback . as you can see here .
but there are also ones with 200$ , as you can see here , and this seller has a 100% poisitive feedback .
so what is the diffrence between these two devices ??
i am really thankful for your such a quick and claer respond .
Quote:
i am not planning to use nickel to read my PDFs , i will be using koreader because of far more superior features compared to nickel ( handling PDFs ) .
does this mean i will not be facing any trouble ?
Quote:
Thanks for your replies .
i hope that i can make a good decision on the model and wether or not i should buy an ebook reader .
thank you guys .
Quote:
i will not buy from the ebay seller , i have found another online store which was on the kobo s site , so is ther any last advise ?i will placing my order today or tommorow ...

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-08-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Michael.A.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
i will not buy from the ebay seller , i have found another online store which was on the kobo s site , so is ther any last advise ?i will placing my order today or tommorow ...
Also buy a good sleep cover/case for your H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #201
c123
c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Cannot get to work on H2O

Hi,

I have a H2O bought a few days ago. I am following the install instructions from the first page. I can get launcher.png to display. Unfortunately however, something is not quite working right between steps 7 and 8. I copy KoboRoot.tgz from pbchess-2016.03_kobo to .kobo on the kobo device, but on ejecting nothing happens for a short while then I get a "re-starting". Afterwards there is no launcher to be found and on checking in .kobo, I see that KoboRoot.tgz is no longer there.

Previously I was able to get this working on my Kobo Aura.

What am I doing wrong / what can I try to do to get this working?
c123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #202
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You might be better off using this for your H2O.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #203
c123
c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.c123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Smile

Many thanks Ken, got KSM working now and have both alternative readers installed and ready for testing :)
c123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #204
readerbot
readerbot began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
stuck on step 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
7. Now that you are sure that the launcher png file has been correctly and completely processed by your kobo. Reconnect with your USB cable and copy the "KoboRoot.tgz" file from the .zip file to the .kobo directory. (Be sure it is in the .kobo directory.) Then safely eject the Koboreader drive and disconnect the USB cable. You should then see the Updating message on your kobo.
This is where I get stuck every time. Instead of the "Updating message" at the end of step 7, I get a flashing green light and a blank white screen.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank you.
readerbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #205
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readerbot View Post
This is where I get stuck every time. Instead of the "Updating message" at the end of step 7, I get a flashing green light and a blank white screen.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Thank you.
The stock Kobo programming that treats any KoboRoot.tgz as data for a "boot" process, is what handles this. If your factory reset doesn't allow this to work, then I would use the hack to avoid having the automatic wifi update/authorization, and try it that way. Then you might want to sideload a recent firmware version for your model.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-01-2016, 02:46 PM   #206
readerbot

Thanks, Ken. Can you link me to the hack that avoids the automatic wifi update/authorization? Much appreciated!
Old 11-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #207
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Here and then here.

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #208
readerbot

Thank you!
Old 06-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #209
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
Hi all,

At some point I had installed the Kobo Start Menu (KSM; version 8) and Koreader on my Kobo Aura H2O, and it worked fine; but currently I cannot manage to launch Koreader (from Nickel) or access the start menu. In the meantime I believe my firmware got updated (this happened on one of the rare occasions that I connected the reader to the Kobo software on my PC).

I suppose the update somehow broke the installation, and I should probably reinstall from scratch. When I connect the reader to my Windows PC and look at the files in there, I see a .adds directory (containing subdirectories kbmenu_user and koreader), and also a kbmenupngs directory (containing a number of .png files).

If I decide to reinstall from scratch, can I safely remove these directories and follow the instructions? Or, is there an alternative way of "repairing" the installation?
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #210
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a dedicated KSM thread in the Kobo Developers forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote