Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #61
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
know your meme!

seriously, someone want to teach writers to use styles in word like "select text with mouse, now go to styles, press button... press undo because you also marked text below"? good luck with that, and while you are in office teach them speed typing. double your text, double your money!
Wow, you're not serious, right?

I realize that creatives, largely, are allergic to right-brain processes, but that's not what we're talking about here. You take 10 minutes, set up a handful of styles (or, if you're a remotely organized person--a plotter, not a pantser, let's say), you reuse a pre-existing styled template that you've created--and off you go. You select a style for your first paragraph, if you REALLY want to be "on top of it," then select a style for the second and from that point forward, it's typing--nothing more.

When you get to chapter 2 (or 30 or whatever damn order you're writing in), you type Chapter 2, and yes, then you highlight it and select the heading, and then it's type the chapter, yadda.

I mean...we're talking, what, stop ONCE or twice in a chapter, at the beginning, to do something that will make the nav pane function like Scrivener--in fact, WHERE Scrivener got that idea FROM?

Wow, I mean, if that's just too much, then I guess there's no goddamned hope.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 AM   #62
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
)

seriously, someone want to teach writers to use styles in word like "select text with mouse, now go to styles, press button... press undo because you also marked text below"? good luck with that, and while you are in office teach them speed typing. double your text, double your money!
Well, yes. If you're GOING to write on a computer, basic computer skills are necessary.

How do you get on with "Hold pencil in right hand. Scrape the pointy end on the paper. If nothing happens, go to Pencil Sharpener"?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yet many of the same left-brained, computer illiterates have no difficulty whatsoever learning to use a smartphone so they can tweet and Instagram with their fans. Taking an active (and technological) role in marketing seems to be fine and dandy, but heaven forbid they'd have to highlight text and choose a style when typing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #64
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yet many of the same left-brained, computer illiterates have no difficulty whatsoever learning to use a smartphone so they can tweet and Instagram with their fans. Taking an active (and technological) role in marketing seems to be fine and dandy, but heaven forbid they'd have to highlight text and choose a style when typing.
OMG, yes! THIS^, exactly. Man, they can figure out how to use that funky Chinese video app, but highlight a chapter head and click a style?

Oh, THAT's too hard and it interferes with the creative process. (Do we have a "harrumph" emoty?)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #65
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If the external editor in question had it's own WYSIWYG editing/rendering capabilities, I would think you would be able to use those, but I wouldn't swear to it.

//snip!//
I have to tell you, I tried several out there. Most of them were junk. One I kind of liked; it had many of the features I required. I thought, "Ohboy! Now I can stay with the latest version of Sigil after all!" (Sorry, I don't remember its name. I guess that statement is a bit of a spoiler.)

Then, when I reopened the book--all kinds of errors! Seems that editor took it upon itself to make the original file .bak, and add the new .xhtml.

Did you see the mushroom cloud from where you were?
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #66
ghmerrill
ghmerrill began at the beginning.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
For what it is worth, I had some free development time and have added the following features to the next version of PageEdit. ...
Thanks. This seems like an eminently reasonable response and compromise within the goals and resources that Sigil has. Clearly there's at least one group of users who will appreciate this, and it won't be harmful to others.

I haven't been following this thread since I've been actually using Sigil+Amaya to move forward on my book. But an update on the thread appeared in my email this morning and I took a look.

About the flurry of opinions expressed concerning Word, etc. I have nothing to contribute (or nothing I want to). I've done all the howling at that moon that I care to, I've noticed that it's had little effect, and it isn't what I was looking for in my original query.

As to the "It was hard to make, so it should be hard to use" school (that's an actual -- though sarcastic and eye-rolling -- comment by one of my wife's previous managers when she was working in the commercial software division at Fujitsu), or the related school of "If it isn't hard to use, then users won't understand how much effort it took us and that will reflect poorly on our group" (that's an actual -- and absolutely serious -- comment from my boss in the Novartis AI group in 2001): this is not how I ever chose to develop software for end users, but maybe it works for you. And after all, in software product development, you're the one that's important, eh?

And now, back to the book ...
ghmerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #67
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghmerrill View Post
"If it isn't hard to use, then users won't understand how much effort it took us and that will reflect poorly on our group" (that's an actual -- and absolutely serious -- comment from my boss in the Novartis AI group in 2001): this is not how I ever chose to develop software for end users, but maybe it works for you. And after all, in software product development, you're the one that's important, eh?
I hope that's a rhetorical "you." Nobody in thread has espoused anything even remotely similar to that view.

But regarding who's the one that's important in software product development ... well that gets pretty fuzzy when there's no actual "product" for sale, and all development is done by a couple of folks who just like to do a little programming in their spare time and don't accept donations of any kind, now doesn't it? Just something to keep in mind for those who continue to insist on incorrectly associating irrelevant software development paradigms with what it is we're actually doing here.

Last edited by DiapDealer; Yesterday at 10:53 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote