Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #1
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Kindle or Kobo Cloud Library Estate Access

Something to consider if you have a sizeable Amazon or Kobo cloud ebook library. From my point of view this is part of your estate. If/when you die or are incapacitated you might consider leaving full access info for your account as part of your will or something to be passed on to a friend or relative. Amazon and Kobo seem to feel that your access dies with you but I feel that access should be available to your choice of an individual. Others thoughts on this?

I am age 75 so thinking of things like this.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:04 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
All the books in my huge ebook collection (from various vendors and websites) have been downloaded, de-DRMed and live in a Calibre library that's been backed up on several external drives. So any cloud access is not a concern. Still, as none of my family members read for pleasure, much less in English (the vast majority of my ebooks are in English), I seriously doubt anyone would care about my ebooks if I died.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 03:19 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Actually back up any Cloud storage as any could be discontinued while you are alive.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
All the books in my huge ebook collection (from various vendors and websites) have been downloaded, de-DRMed and live in a Calibre library that's been backed up on several external drives. So any cloud access is not a concern. Still, as none of my family members read for pleasure, much less in English (the vast majority of my ebooks are in English), I seriously doubt anyone would care about my ebooks if I died.
Thank you. Your post saves me from having to write almost the same thing.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I don't know. My cats have been reading "How to know if your cats are plotting to kill you" on my iPad. They might like to keep a copy if they are successful.

While making sure your family has access to your computer if something happens to you is a serious question, and my sister and I share some reading interest in common I suspect that the vast majority of my book collection will simply be tossed once I shuffle off this mortal coil. My sister does have a nook and does read, but she seems to mostly prefer paper books. I don't think that she has ever learned how to store ebooks on her computer and side load on her nook (or iPad).

I suspect that most here who have relatives who read eBooks already share. Amazon has family accounts that makes it easy to do.

Last edited by pwalker8; 02-03-2020 at 12:09 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Something to consider if you have a sizeable Amazon or Kobo cloud ebook library. From my point of view this is part of your estate. If/when you die or are incapacitated you might consider leaving full access info for your account as part of your will or something to be passed on to a friend or relative. Amazon and Kobo seem to feel that your access dies with you but I feel that access should be available to your choice of an individual. Others thoughts on this?

I am age 75 so thinking of things like this.
Whether or not its EVEN BETTER to ALSO download and DeDRM your books....it is wise to make available to whomever you desire after you pass...your accounts and passwords.

This includes your bank(s), insurance(s), photos, facebook, and all the places you have licensed digital materials - like Amazon.

And even IF you have downloaded....there needs to be instructions for your heirs on where things are and how to access them.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I don't know. My cats have been reading "How to know if your cats are plotting to kill you" on my iPad. They might like to keep a copy if they are successful.
My cats have never been interested in any of my ebooks or ereaders. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. They've been interested in the taste of some of my paper books, though. And one of them liked a cello concert streaming on my tablet (she even patted the players gently with her paw, to encourage them), but I didn't save that. I might have to look for some classical music to leave her in the case of my premature demise.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Apache
Agreed...Thanks!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Apache

(My cats thought my e-reader was a great lumpy thing to nap on . I don't think they ever read any. My wifes daughter had a cat that figured out how to wakeup the MAC2 so the CRT monitor-bed got warm )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:49 PM   #10
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
My experience in the past when family members passed away was that I changed the account to my name and Amazon moved the stuff from the changed account to my main account. They could not move stuff that was no longer available for sale at Amazon. This has been some years now, so don't know if they do the same thing today. I doubt a will will have any traction in this area, but you could certainly try.

There is no guarantee that things will be in the cloud at any time, so best to have de-drm'd copies on at least 2 hard drives and update libraries for family members. Put ID on your external hard drive and indicate who should get that.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote