Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
If Amazon has mungled something on the back end, they need to fix it, and we are at their mercy.

Have you tried different browsers just for grins and giggles?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It appears that they return anything that matches any of the ‘search terms’, and that placing quotes around two words does not combine them into one search term. If the logic were that both (or all) terms needed to match, it could render the search ‘brittle’ should one of those be misspelled. And it probably does not merit an implementation that requires user to disambiguate by typing ‘Mark AND Twain’ or ‘Mark OR Twain’.

I have run into similar issues with Search in the iOS app, and it seemed the trouble must be with the metadata. For example, I have several books by Mo Yan. Neither ‘Mo yan’ nor ‘yan mo’ Find the books in my library, only books in Kindle Store. I have to type ‘yan,’ (With comma).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:19 PM   #18
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I tried 3 difference searches and got a proper response on two of them and a mostly proper response on the third. I have a lot of Dick Francis books and putting his name in the search field, I got all of his books, plus one book by his son, Felix.

I'm on a Mac, using Chrome.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:51 PM   #19
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Could you try something like "Kellerman +Faye" or "Kellerman -Jonathan"? Or is that the boolean search you mentioned earlier?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #20
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
They seem to have fixed it. Thank heavens! It was really getting annoying.

It is now working okay from my work computer: both Firefox and Chrome on Windows 10. I didn't get up early enough to try at home before leaving for work, but hopefully fixed-on-one is fixed-on-all, because broken-on-one was definitely broken-on-all .

Thanks to everyone...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:06 PM   #21
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

P.S. Yes, that was the Boolean I was referring to sooner, which didn't work, at least in any way I could dream up, but now it's fixed, so it's moot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Could you try something like "Kellerman +Faye" or "Kellerman -Jonathan"? Or is that the boolean search you mentioned earlier?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #22
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Let us know if the fix is still present when you reach your home machine!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #23
sufue
lost in my e-reader...

Yes, it was. And it has been okay today too. So hopefully Amazon caught their own glitch and has fixed it for good .

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Let us know if the fix is still present when you reach your home machine!