Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-07-2018, 06:22 AM   #1
kevin335200
kevin335200 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 32g white
Downgrade through USB?

It seems like there is method that almost any devices including PW3-32
with latest firmware can be downgraded without cracking the kindle by using a special device connecting to USB.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm...cket=10#detail

Google Translate here:

Some small partners have a high version of the system, and they want to brush the machine. They can mail the machine, and need the external USB port to perform the downgrade operation. You can not disassemble the machine. The unreliable partner can use the seal to wrap the top of the machine. , to ensure that not disassembled.

The translation is so bad... What it says is if you don't believe that they won't open your device, you can seal the machine.

Last edited by kevin335200; 09-07-2018 at 06:25 AM.
kevin335200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
I know that 'Brush' translates to 'flashing the firmware'

We know that some versions of the Kindle-8 are shipping with ADB, people are getting into that mode although we have not identified how on this forum.

I have believed for some time that Amazon must have some way to factory reset kindle without dissasembly, so I would not be surprised if it is possible.

However those version numbers listed give me pause, and make me think they are going through the process we know about, where any kindle can be jailbroken if it is brand new - fresh out of the box.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
dav9317
dav9317 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 7th Generation - 2015 release.
Quote:"where any kindle can be jailbroken if it is brand new - fresh out of the box." THIS IS COMPLETE HORSE S#!+, I Bought a new kindle from amazon, blocked updates and its still higher than the current jailbreak! I'm still trying to figure out how i'm going to serial jailbreak and everybody has been less than helpful.
dav9317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:40 PM   #4
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav9317 View Post
Quote:"where any kindle can be jailbroken if it is brand new - fresh out of the box." THIS IS COMPLETE HORSE S#!+, I Bought a new kindle from amazon, blocked updates and its still higher than the current jailbreak! I'm still trying to figure out how i'm going to serial jailbreak and everybody has been less than helpful.
Did you try it? Because this is the first out of hundreds of data points where someone has a brand-new never updated kindle paperwhite 3 ( 2015 ), where the jailbreak factory install has failed. knc1 and others got tired of updating the version number, and writing exception cases all over the place. I thought there were enough threads about it. Make sure you try with 5.8.9.0.1 factory image, not 5.7.4 though.

Last edited by coplate; 09-07-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #5
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
The device should not he registered. If you have registered it, make the factory reset before downgrading.
The language should be US English.
Use 5.8.9.0.1 only.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 03:50 AM   #6
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
The device should not he registered. If you have registered it, make the factory reset before downgrading.
The language should be US English.
Use 5.8.9.0.1 only.
So if I have not registered my kindle koa2 can I downgrade it? It is on 5.9.2.0.1 and never updated.
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:58 AM   #7
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The above is for PW3 only.
KOA2 on 5.9.2.0.1 cannot be downgraded.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:08 AM   #8
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
Quote:
The above is for PW3 only.
KOA2 on 5.9.2.0.1 cannot be downgraded.
Even if unregistered? He says any device including the pw
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #9
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozza111 View Post
Even if unregistered? He says any device including the pw
1 Firmware versions
The process described here applies to only two firmware versions.
If the Kindle has either of these versions installed when first taken out of the box:
Then this process should work.

http://knetconnect.com/koa2/KOA2_Jailbreak.xhtml
Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
coplate
Guru

Quote:
1 Firmware versions
The process described here applies to only two firmware versions.
If the Kindle has either of these versions installed when first taken out of the box:
Then this process should work.

http://knetconnect.com/koa2/KOA2_Jailbreak.xhtml
Hi, I'm going to post in this thread one more time, because I realy think we should return this thread to the topic of using the USB port.

As I recall, neither knc1 nor I were interested in constantly updating the version list on documents. My current understanding, and this has been backed up through reports in the jailbreaking threads, is that ANY software version fresh out of the box has succeeded in using the methods described in that link.

This entire process is potentially dangerous, because it is always possible that amazon could change things, but so far, they have not.

As far as we know, if you use the 5.9.0.6 image for KOA2, the worst that can happen is it will tell you that you cannot do it.

If you use a version that IS too old though, it will brick your kindle. so thats why the versions are not constantly updated, you need to take the risk for yourself, if you want to, and then you can update the wiki with success or failure if you want to.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak

The notes currently in the wiki about the version are specific to being able to do it at any time, even if your kindle has had a software update.

There is a special case about brand-new out-of-the-box kindles that have never received an update.

I personally believe amazon left this in intentionally, in order to support factory issues, but I can only guess.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #11
hius07
Wizard

I regularly read the thread about KOA2 Jailbreak
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292337
as well as the Russian thread at 4pda.ru.
I cannot recall successful jb on the never-updated firmware versions other than 5.9.0.5.1, 5.9.0.6.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:20 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
There is a special case about brand-new out-of-the-box kindles that have never received an update.

I personally believe amazon left this in intentionally, in order to support factory issues, but I can only guess.
Quote:
I regularly read the thread about KOA2 Jailbreak
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292337
as well as the Russian thread at 4pda.ru.
I cannot recall successful jb on the never-updated firmware versions other than 5.9.0.5.1, 5.9.0.6.
I hope this can be definitively settled and clearly documented.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I hope this can be definitively settled and clearly documented.
The link in your second quote goes to a page giving the link to the public source of the documentation.

Clone the source, edit until it is "clearly documented" enough to suit your taste, then issue a standard git-hub "pull request".

This is the reason the documentation source is in a public repository, so that dissenters can modify it to their own liking and use the "pull request" feature of git-hub to have their changes included.

I.E: You don't like it, then get out your keyboard and fix it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The link in your second quote goes to a page giving the link to the public source of the documentation.

Clone the source, edit until it is "clearly documented" enough to suit your taste, then issue a standard git-hub "pull request".

This is the reason the documentation source is in a public repository, so that dissenters can modify it to their own liking and use the "pull request" feature of git-hub to have their changes included.

I.E: You don't like it, then get out your keyboard and fix it.
I'll be happy to give that a shot once I know whether coplate or hius07 has it right.

That is, has a KOA2 with OS > 5.9.0.6 new out of the box ever been jailbroken?

I note that this thread is for PW3, but coplate made a statement about all Kindles which will be very nice if it is true.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:35 PM   #15
Pocketrussion
Pocketrussion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Just wanted to add my recent personal experience with downgrading a PW3. I tried to downgrade to 5.8.9.0.1 brand new Kindle, which was never registered. The downgrade worked in the sense the the firmware flashed ok (as confirmed in the menu) but it also left my Kindle in the same state described by others in these threads (only as small rectangle in the screen remained active, error code 2). Since I was still able to USB mount the disk, I triggered a factory reset using the file method. Upon reboot, my Kindle was bricked, with no USB mount possible. I had to use the serial port to drop the latest firmware to the Kindle root directory and upon reboot, the Kindle was working again.

Maybe I could have rooted the Kindle in the funny state immediately after 5.8.9.0.1 had flashed but I didn't try (I thought that a factory reset was all that was needed but it was just the opposite).

Conclusion, the above process is not guaranteed and if something goes wrong, DO NOT FACTORY RESET or you will lose the ability to mount the USB.
Pocketrussion is offline   Reply With Quote