Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Patch for DR1000 firmware

NOTE there are newer versions available in this thread, the newest version is p14, see message #266.

I am starting to look what to improve on the published firmware, this is the first version of my patches it adds/changes:
- For 'shortcuts' it shows the name that is IN the desktop file and not the name of the desktop file.
- Due to a bug (?), the last-read date-time of opened files was not updated for the DR1000. This is now fixed.
- I changed the behaviour of Recently Added to Recently Read in Home. This is only a first start, I want to add new items to Home in the future and not change the behaviour of existing ones. This allows quick access to the last-read documents. (Note that only after installation of this patch, the last-read date/time will be updated, so the initial content will be rather 'random'.)

NOTE: THIS ONLY WORKS ON THE DR1000!

To install click on Programs/Install/ApplyMackxPatch.desktop, it saves a copy of the original ctb, which can be restored with RestoreMackxPatch, or by re-installing the firmware.

I also included the changed files.

Please give me your feedback.

PS: I am not sure if updating firmware is suitable for everyone, so I post this in the development sub-forum.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MackxPatch-dr1000-p1.zip (40.6 KB, 939 views)
File Type: zip MackxPatch-dr1000-p1-src.zip (23.3 KB, 883 views)

Last edited by Mackx; 03-31-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: releasing p14
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Hey, this looks really interesting!
I will study it carefully by the ends of August.

<dream mode=on>
Some weeks ago I was thinking on "improving" default ctb. Some ideas:
- create a new view "favourites". I have lot of books in the DR and I keep adding more and more, so I want an easy way to build an order list to remember which is the next book I want to read, resort them, and so on. Similar thinking that the "last read" feature you have added.
- embed lua inside ctb. This will allow to code new views very easily.
</dream>

Anyway I'll have 2 weeks of holidays to think about it

ADDED LATER:
- I've been looking at your modifications... why do you think it won't work on DR800?
- what's the purpose of shortcuts in DR1000? could you post some screenshots please?

LATER:
Ok, I've compiled ctb specifying DR1000 target and it seems to work without problems on the DR800 emulator.
On the other hand, DR1000 shortcuts are quite similar to my wished "favourites" view, even better as it can be accessed from anywhere.

Other differences between CTB DR1000 and DR800 are:
. View as Details
. Sort by Type, Sort by Size
not really as interesting nor useful than Shortcuts.

Btw, shortcuts icon is really ugly!!!

Iņigo

Last edited by Iņigo; 08-01-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
- I changed the behaviour of Recently Added to Recently Read in Home.
THIS is very nice and is working gooooooood. for this!
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
After installing your patch and restarting the device all I got was a black screen and a toolbar (with the text: "page 2 of 11").

I had to restart the device several times and copy firmware files which triggered the update notice. Then I hit "cancel" and everything worked fine. Then I switched off the device.

Thing is now I can't run it again. Neither holding the middle button nor pushing the reset button function. Any ideas how to make it work again besides just waiting?
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
owl123
Addict

OK, waiting helped. I managed to reset the device after some time. Then I reinstalled the firmware and applied the patch again. Now the device hanged just after applying the patch. I was unable to reset the device once more. I waited again and now everything works just fine.

I'm not sure if my problems were just random or if they have something to do with the patch.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Shortcuts for DR800

EDIT: new version with View as Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
Hey, this looks really interesting!
I will study it carefully by the ends of August.

<dream mode=on>
Some weeks ago I was thinking on "improving" default ctb. Some ideas:
- create a new view "favourites". I have lot of books in the DR and I keep adding more and more, so I want an easy way to build an order list to remember which is the next book I want to read, resort them, and so on. Similar thinking that the "last read" feature you have added.
- embed lua inside ctb. This will allow to code new views very easily.
</dream>

[...]

LATER:
Ok, I've compiled ctb specifying DR1000 target and it seems to work without problems on the DR800 emulator.
On the other hand, DR1000 shortcuts are quite similar to my wished "favourites" view, even better as it can be accessed from anywhere.

[...]
Iņigo
Ok, DR1000's ctb doesn't work correctly on DR800 devices, keys f.e. are different.

Anyway, find attached a version of ctb binary compiled for DR800S (it should work on DR800SG without regressions, but be warned that I've only tested on my own DR800S).

Features over standard ctb:
- shortcuts!!!!
- Sort by Type, Sort by Size
- View as Details
- Mackx's ideas above:
. "For 'shortcuts' it shows the name that is IN the desktop file and not the name of the desktop file"
. "I changed the behaviour of Recently Added to Recently Read in Home. This is only a first start, I want to add new items to Home in the future and not change the behaviour of existing ones. This allows quick access to the last-read documents."

I don't provide a diff nor patches because I've only added a few MACHINE_IS_DR800S here and there.

I neither provide an installation method until more people test it. Just copy the attached file (once uncompressed) as /usr/bin/ctb.
Of course, backup original program first.

Thanks Mackx for the idea.

I also would thank to iRex people again for their marvellous devices and to allow us to look, study and modify the firmware. Thanks a lot! I wish the best for you.

Iņigo

PS: btw, have I ever mentioned that shortcuts are quite useful!!!
Attached Files
File Type: gz ctb.dr800+.gz (41.0 KB, 848 views)

Last edited by Iņigo; 08-02-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
OK, waiting helped. I managed to reset the device after some time. Then I reinstalled the firmware and applied the patch again. Now the device hanged just after applying the patch. I was unable to reset the device once more. I waited again and now everything works just fine.

