Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #4021
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I wonder if Duolingo could implement an Alexa skill?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #4022
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
How do I get my Dot to play my purchased music and not a radio station or Prime Music? I want to play my own Christmas music, and it's giving me I Heart Radio.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #4023
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
You don't, unless you bought it, digitally, from Amazon. OTOH, you can very likely create a playlist in Prime Music that pretty closely matches your own xmas music.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #4024
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You don't, unless you bought it, digitally, from Amazon. OTOH, you can very likely create a playlist in Prime Music that pretty closely matches your own xmas music.
But I am talking about wanting to play my Amazon-purchased music. When I ask for Christmas music, I get the radio. I tried saying play MY Christmas music, but that still gave me the radio. Other than creating a playlist or asking for a specific album, any ideas?
Old 11-30-2019, 02:22 PM   #4025
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I was able to get my songs purchased through Apple and/or ripped from old CDs but transferred to the Apple Music app on my iPhone to play through my Echo devices. However it was very kluge and quite frankly not worth the bleeping effort. This was at least two years ago, so the details are too fuzzy to remember now. But I think I had to select each song or album on the iPhone while it was connected to the Echo device. I don’t think I was ever able to just ask Alexa to play a specific song and get that to work. I soon gave up and just listen to the music I own via sources other than Amazon directly on my iPhone XR or iPad rather than be annoyed by Alexa and the way Amazon has limited her abilities for non-Amazon content. I’m also pissed that when I ask Alexa to play an Amazon song through the limited free service provided to Prime Members and that so g is not available for free listening, she doesn’t just say it isn’t available, she goes into a lengthy dialog and then switches me to a stupid radio station that plays similar music. WTH Amazon!

ETA: Oops while I was typing this Catlady posted again and so my reply is of no use to her. Sorry about that. I’ve never purchased music through Amazon so I’ve got no clue how to play specific songs that were.

Last edited by OtinG; 11-30-2019 at 02:24 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #4026
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Create a playlist. I don't know of another way, without significant grief.

Charlie.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #4027
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
How do I get my Dot to play my purchased music and not a radio station or Prime Music? I want to play my own Christmas music, and it's giving me I Heart Radio.
Did you try Settings->Music, and only select Amazon Music?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #4028
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Create a playlist. I don't know of another way, without significant grief.

Charlie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Did you try Settings->Music, and only select Amazon Music?
Thanks, folks. So the bottom line is that I need to go through the Alexa app to do anything. Which is annoying enough.

I wouldn't mind too much if I was just getting a Prime music selection of Christmas music--usually that's what I've gotten when I just ask for classical music or Beatles or Sinatra. But I sure don't want I Heart Radio, and I've never had that inflicted on me before.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #4029
CRussel
(he/him/his)

No, you can create a playlist directly on Amazon online, if that's better. (I run Amazon Music on my desktop, so use that, but the same features are available in the online streaming page. )
Old 12-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #4030
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No, you can create a playlist directly on Amazon online, if that's better. (I run Amazon Music on my desktop, so use that, but the same features are available in the online streaming page. )
Today when I asked for Christmas music, I got the Prime station, which I'm OK with. Maybe it wasn't yet set up for Christmas yesterday, and that's why I got that annoying I Heart Radio? I dunno, but it's fine until I do the playlist. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #4031
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Today when I asked for Christmas music, I got the Prime station, which I'm OK with. Maybe it wasn't yet set up for Christmas yesterday, and that's why I got that annoying I Heart Radio? I dunno, but it's fine until I do the playlist. Thanks.
You might check to see if you have Amazon Music as your default music library and default station:
  • Settings —> Music —> Default Services —> Default Music Library —> Amazon Music
  • Settings —> Music —> Default Services —> Default Station —> Amazon Music
Old 12-06-2019, 02:00 AM   #4032
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
My Christmas Music

Have you tried asking "Alexa, play Christmas music from my music." or some variation of that? Or ask for a specific album in your music? I often find it hit or miss when I ask for music. If I ask for a classical album I own, it comes up with a pop song with the same name.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:51 AM   #4033
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Definitely not a good subject to talk on a Christmas eve day, but...

Amazon Echo speaker goes 'rogue,' tells scared mom to 'stab yourself'
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #4034
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Definitely not a good subject to talk on a Christmas eve day, but...

Amazon Echo speaker goes 'rogue,' tells scared mom to 'stab yourself'
Sounds like "fake news" from a British tabloid to me. The Alexa service is far from perfect, but this story sounds extremely suspect. Perhaps someone hacked into her device, but I suspect this is just pure "fake news" BS.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #4035
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Sounds like "fake news" from a British tabloid to me. The Alexa service is far from perfect, but this story sounds extremely suspect. Perhaps someone hacked into her device, but I suspect this is just pure "fake news" BS.

Indeed. And "hacking" in this case, for the non-tech-savvy, could simply be someone in that other room with the other Alexa device saying "Alexa, announce '...stab yourself.'"

A news report should have at least mentioned the log of what the device heard and said from the app.

Last edited by ApK; 12-24-2019 at 10:14 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote