Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Discussion about software jailbreak of newer fresh-out-of-the-box kindles

I believed I had read enough posts of people doing that, that it was well understood on this forum. I had posted in another thread this:

Quote:
As I recall, neither knc1 nor I were interested in constantly updating the version list on documents. My current understanding, and this has been backed up through reports in the jailbreaking threads, is that ANY software version fresh out of the box has succeeded in using the methods described in that link.

This entire process is potentially dangerous, because it is always possible that amazon could change things, but so far, they have not.

As far as we know, if you use the 5.9.0.6 image for KOA2, the worst that can happen is it will tell you that you cannot do it.

If you use a version that IS too old though, it will brick your kindle. so thats why the versions are not constantly updated, you need to take the risk for yourself, if you want to, and then you can update the wiki with success or failure if you want to.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak

The notes currently in the wiki about the version are specific to being able to do it at any time, even if your kindle has had a software update.

There is a special case about brand-new out-of-the-box kindles that have never received an update.

I personally believe amazon left this in intentionally, in order to support factory issues, but I can only guess.

All that being said, I got a response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketrussion View Post
Just wanted to add my recent personal experience with downgrading a PW3. I tried to downgrade to 5.8.9.0.1 brand new Kindle, which was never registered. The downgrade worked in the sense the the firmware flashed ok (as confirmed in the menu) but it also left my Kindle in the same state described by others in these threads (only as small rectangle in the screen remained active, error code 2). Since I was still able to USB mount the disk, I triggered a factory reset using the file method. Upon reboot, my Kindle was bricked, with no USB mount possible. I had to use the serial port to drop the latest firmware to the Kindle root directory and upon reboot, the Kindle was working again.

Maybe I could have rooted the Kindle in the funny state immediately after 5.8.9.0.1 had flashed but I didn't try (I thought that a factory reset was all that was needed but it was just the opposite).

Conclusion, the above process is not guaranteed and if something goes wrong, DO NOT FACTORY RESET or you will lose the ability to mount the USB.
Pocketrussion can you explain what you meant by:
"The downgrade worked in the sense the the firmware flashed ok (as confirmed in the menu)"

and
"But it also left my Kindle in the same state described by others in these threads (only as small rectangle in the screen remained active, error code 2)"

I don't understand how you can confirm the firmware version in the menu, but also get a system error code?

This is the first time I have heard about error code 2 since somewhere around 2016. Pocketrussion , do you know which paperwhite 3 specifically you were using ( first 6 of serial ), and which update bin you used?

I don't want to be telling people this works, if it really doesn't. But it definitely worked on the 5.9.0.6 KOA2 I had, and the 5.8.10 Kindle8 ( althogh those are also known as special cases )
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:58 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I Pocketrussion can you explain what you meant by:
"The downgrade worked in the sense the the firmware flashed ok (as confirmed in the menu)"

and
"But it also left my Kindle in the same state described by others in these threads (only as small rectangle in the screen remained active, error code 2)"

I don't understand how you can confirm the firmware version in the menu, but also get a system error code?
On my bricked PW3, part of the firmware version/build number is visible on the error screen (iirc, either full or last few digits of 3175970011 which corresponds to factory image 5.8.9.0.1).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 02:22 AM   #3
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Usually it looks like this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/at...1&d=1536992444
It is not Error Code 2, but Repair Code 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	166311  
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
thanks for that image, 2929620018 I can track down to 5.7.4. for devices KOA ( 8th gen ) , PW3 ( 7th), KV(7th), Kindle basic(7th gen ), PW2 (6th gen ).

So we definitely have data points that using 5.7.4 can put these kindles into this state. and I will stop ever recomendeing 5.7.4.

Has anyone have any data points using the 5.8.9.0.1 I mirrored in the "5.8.9.0.1 software jailbreak" thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=161

We knew that 5.7.4 would brick the Manga Model PW, so getting this 5.8.9.0.1 was a lifesaver for them, and I know it worked on my manga model. But that one shipped with a lower version to start with.

This happened because the boot loader has a list of supported model numbers, and the manga model wasn't in it, that could be happening with newer hardware too, if they are changing anything on the motherboard or something else.

This may mean that the factory images will install, but if the image is older than the hardware, it will cause errors. And we would need to wait until someone can figure out how to get a version of the factory image for that newer hardware.

Last edited by coplate; 09-15-2018 at 11:50 AM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
Pocketrussion
Pocketrussion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Yes, that's the state it ended in after initiating the factory reset using the file method (after the first boot, I was still able to mount the disk via USB). The Kindle serial begins with G090G105. Arrived with 5.8.11. Bricked with message "Your Kindle needs repair code 2".

The reason I could tell that the downgrade was successful (to a certain degree) is that I was able to see the menu because the Kindle was still functional, albeit with only part of the screen active, similarly to the image posted in the post above. I went through the normal set up process (chose language, etc) and had access to the settings menu (where I could check the firmware version). After doing that, the screen remained partially active (in a rectangle) and I decided to do a factory reset (thinking it would fix the screen problem). After this reset, the Kindle generated the Repair code 2 error (sorry, I was going by memory), with no USB mount possible. It would boot partially but always end up with Repair Code 2. Also, it would not charge (I tried leaving it on a plug for a few days but the charging light would not turn on).

As mentioned maybe i could have continued the jailbreaking process after the first boot, instead of doing a factory reset but I don't know what would have happened after rebooting.

Also, at the time I found a post here from someone who had the exact same experience as me a few weeks before but I can't find it now. I will at my browsing history and will post it here if I find it. Edit: found it here and here:

As for what could have caused it, I am not sure: I don't remember if the Kindle was 100% charged but it was over 85% (that was the state if the battery after serial debrick). It could also have something to do with special offers (I had not removed them)... or bad luck.

I have another Kindle still in the box and I can't decide if I want to try this process again, as opening up the Kindle is a pain.

Last edited by Pocketrussion; 09-15-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Pocketrussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
I have been gathering the statistics of PW3 jb over half a year (here and at the 4pda.ru).

To increase chances for successful jb of the new PW3 with 5.8.11 firmware:
- choose English (US) at the first start
- do not register the device (if have registered - make the factory reset)
- apply 5.8.9.0.1 initial factory firmware
Even in compliance with the above there is some possibility (about 10%) of bricking the device.

If the downgrading failed - do not use DO_FACTORY_RESTORE, it will finally brick the device.
Just put the official update.bin to the root and reboot.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I performed the factory fw5.8.9.0.1 install on 4 PW3 (2x 4GB, 2x 32GB).

4GB: Special Offers version purchased brand new from Amazon US around Feb/Mar 2018, came with 5.8.11, jb successful

4GB: purchased used from ebay, came with 5.8.11, bricked

32GB: purchased from Woot, came with 5.8.7.0.1 (iirc - not too sure), jb successful

32GB: purchased from Woot, came with 5.8.7.0.1 (iirc - not too sure), jb successful

So that's 3 out of 4 successful installs and the only one that bricked was of unknown history. I didn't register any of these devices. In fact, I never even connected these to wifi. Just rebooted after choosing the language then went straight to factory fw install.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote