Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #1
edent
Enthusiast
edent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameteredent can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Likebook Ares, Kindle 3G, Nook STR, 511eb
Don't keep converted files?

Is there any way to tell Calibre to delete the converted version once it has been sent to a device?

I've got lots of .epub files. When I send to a Kindle, they get automatically converted - that's fine, and they look great. But I don't want to keep the converted ones. I just want to keep the originals.

I've checked the help file and the settings, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like it will do what I want.

(I only want to keep the originals for disk space reasons - and so that I can take advantage of better conversion techniques in the future.)

Thanks!
edent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Well, on my Mac I have a folder named Calibre Library where the folders are alphabetized by the authors first name (don't know why not by last name). In the author folder are folders for each title by that author which contain 4 files: cover.jpg, metadata.opf, book title.azw3, and book title.epub. You could manually delete the unwanted book title files.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Nope!

Calibre does remember the last used (per book) manual conversion settings.

Maybe it is time to upsize your HD Cloning the installed drive onto a bigger one is pretty easy (assumes there is a bigger one available).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Click unwanted format in Tag browser formats to get a Green +, select all books (Ctrl+A), then from Remove books dropdown select Remove files of a specific format from selected books - FWIW I gave that action a shortcut - Alt+Del.

Arrow down to the undesired format (AZW3, MOBI, whatever), hit space bar to select, and then hit Enter. There maybe another way to do it, but that's the way I do it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:46 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Well, on my Mac I have a folder named Calibre Library where the folders are alphabetized by the authors first name (don't know why not by last name). In the author folder are folders for each title by that author which contain 4 files: cover.jpg, metadata.opf, book title.azw3, and book title.epub. You could manually delete the unwanted book title files.
Manually doing something with the files in the library folder is an absolute no-no. Calibre won't record those changes in its database and you'll end up with a seriously messed up library.

BetterRed described the quickest way to get rid of a certain format.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Manually deleting files (or adding them) in the calibre library is definitely not recommended and a Very Bad Idea. The database keeps track of those files and manually removed files can result in an inconsistent database. While Library Maintenance can correct some of the potential issues, it's best not to tempt Murphy.

Edit: Should have read to the end of the thread before replying. Sirtel said much the same in a shorter form.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edent View Post
Is there any way to tell Calibre to delete the converted version once it has been sent to a device?

I've got lots of .epub files. When I send to a Kindle, they get automatically converted - that's fine, and they look great. But I don't want to keep the converted ones. I just want to keep the originals.

I've checked the help file and the settings, but I'm not seeing anything that looks like it will do what I want.

(I only want to keep the originals for disk space reasons - and so that I can take advantage of better conversion techniques in the future.)

Thanks!
How do you get amazon to convert epubs? When I send epubs to either one of my kindles they never get there.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
How do you get amazon to convert epubs? When I send epubs to either one of my kindles they never get there.
I don't use Amazon to convert files but several people have referenced renaming the .epub to .txt and then Amazon will convert it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:41 PM   #9
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Click unwanted format in Tag browser formats to get a Green +, select all books (Ctrl+A), then from Remove books dropdown select Remove files of a specific format from selected books - FWIW I gave that action a shortcut - Alt+Del.

Arrow down to the undesired format (AZW3, MOBI, whatever), hit space bar to select, and then hit Enter. There maybe another way to do it, but that's the way I do it.

BR

I have no "formats" showing in my Tag browser, how do I enable this fix? There is a "Formats" column, but no "Format" in the list of tags
Old 02-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Default Send To Device Options - Remove from Library

I thought I remembered some default actions in the drop-down on the side of the Send to Device icon.

Sure enough, one of these is "Send and delete from library". I tried that yesterday, and it did not seem to work.

Another one is "Set default send to device action", and under that, again is "Send and delete from library". I played with that and it didn't seem to work either.

Until today, after restarting the PC and Calibre. I bought a book, did my usual "bad eyes editing", and sent it to my Kobo. ZAP! No copies left in the library. It not only deleted the kepub.epub it made sending to the Kobo, it also blew away the original azw3 I bought, and the epub I had made and edited. Nothing really lost, I could retrieve them, but what a surprise.

So I guess it's a case of be careful what you ask for. And a note to self: only mess with this sort of thing in the Test Library!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I have no "formats" showing in my Tag browser, how do I enable this fix? There is a "Formats" column, but no "Format" in the list of tags
You must have hidden it at some time, right click in white space and select Show all categories.

BR
Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you have a Formats column, it is custom and needs a custom way of populating it.
The Tag Browser is the standard place. BR told you how to get it back
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #13
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
You must have hidden it at some time, right click in white space and select Show all categories.

BR
D'Oh! I parsed "Tag browser formats" wrongly, and was looking in the "Tags" - didn't even notice "Fornats" just above it. Thanks
Old 02-19-2019, 02:25 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
D'Oh! I parsed "Tag browser formats" wrongly, and was looking in the "Tags" - didn't even notice "Fornats" just above it. Thanks
Easy mistake to make, pity the thing we call the Tag Browser, wasn't branded as the Category Browser (or Cat Tree).

BR
Old 06-04-2019, 12:32 AM   #15
punkadiddle
punkadiddle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:

BR
I'm also looking for a feature to not keep automatically generated formats when uploading. Those should go into a temp directory.
The distinction on what to keep is not on the format but on the "original" file (which ever was there first). Anything else can be regenerated in no time from it and does not need to be stored.
punkadiddle is offline   Reply With Quote