Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #31
Olgar79
Olgar79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn363 View Post
@Olgar79 please, check the below list and remember to use Notepad++ to edit if you are in windows:
1.- Apply Allow searches on Extra dictionaries (libnickel.so.1.0.0) patch.
As jackie_w says, you don't need to change patch.
2.- Edit \.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf and fill ExtraLocales= under [ApplicationPreferences] section:
Spoiler:
Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
ExtraLocales=e2, i2

3.- Dictionaries will not be downloaded. You must copy dictionary files (dicthtml-e2.zip and dicthtml-i2.zip) to \.kobo\dict folder.
4.- Open the \.kobo\KoboReader.sqlite SQLite database and insert a row for each dictionary on Dictionary table.
Pay attention that suffix is -e2 while name is Extra:_e2 Inglés - Español (Harrap's) and size is in bytes.
5.- Safely disconnect the device and restart.

Good luck.
Didn't work when i try to click on my custom dictionary, the kobo switch strangely to the english dictionary, as the Extra:_xx didn't exist. The screenshot is when i copied only e2, the english dictionary i would like to add on kobo. Is it sure i didn't any mistakes on the first step?
I read something about to change the last rows for the new firmware:
find_base_address = `\0Extra:\x20`
replace_string = 0007, `\x20`, `_`
</Patch>

are these the right ones for 4.8.11073 firmware? Thanks you very much to everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181207_033846.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	168231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181207_033938.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	168232  
Olgar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgar79 View Post
Didn't work when i try to click on my custom dictionary, the kobo switch strangely to the english dictionary, as the Extra:_xx didn't exist. The screenshot is when i copied only e2, the english dictionary i would like to add on kobo.
Are you sure you've copy dicthtml-e2.zip file into .kobo/dict folder?

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #33
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
This does not seem to work with firmware 4.13.12638. I tried but failed. Anyone can help? Thanks!
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #34
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
This does not seem to work with firmware 4.13.12638. I tried but failed. Anyone can help? Thanks!
It's all working OK for me. There were some changes several firmwares ago (v.4.8.11073), but as far as I can tell it's been the same since then.

Post #1 has all the instructions, so all I can suggest is that you try again and follow each step carefully. However, the Kobo patching system has changed since these instructions were last updated so you may need to revisit step 1. The new kobopatch system does have the necessary patch, 'Allow searches on Extra dictionaries' in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #35
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Password required for database

Since FW 4.14.12777 a password is required to open the database. Does anyone know the password?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Password-needed.png
Views:	269
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	171422  
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #36
Elim Garak
Elim Garak
Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Elim Garak can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Touch/Glo/GloHD/Aura/AuraE2/AuraH2O/AuraH2O-E2/AuraONE/ClaraHD/Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
Since FW 4.14.12777 a password is required to open the database.
Firmware 4.14.12777 does not require a password to open the database ("KoboReader.sqlite")!
Elim Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #37
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
Firmware 4.14.12777 does not require a password to open the database ("KoboReader.sqlite")!
Ok, but why do I get this dialog? I never had this before.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #38
Dirk-71
Zealot

Ok, forget about it....I tried to open the wrong database, sorry.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #39
genoasalami
Connoisseur
genoasalami began at the beginning.

Device: KK3G, PW, Voyage, Oasis, Aura One, Forma
OK, maybe I'm an idiot, but I followed the directions to a T (i.e., perfectly), and I'm getting the no English dictionary error message. This is with a Forma on FW 4.15.12920. I have also undone all the changes and am still getting the error which, you can imagine, is quite frustrating. In fact, I am getting the error even after performing a factory reset. (I corrected the problem by reinstalling the firmware and upgrading to 4.17.13651 in the process. Unfortunately, I still don't have a functional Extra dictionary ... I will reattempt if anyone has any ideas about what may have gone wrong, but at this point I am still insistent that I followed the directions.)

Last edited by genoasalami; 09-18-2019 at 06:31 AM.
genoasalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #40
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Would anyone happen to know whence the data initially found in the Dictionary table of the database is populated?

I kept seeing a dictionary that is not installed (fr->en) listed under my extra dictionaries in the dictionary selection drop-down menu. I wanted to get rid of this, so I backed up the whole table and removed this entry, and that removed the item from the drop-down. However, it also removed it from the Language and dictionaries settings menu which allows you to select which dictionaries you'd like to install on your device. To confirm this behaviour I cleared out the Dictionary table of everything except the English dictionary and extra dictionaries I actually use. When I restore the table everything comes back, but so does that pesky fr->en dictionary in the drop-down.

With the Dictionary table completely empty, it appears that the device has no means to know what dictionaries it may request from Kobo. I tried syncing and the data isn't repopulated; I have to restore it manually. This makes me wonder whether Kobo has ever updated any of their dictionaries, and how the device would know if they had.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #41
Dirk-71
Zealot

I am running FW 4.19.14123 and it seems this instruction isn't working anymore. I did it quite often and know how it works.
Is there a new process?
Old 12-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #42
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
this instruction isn't working anymore
It works for me. Firmware 4.19; 5 dictionaries (n1-n5).

Check your .sqlite file.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #43
Marco77
Connoisseur
Marco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PW3, Clara HD, PB740
Quote:
I am running FW 4.19.14123 and it seems this instruction isn't working anymore. I did it quite often and know how it works.
Is there a new process?
I recently flashed the latest FW and would receive this error message after looking up a word:
"you don't have an Extra:_e1 (name of extra dict) dictionary installed"

"Manage dictionaries" showed select dictionaries were installed.

But then I realized I enabled "Change dicthtml strings to micthtml: yes" in kobopatch.yml

=> you have to either disable this patch, or rename zips in .kobo/dict/*.zip accordingly

otherwise, if you indeed use kobopatch, please post its contents here
Marco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:56 PM   #44
Glac
Glac began at the beginning.

Device: Aura
Hello,
I followed every step (with option 1b) and it isn't working. The dictionary appears well (Extra:_e1) but it mentions "0 Byte" below it. Could you please help me understand where could this issue come from ? I checked everything over and over and noticed nothing wrong .
Glac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #45
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glac View Post
Hello,
I followed every step (with option 1b) and it isn't working. The dictionary appears well (Extra:_e1) but it mentions "0 Byte" below it. Could you please help me understand where could this issue come from ? I checked everything over and over and noticed nothing wrong .
Don't worry about the "0 byte" label. Firmware handling of extra dictionaries has changed in the latest firmware. If you've done step 1b (from post #1) you also need to do steps 2, 3, 4. Step 5 is no longer necessary.

Finish off by doing a full power off. Once you've rebooted you should see Extra:_e1 as one of the available dictionaries in the drop-down menu when doing word lookup.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote