Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #436
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Geralt: Use the snapshots.

The current stable releases, by design, do not support the PW2, until I get my hands on one.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #437
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Thank you NiLuJe, but I have no idea how to use that so I'm gonna wait until you get your hands on one.

The link you provided looks like a great resource, but I'm not that tech savvy to get around that pile
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #438
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated the first post (both here and in the Fonts hack thread, which I'm refraining from bumping since it would be a bad idea to try it anyway) to make the PW2 situation clearer .
Old 11-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #439
blue-sky
blue-sky began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Hello again

Like the title says, here's a FW 5.0.x - 5.4.2 JailBreak!

The payload is based on yifanlu's jailbreak, with a few tweaks to make it more Touch/PaperWhite centric,
and a fantastic new delivery method discovered by yossarian17. So, as always, thanks to everyone involved in Touch & PaperWhite hacking, particularly yifanlu, ixtab, geekmaster, eureka & yossarian17 .

In addition, this is also the home of the K5 (Touch/PaperWhite) port of the USBNetwork hack .

Latest Updates (11/21/2013):

JailBreak v1.8.N (New delivery method, PW2 support!), USBNetwork v0.14.N (Updated binaries).

INSTALL:

Jailbreak:
Spoiler:

Download the attached kindle-jailbreak-1.8.N.zip file, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a few files.
Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. The updater won't actually ever run, this is normal. After a few seconds, the words **** JAILBREAK **** will appear at the bottom of your screen to confirm that the device is jailbroken .

And that's it, your Kindle is now ready to install custom hacks!

ChangeLog:
Spoiler:
  • Jailbreak:
    • v1.2.N:
      • Works on firmware <= 5.1.2 .
    • v1.3.N:
      • Minor tweaks for robustness.
    • v1.4.N:
      • Proper PaperWhite support.
    • v1.5.N:
      • A few minor model detection fixes.
    • v1.6.N:
      • Proper support for the UK 3G PW.
    • v1.7.N:
      • Implement a 'bridge' to carry the JailBreak over the 5.3.0 update (following a suggestion from eureka, thanks!). (See the Bridge section)
    • v1.8.N:
      • New delivery mechanism w/ PW2 support, thanks to yossarian17 .
  • Doc: $Id: MR_THREAD 10131 2013-11-21 18:56:02Z NiLuJe $
can you tell me how to let Kindle Paperwhite show battery percentage? thank you!
blue-sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #440
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Wow...just WOW!

Question- (I suspect the answer is 'no', but for clarity) is there any reason to apply this updated Jailbreak to a previously Jailbroken PW1...or is this singularly a new delivery mechanism for the Jailbreak and Bridge?
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #441
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@GoSharks: Nope, no need .
Old 11-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #442
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@GoSharks: Nope, no need .
Thanks for the quick reply! Sorry for the interruption (you've been busy)...get back to work!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #443
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-sky View Post
can you tell me how to let Kindle Paperwhite show battery percentage? thank you!
This is not related to the thread topic.

Please create a new thread for your new topic.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #444
April_7th
Connoisseur
April_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueApril_7th can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PW2
Does JBPatch and KUAL work on 5.4.2?
April_7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:11 AM   #445
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by April_7th View Post
Does JBPatch and KUAL work on 5.4.2?
No, Yes.

Your questions are not related to this thread's topic.

Please start a new thread for new topics, or at least use the appropriate existing thread.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #446
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
It doesn't work.

I uploaded update_python_0.8.N_install.bin for screensaver hack, and the Jailbreak sign under the settings is gone. Puff, disappeared.
I can't update python because Update Your Kindle is grayed out.

Might be related but every time I connect my kindle to PC it deletes my dictionaries as well. I have to re-download them from the cloud. Maybe it did the same to jailbreak.
By any chance do you run debian? I have this issue that's been chasing me since squeeze that corrupts the fs and prevents copying files to the kindle.
I never got to the root of that, only knowing that it seems fine on ubuntu.
I mostly use sftp anyway, it's so much nicer. Only, I occasionally load my books into a documents folder on the / partition. Once I did that to a 500 mb comic and that was no fun.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #447
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
usbNetwork 0.14 produces the message:
"N E failed to set usb0 to ip, this is bad"

After a pause - network works ("N starting sshd").

Default settings; connection on a USB-cable.
PW2 5.4.2

Last edited by kaznelson; 11-23-2013 at 05:00 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #448
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kaznelson: Great, so, not limited to cryzed's device then... Joy "_". Can you check if toggling it through KUAL works properly?

Has anyone on 5.4.0 checked that USBNet behaved properly there?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-23-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #449
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
NiLuJe
In KUAL:

- Network switching-on happens to an error (see above).
- The button "Toggle USBNerwork" don't trace a network state - label changes on pushing.
- The network is not disconnected after message "N stopping sshd". It is necessary to connect once again a USB-cable (there will be a damaged network), and to disconnect it.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #450
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kaznelson: Thanks for the tests! The third point is especially interesting, and points in the same direction as something I wanted to try... .

I'll see if I can come up with something new to test sometime today...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-23-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch