Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
09 09 09

All around the world it is 09/09/09 today ... no matter that some of us put the month before the day ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
All around the world it is 09/09/09 today ... no matter that some of us put the month before the day ....
That, is cool, I had not reflected about that

And next year, we'll be able to say the same for 10/10/10

Last year tho, the capital of sweden (Stockholm) had a big celebration on 08/08/08 due to the fact that the dialcode for phonenumbers in Stockholm is 08-xxxxxxx

Why am I telling you this? No idea. Just having a bit of a slow time at work after lunch
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Apparently the world was supposed to end this morning. I haven't noticed any change personally, but then in my office, I wouldn't.
Also read that Gretna Green is on standby for hordes of couples who want an 'emergency' wedding.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Pff, that date is outdated...

20/02/2002 was much better!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Finally, when I see that date in an email from colleagues overseas I will know what day they're talking about. Why can't a global company have a single way of refering to the date?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #6
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Finally, when I see that date in an email from colleagues overseas I will know what day they're talking about. Why can't a global company have a single way of refering to the date?

they do ....

dd mm yy
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
they do ....

dd mm yy
no...

dd mm yyyy
Old 09-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
no...

dd mm yyyy

pardonez moi !

dd mm 'yy
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Except that most of my colleagues in the U.S. continue to use mm/dd/yyyy and some of my other colleagues use yy/mm/dd or something else. We have a policy on using English so why don't we just pick a way of expressing dates (I don't care which one) and make it a policy? Some people have taken to using the week number (e.g., week 43) to describe when an event will happen but who the heck knows which week is week 43 if you don't look it up on a calendar?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
GeoffC

i believe some parts of the universe still use the Julian calendar ...
Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Except that most of my colleagues in the U.S. continue to use mm/dd/yyyy and some of my other colleagues use yy/mm/dd or something else. We have a policy on using English so why don't we just pick a way of expressing dates (I don't care which one) and make it a policy? Some people have taken to using the week number (e.g., week 43) to describe when an event will happen but who the heck knows which week is week 43 if you don't look it up on a calendar?
Not me, and I'll keep bugging till they tell me a real date...

yyyy/mm/dd is generally used in combination with computers (sorting is much easier). dd/mm/yyyy makes more sense for normal every day use (start small end big)
Old 09-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #12
krapo
Enthusiast
krapo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 Black, Sony PRS-T1 White, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Apparently the world was supposed to end this morning.
If it was supposed to end on such a date, it would have been on 6/6/6 !
krapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by krapo View Post
If it was supposed to end on such a date, it would have been on 6/6/6 !
Actually, isn't it suposed to end in 2012?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
In the U.S. we say the date as September 9th, 2009, so it makes sense to abbreviate as 09/09/2009.
And don't expect it to change. Remember the effort in the 70s to try to convert us to the metric system?

BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #15
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Actually, isn't it suposed to end in 2012?
Actually I can remember several other dates in my lifetime when the world was supposed to end. The Millenium and the Jupiter Effect, etc. are the best known.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote