Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #4111
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
LOL! Or while giving a one finger solute say, “Register your complaint here!”
That's your bluetooth antenna: "pardon me while I extend my antenna for better reception"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #4112
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
The ring lost BlueTooth connection with my phone on Friday night, and I could not restore it without de-registering and re-registering it. I'm at a loss as to why that happened as both my phone and ring were charging on my nightstand, less than a foot apart. It hasn't happened again though.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #4113
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Maybe it requires the BT antenna to be extended, as discussed above by TM!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #4114
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reuters and other sources are reporting that Amazon might postpone the annual Prime Day from July to August or later. Reuters claims it is a done deal, but other sights are saying it might happen...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21L2S6
Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM   #4115
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Reuters and other sources are reporting that Amazon might postpone the annual Prime Day from July to August or later. Reuters claims it is a done deal, but other sights are saying it might happen...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21L2S6
Oh noes, has Amazon.com contracted a virus?
Advert
Old 04-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #4116
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Oh noes, has Amazon.com contracted a virus?
I’ve noticed a lot of delays in orders being shipped and arriving lately, which of course makes sense given the situation. Also the warehouse workers are getting very nervous, and I don’t blame them, so who knows how this will play out in the long term. TBH, I’m just grateful I can stay home and get many of the items I need delivered. Still a lot of 3rd party vendors on Amazon gouging the prices though. However, finding food items on Amazon is not that easy. They are sold out or just want too much money for them. I'm having a lot more success ordering online and picking up outside from local grocery store chains, including Walmart grocery stores. Local laws help keep the gouging at a minimum, unlike on Amazon.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:00 PM   #4117
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The ring has lost BT connection several times lately. I discovered that I can restore the connection by turning BT off and back on on my phone. What good is this thing if I have to dig out my phone to restore BT anyway? I might just as well pull up the Alexa app and talk to it.

Interim review: Not ready for prime time, future updates may resolve the issue.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:06 AM   #4118
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
The Echo 3rd gen has been on sale $60 for a few days. I was thinking of buying it. Now I have just one speaker (Show 5) that connects with my laptop and fire tv cube. The sound is inferior to my Echo gen 1. I'm listening to a podcast now with three people talking and my ears are not happy.

Anyone have an opinion about how the Echo gen 3 compares with the original Echo gen 1?
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #4119
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
The Echo 3rd gen has been on sale $60 for a few days. I was thinking of buying it. Now I have just one speaker (Show 5) that connects with my laptop and fire tv cube. The sound is inferior to my Echo gen 1. I'm listening to a podcast now with three people talking and my ears are not happy.

Anyone have an opinion about how the Echo gen 3 compares with the original Echo gen 1?
I'm not familiar with the Echo 3, but it looks like it is basically the same design as my Echo Plus 2 but without the built-in smart home hub. My Echo Plus 2 has very good sound for a non-stereo speaker. I've owned a lot of Echos over the years, beginning with the 1st generation Echo and Dot. Every subsequent generation has had a decent boost in sound quality over the previous generation. My Echo Plus 2 is very good in sound quality whereas the Echo 1 was only so-so for speech, and not good for music. But the newer ones seem really good at music and speech. Even the Dot 3 are pretty good for such small speakers. So I would say the upgrade will sound much better. But again, it is a non-stereo speaker, so there is only so much it can do.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #4120
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

We need a new skill for the Echo Shows.

“Alexa, show me how to cut my own hair without looking like I shaved a monkey’s butt and taught it to walk backwards.”

Today I used my beard trimming clippers to “lower my ears” (as my dad used say). It will grow back, and at least I didn’t wind up with a reverse mohawk! The cats are still laughing though...
Old 04-18-2020, 03:52 AM   #4121
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Thanks OtinG. I often use my CD player with Polk bookshelf speakers, which are much better than non-stereo Echo. I just ordered the regular gen 3. It says it sounds the same as the plus but without the home hub. I use the Echo for music occasionally just for the convenience.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #4122
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
We need a new skill for the Echo Shows.

“Alexa, show me how to cut my own hair without looking like I shaved a monkey’s butt and taught it to walk backwards.”
...hey, watch your language. There are monkeys in the room
Old 04-18-2020, 11:32 AM   #4123
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
Thanks OtinG. I often use my CD player with Polk bookshelf speakers, which are much better than non-stereo Echo. I just ordered the regular gen 3. It says it sounds the same as the plus but without the home hub. I use the Echo for music occasionally just for the convenience.
I have my Echo Show 5 connected via BT to a Sony GTKXB5BC stereo speaker system with 260 watts of output. None of the Echo devices have enough physical separation, even if they had/have stereo speakers, to compete with a good stereo system. But my Echo Plus 2 does sound good with voice and decent with music. But of course the Echo Show 5 connected via BT to a Sony GTKXB5BC actually sounds like a true stereo system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
...hey, watch your language. There are monkeys in the room
Old 04-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #4124
wodin
Illiterate

Well, I've had my Echo Loop for nineteen days now, and I have to report that I regret buying it. After about a week the volume began to degrade, to the point that if there is any background noise it's indecipherable.

Today I deregistered and factory reset it, then re-set it up. No improvement. I'm usually hesitant to return items, as I take responsibility for my decisions to buy things. But I also expect them to work, and this thing clearly doesn't. I think I'll just wait for Amazon to accept reviews; and whine.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #4125
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Amazon will no longer support the Echo Look, encourages owners to recycle theirs

Quote:
The company gives up on its standalone fashion camera

Amazon is discontinuing its Echo Look camera, a standalone device that gave owners fashion advice using artificial intelligence and machine learning. The Look’s companion app and the device itself will stop functioning on July 24th. Between now and July 24th, 2021, Look users can back up their images and videos by making a free Amazon Photos account. (People with existing Photos accounts will have their media backed up automatically.) Anyone who wants to delete all their existing photos and videos will have to do so before the July 2020 deadline; otherwise, they’ll have to call Amazon’s customer service to have them deleted. They can currently delete them through the Look app.

Amazon points out that much of the Echo Look’s functionality is now included in the Amazon Shopping app, including Style by Alexa, which involves the AI offering fashion pointers. The company says people should download the app to keep consulting with Amazon, and they should also recycle their Look through Amazon’s program.