Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
kobofirmware 2.0 - An easy way to get the latest firmware links

As some of you may have noticed, I have been working on (and just finished) a major redesign of my kobofirmware page over the past few weeks.

Here are the main improvements and new features:
  • Higher information density on tables (it now fits a lot better and looks cleaner)
  • Past versions table (like the one on the wiki)
  • Version availability by device table (a dense chart showing which versions are available for every device)
  • Version availability by affiliate table (a chart showing which affiliates have which versions for every device)
  • 3x faster loading
  • Error reporting (with Sentry) so I can fix errors right away
  • A better filter bar (less false positives)
  • A cleaner design
  • If you use an adblocker (which is fine with me), the placeholder for the ads will not take up space
  • Nicer dialogs
  • Many bugfixes
  • More reliable date extraction
  • Nicer changelog viewer
Please try it and tell me what you think (suggestions, bugs, feedback, etc).

Last edited by geek1011; 05-27-2018 at 03:46 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are some screenshots of the 3 new views and the new design for the latest version table.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	verdev.png
Views:	355
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	163634   Click image for larger version

Name:	affver.png
Views:	372
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	163635   Click image for larger version

Name:	fwver.png
Views:	354
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	163636   Click image for larger version

Name:	latestfw.png
Views:	336
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	163637  
Advert
Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Here are some screenshots of the 3 new views and the new design for the latest version table.
Looks good. Are the tables taken from the Wiki page? Or another source? If the "All old versions by hardware" table comes from the Wiki, is there any reason to strip the link to the discussion thread?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Looks good. Are the tables taken from the Wiki page? Or another source? If the "All old versions by hardware" table comes from the Wiki, is there any reason to strip the link to the discussion thread?
Everything on the downloader page is generated (including all the charts and tables).

The old versions are automatically stored in a db by a script I made here, and this is the code used to generate the table based on it.

What do you think of the shades of red and green I picked? I personally feel like they are a bit glaring, but I'm not sure what I should change it to.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Everything on the downloader page is generated (including all the charts and tables).
But, unless you have been collecting this information for a lot longer than I thought, the data in "All old versions by hardware". At first glance, it looked like like what is on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...ses#Firmware_2, but, I can see it isn't exactly the same.
Quote:
The old versions are automatically stored in a db by a script I made here, and this is the code used to generate the table based on it.

What do you think of the shades of red and green I picked? I personally feel like they are a bit glaring, but I'm not sure what I should change it to.
Hmm, I think I agree that they aren't quite right, but, I have no idea what to suggest instead. I'm terrible with colours and am quite happy to let my wife dress me when it comes to colour combinations
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
First of all, thanks for your work.

I do think the colors are a bit glaring. I assume you are working with excel: you can choose a set of colors in the theme that are softer, or alternately choose them in the "other colors" wheel.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #7
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
First of all, thanks for your work.
You're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I do think the colors are a bit glaring. I assume you are working with excel: you can choose a set of colors in the theme that are softer, or alternately choose them in the "other colors" wheel.
The tables are not made using excel. They are generated on the fly with JavaScript.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #8
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
But, unless you have been collecting this information for a lot longer than I thought, the data in "All old versions by hardware". At first glance, it looked like like what is on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...ses#Firmware_2, but, I can see it isn't exactly the same.
I usually skip versions with major problems in the past versions list. As for how I get the info: for the stuff before 2014, I get the info from the wiki, and for the stuff after I checked manually, and since 2015 I've been using my script.

Also note that the wiki does not have anything like the version availability table (the one with colors) or the affiliate table. It will not ever be able to have something like the affiliate table, as it needs to be automatically generated from the API.

Quote:
Hmm, I think I agree that they aren't quite right, but, I have no idea what to suggest instead. I'm terrible with colours and am quite happy to let my wife dress me when it comes to colour combinations
Same here.

Last edited by geek1011; 04-25-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
This looks very nice and clean so thanks for putting in that work and sharing it with us... thumbs up!!
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
This looks very nice and clean so thanks for putting in that work and sharing it with us... thumbs up!!
Thanks! Any other ideas for more tables/charts to add?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Excellent work geek1011! I like it so much.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Excellent work geek1011! I like it so much.
Thanks! Any suggestions for more features?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:42 PM   #13
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Thanks! Any suggestions for more features?
It's a bit unfair to ask because it requires manual upkeep, but a list of known bugs for each released firmware could be helpful to some. I see posts of the "what's broken in version x.y.z?" with some regularity.

Many thanks for making this tool!
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #14
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
It's a bit unfair to ask because it requires manual upkeep, but a list of known bugs for each released firmware could be helpful to some. I see posts of the "what's broken in version x.y.z?" with some regularity.

Many thanks for making this tool!
You're welcome! I'm actually already planning on a better changelog feature already (but I don't have an ETA yet).
Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #15
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
You're welcome! I'm actually already planning on a better changelog feature already (but I don't have an ETA yet).
I was referring more to the issues discovered and reported by the community members for each firmware than to the official changelog from Kobo. Things like "broken reading stats in 4.7.xxx" and so on. That's why I said it requires manual upkeep as you can't fetch that automatically from anywhere . I think the changelog you show right now is perfectly adequate.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, firmware, kobofirmware