Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-1.0.0 Released

Sigil-1.0.0

Sigil-1.0.0 represents a major milestone in Sigil's history. The requirement that all epubs must be restructured to meet Sigil's long-held standard has finally been lifted. Users can still manually choose to restructure epubs to the old Sigil standards if they choose, but it will no longer be done automatically upon opening. Please read the following notes carefully to avoid confusion.

The major changes since Sigil-0.9.18 include the following:
  • Upon initial load, the epub structure that exists will be loaded and kept in its "as-is" state, moving and renaming nothing
  • The BookBrowser will still show the Text, Images, Styles, Fonts, Audio, Video, and Misc "folders" but these are now "virtual folders" that simply organize the existing resources by type but do not restrict their actual location within the epub.
  • A new Preferences setting has been added to the Appearance Preferences that will determine if the book folder relative path will be shown in the BookBrowser or its shorter unique name (filename) will be used instead. In either case, the BookBrowser tooltips will always show the file's true book folder relative path. Duplicate file names (in different subfolders) will always show the longer path to be able to differentiate between them regardless of the new Appearance Preference.
  • A Tools menu item has been added to standardize any epub already loaded to Sigil's old structure
  • A Tools menu item has been added to allow a user to design a custom "empty" epub layout
  • A "Move" context menu item has been added to BookBrowser to enable moving of resources to where you want them to be.
  • A "Rename" context menu item has been added to BookBrowser to enable renaming of the NCX and OPF resources.
  • The python plugin interface has been extended to support all of this as documented in the new Sigil_Plugin_Framework_rev12.epub and online at MobileRead in our Plugin Development thread.

Please note, the design goal of Sigil 1.0.0 was to make minimal changes for users and ebook developers that still want to use Sigil as they did. The new Preference setting defaults to showing only the filename as before, and the default empty epub for creating new epubs is the same as before. The interface and functionality should stay almost exactly the same. Loading any epub previously saved by Sigil will still work exactly as before. Only editing new epubs that are in non-standard form will necessitate a use of the new Tool menu (see the fourth item above) to standardize it.

Bug Fixes (since the 0.9.991 Pre-release):
  • All bugs reported in alpha release have been fixed.
    Special thanks to Vroni, BeckyEBook, Doitsu, Odamizu,
    Un_Pogaz, snarkophilus, and many others who ran tests and reported bugs.
  • Fix for crash on macOS opening Preferences following New MainWindow
  • Workaround Qt bug in restoreState after maximize with Find and Replace open
  • Fix logic to identify and store window geometry when normal (not maximized)
  • Fix handling of plugin dialog being closed or aborted / cancelled
  • Prevent Preview timer related crashes on closing MainWindow on macOS
  • Update and harden media types recognition
  • Use non-native QFileDialogs on macOS to workaround Qt bugs
  • Fix crash of fast Tab closing on all platforms
  • Prevent whitespace inside code tags from being changed when prettifying
  • replace case change "text icon" with actual sizable icon (Thank you BeckyEbook)

New Features (since the 0.9.991 Pre-release):
  • Add Load/Save capability for the Custom Empty Epub Layout Designer
  • Large speedups in Reports using QtConcurrent
  • Speedups in Spellcheck Dialog sorting
  • Add File Name to Preview Window title
  • Add Regular Expression File Renamer to BookBrowser context menu
  • Mend on Open or Save only touch/repair non-wellformed files
  • Re-enable Drag and Drop of Tabs
  • Add menus/icons for "New ePub2" and "New ePub3" to ease creation of empty epubs (icons courtesy of BeckyEbook)
  • Extend ePub2 Guide Semantics to include many of the "other.*" codes common to ePub3 as well

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check the Sigil Wiki for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

Mac users should still download and install ActiveState's ActiveTcl Community Edition to utilize plugins that use Tk/Tcl GUIs. More here.
Mac users should also check out the wiki entry on the New Release File Format

The latest Sigil user guide can always be downloaded from its own repository.

PGP Fingerprint

Sigil-1.0.0 Github Release page and downloads.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nice work! Building sigil/pageedit packages for Arch Linux right now.

EDIT: done

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-17-2019 at 09:54 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Some plugins might not work

Since Sigil 1.0 supports non-standard epubs, some plugins that haven't been updated for Sigil 1.0 might no longer work.
If you're getting error messages when running plugins with Sigil 1.0, please contact the plugin developers. Do not report plugin issues in this thread.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Sigil-1.0.0 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sigil-1.0.0 represents a major milestone in Sigil's history ...
Woo hoo! Congratulations and to KevinH and DiapDealer!

odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:14 AM   #5
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Whoa.......a huge thank you to all those that contributed so much time and effort to making this release possible..................simply brilliant...............................

