Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #466
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanPierre View Post
Okay I figured out what was wrong with the ReadifyFont outputs: the Styles (SubFamily) attributes were not set correctly for the Bold and Italic font variants. I went ahead and corrected these manually and have attached the resultant files.

I am currently using—and prefer—the 36pt variant since I have my font size on my Kobo set to 35, but I will try the 12pt variant later and see which of those two I prefer. 7pt might be preferable for those with tiny font settings, and 72pt might be preferable for those with enormous font settings.

If you liked the old version, the closest one to it is the 12pt variant. The difference is in the weight of certain edges of characters, which decrease as the point rating increases. I find I like the 36pt variant best.
Thank You again, the reason why I used 12 is silly: 12 is the size I generally use with Libre Office or Word (I am sure that it has no relation with dimensions of fonts in Kobo). As I said before I saw 4 different fonts after the font forge treatment for font weight, Font Forge did not set properly the font family as one only font, instead it settled 4 different font families each one with the family font equal to the name. So I had to change it.

Last edited by ps67; 05-22-2020 at 03:42 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #467
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ChareInk has rather good glyph support. I suggest giving that a try.
Last time I checked (admittedly, a long time ago, possibly pre-ChareInk) Charis wasn't great if your dictionary needed the Greek alphabet.

For my own use I prefer a sans-serif font for dictionary display.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #468
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Thank You again, the reason why I used 12 is silly: 12 is the size I generally use with Libre Office or Word (I am sure that it has no relation with dimensions of fonts in Kobo). As I said before I saw 4 different fonts after the font forge treatment for font weight, Font Forge did not set properly the font family as one only font, instead it settled 4 different font families each one with the family font equal to the name. So I had to change it.
The contents of Literata-v3-forKobo.zip I uploaded in my last post should work as expected.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:33 AM   #469
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Last time I checked (admittedly, a long time ago, possibly pre-ChareInk) Charis wasn't great if your dictionary needed the Greek alphabet.

For my own use I prefer a sans-serif font for dictionary display.
Wasn't Charis (and Gentium) specifically designed to support Cyrillic and Greek character sets? I haven't tested myself, but the reason I tried out Charis in the first place is the wider support for character glyphs.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #470
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
Wasn't Charis (and Gentium) specifically designed to support Cyrillic and Greek character sets? I haven't tested myself, but the reason I tried out Charis in the first place is the wider support for character glyphs.
For Charis SIL, this is a quote from the FAQs on their website:
Quote:
Why does the font have some Greek characters, but not all?

While it is true that the font includes some Greek characters, it is not intended to provide general support for the Greek language. Those Greek characters that were included were done so in order to support various (primarily linguistic) notational systems. If Greek language support is needed, the Galatia SIL and Gentium fonts are two available options.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #471
ozgurs
Enthusiast
ozgurs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Font pack for Kobo and best font you advise...

Hi all,

It would be great if you can share your font sets here as one zip archive and advise which one you like to read the best...

Thanks in advance..

Kobo Forma new user
ozgurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #472
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgurs View Post
Hi all,

It would be great if you can share your font sets here as one zip archive and advise which one you like to read the best...

Thanks in advance..

Kobo Forma new user
Not all fonts that we side load are legally allowed to be shared on MR.

There is no need to start another thread. Just read the following thread and put any comments in there.

Summary of Modified Fonts

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-14-2020 at 06:46 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #473
ozgurs
Enthusiast

I found a we page which also lists some fonts for informative purpoeses...

https://www.ereader-palace.com/

Kobo Forma new user

Last edited by ozgurs; 06-15-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #474
ozgurs
Enthusiast

Yes right.. I posted a solition for my need
(a font pack) there..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4000013

Kobo Forma new user
Old 06-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #475
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I found a we page which also lists some fonts for informative purpoeses...

https://www.ereader-palace.com/insta...kobo-ereaders/

Kobo Forma new user
For Bookerly, there's a version for computers and a version optimized for e-ink. I wonder which one is shared on the site you linked to? Most likely the tablet version. That seems most common 'in the wild'.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how you know if you have the e-ink Bookerly or the other. I'm just giving you the heads' up.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:09 AM   #476
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...and advise which one you like to read the best...
My favorite font is Google's Literata Book, which can be freely shared. I'm not going to upload it here, but you can snag a copy from all over. Here's a link to the FontSquirrel page for it: Literata Book
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #477
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I remember also a thread about preferred fonts in Kobo (or in general not specific for Kobo?), but I will answer here.

I use mainly Bookerly for epub, Merrywether and Bitter for Kepub. You can find Merrywether and Bitter in Google fonts but the second has been updated on its site and last time I checked was not still updated in Google fonts. For Epub I also love Literata. I use other fonts too, I like to change them and make experiments.

You can find plenty of freely usable fonts for example in Google fonts:
https://fonts.google.com/

In the SIL fonts project:
https://software.sil.org/fonts/

In Tex Gire project fonts:
http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre

In the Latex archive fonts (not all available in the ttf or otf format):
https://tug.org/FontCatalogue/

Last edited by ps67; 06-14-2020 at 01:54 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #478
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've linked to the thread on fonts in the Kobo forum in post #2.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #479
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I like the built in Gil Sans.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:47 PM   #480
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
For Bookerly, there's a version for computers and a version optimized for e-ink. I wonder which one is shared on the site you linked to? Most likely the tablet version. That seems most common 'in the wild'.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how you know if you have the e-ink Bookerly or the other. I'm just giving you the heads' up.
It's the LCD version pulled from some version Fire firmware.