Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-02-2020, 10:16 PM   #61
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If you can find Fred Pohl's "Day Million", it's definitely worth a look. Style, and ideas. And, so far as gender/sex goes, bang up to date.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #62
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
If you can find Fred Pohl's "Day Million", it's definitely worth a look. Style, and ideas. And, so far as gender/sex goes, bang up to date.
I've always liked Pohl's voice.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2020, 01:22 AM   #63
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
It definitely was available at some point, from SF Gateway, since that's where I got mine. It had quite a lot of scannos I seem to remember, so maybe it got pulled for quality control. [...]
I was thinking the same thing, but found this Clifford Simak SF Gateway Omnibus that has Time is the Simplest Thing, Way Station and A Choice of Gods.

I can't speak for the quality of that edition, but at least it is still available (at least in some regions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I've always liked Pohl's voice.
Ditto.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #64
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
A little esoteric, but

John Brunner: Traveller in Black (1971)

Cult collection of short stories, with a strong following. Comprises 4 longish short stories about the Traveller in Black, in a land of Elementals and magic, slowly bringing order out of chaos.

1: The Imprint of Chaos
2: Break the Door of Hell
3: The Wager Lost by Winning
4: Dread Empire
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
A little esoteric, but

John Brunner: Traveller in Black (1971)

Cult collection of short stories, with a strong following. Comprises 4 longish short stories about the Traveller in Black, in a land of Elementals and magic, slowly bringing order out of chaos.

1: The Imprint of Chaos
2: Break the Door of Hell
3: The Wager Lost by Winning
4: Dread Empire
that is, indeed excellent. But people might prefer The Compleat Traveller in Black (1979?) which includes one extra story.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #66
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
that is, indeed excellent. But people might prefer The Compleat Traveller in Black (1979?) which includes one extra story.
That's the one I picked up as an ebook. It's very good.

That brings to mind The Complete Compleat Enchanter by De Camp and Pratt. I believe that it contains all the Enchanter stories written by de Camp and Pratt. An old master that can be hard to find is Fletcher Pratt. In addition to his Enchanter stories with de Camp, I've got Well of the Unicorn and The Blue Star. The Blue Star is in PD. Pratt also wrote several books on Military History.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Harry Harrison has not been mentioned. His first books Deathworld was published in 1960.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #68
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Harry Harrison has not been mentioned. His first books Deathworld was published in 1960.
I like both the Deathworld series and the Stainless Steel Rat series.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #69
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That's the one I picked up as an ebook. It's very good.

That brings to mind The Complete Compleat Enchanter by De Camp and Pratt. I believe that it contains all the Enchanter stories written by de Camp and Pratt. An old master that can be hard to find is Fletcher Pratt. In addition to his Enchanter stories with de Camp, I've got Well of the Unicorn and The Blue Star. The Blue Star is in PD. Pratt also wrote several books on Military History.
I loved the compleat enchanter as a teen. It's high on my list of books I'd really like to see an ebook version of.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So, what new Masters of science fiction do you like?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:42 PM   #71
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
I loved the compleat enchanter as a teen. It's high on my list of books I'd really like to see an ebook version of.
Huh,

It was available as an ebook from Baen but after checking their site it looks as if most of their deCamp's have been removed from their ebook offerings.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #72
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
That is common at Baen's. They seem to have a term for which they sell the ebooks, and when the term expires, they stop selling them (if they don't feel the sales are worth the cost of renewing the contract.)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #73
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
It's not available anymore? That's a bummer. The Complet Enchanter (which is missing one story, thus the Complete Compleat Enchanter) was the first eBook I bought from peanut press on my palm pilot (ah, to have young eyes again!). Peanut Press went belly up and I lost access to the book, thus my determination to remove DRM from any ebook I buy. I bought the ebook from Baen, back when they had the rights to at least some of de Camp's books. They also came out with a few books and short stories in the Enchanter universe around the same time.

I'm sure it's a case of the contract expiring. He actually didn't die until 2000 at the age of 92, so I think that contract was from before his death. No idea who the copyright holder is now, I don't think he had any kids (his wife died several months before he did, which happens a lot with long married couples). It could very well be one of those orphaned works.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #74
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Let's not forget Lester del Rey -- one of my favorite sf short stories of all time is Nerves. I've read it at least 10 times with probably 5 years between each reading.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #75
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Lester del Rey's _The Day of the Giants_ is a favourite from my youth
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote