Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-07-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Monte Cristo 4 issues

This post was originally a cry for help with problems with my new MC4. I've solved most of them, so here's a quick review, and particularly a comparison with the older Kepler Pro.

Hardware
  • It comes with a quad core processor, which makes it a bit faster but, I suspect, gives worse battery life (I haven't used it long enough, nor use it for long periods without recharging, so I can't be sure).
  • The mechanical page turn buttons on the K-Pro are replaced with three touch sensors (page turn and back). The page turn sensors are however a tad insensitive and close to the touch screen, meaning in that pressing them sufficiently firmly, it is not uncommon to accidentally activate the touchscreen instead. They are definitely an improvement over the old buttons, but do not seem suited to one-handed reading.
  • The touchscreen is slightly miscalibrated. This is particularly noticeable on the software keyboard, where unless you are careful to press only the bottom half of the keys (generally requiring a stylus), you frequently get the key above the one you were trying to press. I have read of other owners having this issue.
  • The reader (unlike the K-Pro) comes with a two-tone (yellow & cool white) adjustable frontlight. It appears even (except for a slight darker 'frame' on the edges of all sides), but I don't use a light at all, so I haven't looked too closely with it.

Firmware
  • (Unlike the K-Pro) It does not come with Google Play Store. I eventually found Good E-Reader's e-ink focused store.
  • The external SD card cannot be found in the more obvious places in the Android file tree (I eventually found it under /mnt), making syncing problematical for a while.
  • (Unlike the K-Pro) It is not possible to turn the WiFi off and on from the WiFi icon at the top of the screen.
  • The Settings menu (including access to WiFi -- see above) is hidden on the home screen.

Last edited by Hrafn; 02-09-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
michaelddorsey
michaelddorsey began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wow, i wish my friend http://www.jomsocial.com/community/5...k-hall/profile read this post before he returned his MC4. He is a bit impulsive, and this soft is not for him but if he read it i think he ll be ok
michaelddorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddorsey View Post
Wow, i wish my friend http://www.jomsocial.com/community/5...k-hall/profile read this post before he returned his MC4. He is a bit impulsive, and this soft is not for him but if he read it i think he ll be ok
Yes, I was seriously thinking about returning mine for the first several hours. It was a very steep learning curve.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
Hrafn
Fanatic

I came back to my MC4 after a week of inactivity (left it on the charger), and it's as dead as a door-nail. I've emailed Boox Russo-America, but will probably end up returning it.

Addendum: it turned out what I needed to do was detach it from the power source, hold the power button down for 20 sec & then re-attach it to the power source. At which point it rebooted and started charging normally.

Perfectly obvious. /s

Last edited by Hrafn; 02-21-2019 at 02:53 AM.