Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #1
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Reading Web Pages Offline?

I often print web pages to pdf to read on my computer or my e-reader. Preferably my e-reader.

I am wondering if other people have found it easier to read web pages as html, pdf, epub, etc...? I currently use Firefox and don't see an easy way to export pages to epub.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #2
PandathePanda
a toy panda
PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PandathePanda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Android dvices
I uses dotepub to save pages. They say they have a firefox plugin, but I haven't used it, I've only used the chrome plugin.
PandathePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I couldn't see it among the available add-ons. I am trying GrabMyBook, but haven't gotten that one working yet.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
MarjaE
Guru

GrabMyBooks doesn't work with every page, and the exports don't show up properly in my e-reader. They show up as "GrabMyBooks articles" instead of by their titles. They show up by their titles on my computer, so I can't fix that from there.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
Well, I use Pocket, which works fine, for offline use on a computer, but no export to EPUB unfortunately. But it does have apps for iOS and Android and also, Kobo, which for me most of the time suffices. Also, it requires an account and for saving web pages offline, you require the Addon/Extension for your respective web browser.

You can get it here: http://getpocket.com/
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 AM   #6
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
There are several possibilities:
dotEPUB: http://dotepub.com/ (seriously, this is the first link found in google when entering dotepub. How you couldn't find it eludes me)

pocket articles can be converted using calibres fetch news feature, there is a recipe for it

Push to kindle: http://fivefilters.org/kindle-it/ despite the name it also supports epub

Readability:https://www.readability.com/

and I think there are even more. All of the above have a firefox extension.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
MarjaE
Guru

I couldn't find it, because I was looking in the add-on search, not in Google. like I said: "I couldn't see it among the available add-ons." I use Google for some things, because DuckDuckGo doesn't work and doesn't have scholar search, but I don't like to use Google.

Last edited by MarjaE; 07-13-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #8
bmix
bmix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4,reMarkable2,MoonReader Pro
You may want to check out http://wallabag.org. It's open source, can be self-hosted (but they also offer a free service) and it let's you export any article as ePub.
bmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #9
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Which brand of eReader do you have? Kobo devices now have Pocket as a pre-installed app and I've started using it for reading web-pages offline (on eInk) and been quite pleased with it so far.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:46 AM   #10
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
I use http://wallabag.org

It is really good and lets you install it as a local server. I think that there are plans to integrate it into KOReader as well/
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
MarjaE
Guru

I use an Iriver Story HD. It can't handle plain html or text files.

I have some trouble because Grabmybooks corrupts tables, and Calibre requires more work. With Gramybooks, I have to save as epub, correct the metadata, and sideload. With Calibre, I have to save as html, import into calibre, convert to epub, merge, correct the metadata, quit Calibre, rummage through its subfolders, and sideload. I haven't even tested if it corrupts tabes or not.

Is there an easy way to save multiple pages as a single epub without corrupting tables?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
jebradley
jebradley began at the beginning.

Device: none
If you want to deal with a different book format, iSiloX works well. You plug the web page address in, tell it how deep you want to go (it will pull linked files from linked files, and so on depending how deep you want to pull, and where you want to save the document. It saves it in a prc format readable on the iSilo reader (available for multiple formats). I started using it on a Palm phone, and still use it occasionally. iSiloX is freeware, but the iSilo reader, unfortunately is not, but they do have a trial period. Their trial reader will work indefinitely, but links within a document won't work. You can still read an entire document by going from page to page, though.
jebradley is offline   Reply With Quote