I'm not sure if my problems were just random or if they have something to do with the patch.
Hi owl123,

After applying the patch it does an internal reset of the device, which might look strange, because the DR freezes with some strange content, but after one minute it should be restarted and using the new ctb. It worries me that it does not work correctly on your device. Which version of the firmware did you apply the patch to? How did you unzip/copy the patch to your SD-card? Which OS are you using to do this? I hope this was just a glitch.

Do I read your message correct, that you now have the patch working correctly?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
Mackx
Guru

@Iņigo,

I have been away for a few days, so I couldn't answer your questions, but it seems that you managed very well in answering them yourself

I am currently experimenting with a way to get the 'views' in the Home screen configurable, so that it would be easy to add new views (or hide existing onces from the Home screen). I currently have an Application-View icon and an Installation Files-icon on the emulator, so creating new views is not that difficult. I am now thinking on how to make it user configurable.

I will also need some way to modify the tags of a document, without breaking the current behaviour.

I currently have my holidays, so I have some more time then I would normal have to play with the DR. (I will also go to Barcelona for a few days, so I do not spend all my days behind a computer and DR.)
Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
owl123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx;
Hi owl123,

After applying the patch it does an internal reset of the device, which might look strange, because the DR freezes with some strange content, but after one minute it should be restarted and using the new ctb. It worries me that it does not work correctly on your device. Which version of the firmware did you apply the patch to? How did you unzip/copy the patch to your SD-card? Which OS are you using to do this? I hope this was just a glitch.

Do I read your message correct, that you now have the patch working correctly?
It's ok now.

I have the newest rc3 firmware and used Total Commander and WinXP to copy the files.

I'm so glad we have recent files patch back :-)
Old 08-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
@Iņigo,

I currently have my holidays, so I have some more time then I would normal have to play with the DR. (I will also go to Barcelona for a few days, so I do not spend all my days behind a computer and DR.)

Barcelona?! I live there!!!
when are you coming? we could share some beers

I'll start my holidays next Saturday, but my (pregnant) wife is carrying me to a place with no much internet connection and no computers...

I hope you don't come here when I'm away on holidays, it would be a pity.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
@Iņigo,
[...]
I am currently experimenting with a way to get the 'views' in the Home screen configurable, so that it would be easy to add new views (or hide existing onces from the Home screen). I currently have an Application-View icon and an Installation Files-icon on the emulator, so creating new views is not that difficult. I am now thinking on how to make it user configurable.
[...]

I couldn't resist and took a look at ctb sources before holidays too.
I agree, it doesn't look very difficult, even for a guy like me who doesn't code in C since 10 years ago .

I think the App view could be similar to the way Shortcuts works (filetype==desktop) but filtering by directory_path.

Regarding the configuration,
you could create a new entry in "/usr/share/ctb/settings/" (f.e. "views.desktop") which run a simple program showing a listview with checkboxes for each type of view. Settings could go to /etc/viewrc or to gconf keys and CTB would read them.

Iņigo
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
I couldn't resist and took a look at ctb sources before holidays too.
I agree, it doesn't look very difficult, even for a guy like me who doesn't code in C since 10 years ago .

I think the App view could be similar to the way Shortcuts works (filetype==desktop) but filtering by directory_path.

Regarding the configuration,
you could create a new entry in "/usr/share/ctb/settings/" (f.e. "views.desktop") which run a simple program showing a listview with checkboxes for each type of view. Settings could go to /etc/viewrc or to gconf keys and CTB would read them.

Iņigo
I am currently using the tag to identify applications and installer programs, to be independent on the location where they are stored. Looking at the location would also be an alternative.

W.r.t. the configuration I am thinking in simular lines as you do.

PS: w.r.t. the holidays I send a mail to your gmail-account.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Iņigo
Guru

CTB for different DR800 versions

A new and clean compilation of CTB for the different DR800 models.

Features over standard ctb:
- Shortcuts!!!!
- Sort by Type, Sort by Size
- View as Details (I've removed modification date column to make file name readable)

I don't provide an installation method until more people test it. Just copy the attached file (once uncompressed) as /usr/bin/ctb.
Of course, backup original program first. Note that I only tested dr800s model.

This version does *not* include the modifications Mackx made in the original message.

Anyway, I've spent some time cleaning the patch and even adding conditional compilation to the configure script (--enable-dr800plus).

Mackx, I think we could share a source repository, once we come back from holidays.
What do you think about GoogleCode and mercurial as RCS?

Iņigo
Attached Files
File Type: gz ctb.dr800s+.gz (40.8 KB, 743 views)
File Type: gz ctb.dr800sg+.gz (41.2 KB, 716 views)
File Type: gz ctb.dr800sw+.gz (41.2 KB, 710 views)
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 AM   #14
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Mackx, I think we could share a source repository, once we come back from holidays.
What do you think about GoogleCode and mercurial as RCS?
MobileRead also provides a repository I never used any of them, so I do not have a preference.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
Iņigo
Guru

Quote:
MobileRead also provides a repository I never used any of them, so I do not have a preference.
That was my first thought but having to use subversion seems to antique for such a decentralized effort.

Uhmmm... what I mean is that it would be difficult to work on different branches (DR1000, DR800).

Last edited by Iņigo; 08-04-2010 at 08:15 AM.