Thank you.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:10 AM   #6
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Woohoo indeed, great work getting this milestone out. Fantastic!
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Since Sigil 1.0 supports non-standard epubs, some plugins that haven't been updated for Sigil 1.0 might no longer work.
If you're getting error messages when running plugins with Sigil 1.0, please contact the plugin developers. Do not report plugin issues in this thread.
Along those same lines ...

Any plugin not yet updated to support epubs with alternative internal structures can still be used in the meantime. If the internal structure is not important to you, any plugin that worked before Sigil 1.0 will still work with Sigil 1.0 provided the epub is first restructured to Sigil's historical norm by using "Tools->Restructure Epub to Sigil Norm" first.

But otherwise, yes: plugin errors when using Sigil 1.0+ should be reported in the respective plugin thread, and not here. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
Mister L
Groupie
Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Mister L is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Sony 350
Bravo to everyone involved and congratulations on reaching this milestone!
Mister L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
kris33
kris33 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G Keyboard
Are you aware that setting external XHTML editors is totally broken on macOS?

It seems like it only accepts .exe files, .app files aren't "applications" apparently.
kris33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris33 View Post
That seems extremely unlikely.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:16 AM   #11
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It seems like it only accepts .exe files, .app files aren't "applications" apparently.
Wow, I use Open With ... BBEdit all the time. But I never tried setting the external XHTML editor.

When I tried just now (through Preferences > General Settings > Set your preferred alternative xhtml editor), it wouldn't let me select BBEdit.app. Instead, it treated BBEdit.app as a folder (or package). When I opened it, I got the package contents, and when I drilled down to what I think is the executable, it was greyed out and I couldn't select it.

I am on macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra using Sigil 1.0.0.

ETA: Oh, double wow. I just tried to add PageEdit as my preferred alternative xhtml editor, and the same thing happened. What's more, when I tried Open With ... PageEdit, the same thing happened again.

It seems the only reason I can Open With ... BBEdit is because I had already set that in previous versions of Sigil way back when.

I just did a clean install, deleting my Sigil folder in Library > Application Support, and I can't add any application with Open With or Set preferred alternative xhtml editor.

Last edited by odamizu; 12-19-2019 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:23 AM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hmm that is very strange. I had no problem selecting PageEdit.app as my preferred External XHtml Editor and the launching it.

Please try with PageEdit.app and let me know if that is a problem for you as well. And what about normal Open With, are you having issues pointing it at apps as well?

I will retry with exactly the build I uploaded to Releases tomorrow.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:31 AM   #13
odamizu
just an egg

Hi Kevin — with a clean install (deleting Sigil folder in Library > Application Support), I cannot select any app with Open With or Set preferred xhtml editor on Sigil 1.0.0 (official release). It's treating the apps as folders/packages and opening the package, but I can't select anything.

I have tried this with PageEdit, BBEdit and Taco HTML Editor.

However, when using old preferences from 0.9.18 where I already had BBEdit set with Open With (but not preferred external xhtml editor), I can still use Open With ... BBEdit.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Works for me though I did type the path/application manually (old habits die hard ). See the screenshots. Not sure if it made any difference that I copied the Sigil.app and PageEdit.app files into the Applications directory and opened both to allow setting the security before modifying Sigil's preferences.

Also note that this is running Catalina in a VMWare virtual machine.

Edit: trying to browse to the PageEdit.app did open the package instead of selecting it. Makes sense in a way since .app files are packages. I could not select PageEdit in the MacOS directory in the package though I seem to remember that file should be the "real" executable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PageEdit_Catalina.png
Views:	194
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	175714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil_Preferences_Catalina.png
Views:	189
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	175715  

Last edited by DNSB; 12-19-2019 at 01:42 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:55 AM   #15
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Works for me though I did type the path/application manually (old habits die hard ). See the screenshots. Not sure if it made any difference that I copied the Sigil.app and PageEdit.app files into the Applications directory and opened both to allow setting the security before modifying Sigil's preferences.

Also note that this is running Catalina in a VMWare virtual machine.
Ah, yes. Manually typing in the path/application to set preferred external html editor works on High Sierra as well. It seems only the "Browse" button doesn't work as expected.

Is there a way to manually type in the path/application for Open With? I'm only getting the option to browse, which isn't working.

ETA: Okay, I just edited the sigil.ini file to add PageEdit to my Open With choices, and it worked. So it really does seem to just be the Browse button that is problematic.

Quote:
Edit: trying to browse to the PageEdit.app did open the package instead of selecting it. Makes sense in a way since .app files are packages. I could not select PageEdit in the MacOS directory in the package though I seem to remember that file should be the "real" executable.
Yes, this is my experience as well when trying to browse. Instead of selecting PageEdit.app, it opens the package, and drilling down to MacOS directory inside the package gets you to a greyed-out PageEdit that cannot be selected.

Last edited by odamizu; 12-19-2019 at 02:05 AM.