Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
ThatDirtyRascal
ThatDirtyRascal began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Note
Kindle Magazines from Android

Hi,

I'm trying to get magazines from Kindle for Android, with a slight quirk. So please bear with me.

Certain books and [I believe most, if not all] magazines aren't available for Mac or PC consumption, only for Android and iOS.

As far as I can tell, Magazines come in two different formats, ones is similar to PDFs, which are whole pages of of FIXED formatting, where you have to zoom in to be able to read, etc.

The second is the typical epub/mobi-type, where the text is flowing and resizable etc. which is suitable for mobile devices.

In the Kindle Android app, you can double tap the screen and it will swap you over from one format to the others. So the device must have both formats, right?

The extension of the files is ".prc" on the device.

When I add the Magazine to Calibre's library, it will only add a MOBI version, that's nice to have, but not quite what I want.

Is there any possible way of getting the other PDF-style version from the device to my computer/MacBook?

Is this a limitation of the KFX format?

[I am using jhowell's plugin for KFX, but I don't see it helping.]

PS: I hope this is not against the rules, this question is aiming at formats nothing more.

Edit: After hours of searching and trying to figure it out.

I ended up unpacking the mobi file, to find that the "PDF-style" ebook I was looking at/for was in fact just 200-odd jpeg images stitched together.

What a shame, I had been hoping to get a decent searchable pdf from it. Oh well.

Last edited by ThatDirtyRascal; 08-01-2018 at 09:14 AM.
ThatDirtyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The ".prc" extension is used in the Kindle for Android app for MOBI and KF8 (azw3) formats. The KFX Input plugin isn't going to have any effect on the handling of those files. (Some magazines can be delivered in KFX format, but those would have a ".kfx" extension.)

Most magazines use the MOBI periodical format, which includes images of the pages in JPEG format and also reflowing text for the articles along with links between the two, in a single file.

Converting the MOBI to EPUB in calibre will convert only the articles. You can use the Kindleunpack plugin to get both the articles and the page images, but then you would need to pick out the page images and assemble them into a separate file (such as a CBZ) yourself. You will lose the linkage between pages and articles.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote