Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
USB Wall Charger

Just a heads up since accessories don't seem to be available yet for the Kobo.

I picked up a Univeral AC USB charging adapter for $10.98 at Walmart yesterday.

I don't have my Kobo yet, but I do have other USB only devices that previously had to be charged using my laptop. I charged my iPod using this adapter last night and it worked great.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I went to Canada Computers and picked up a "Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger - 3 Outlet, Wall Mount, 2 USB Charge Ports (BZ103050-TVL)" for $14.99.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Anyone tried their Blackberry wall charger yet? I'm afraid it might overload the kobo.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
I'm also using a standard usb charger from another device and it charges. Output is 5V 400mA.

The eReader says DC 5V 700mA near the miniUSB port.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
So long as the output is 5V any larger current device will not overload your Kobo, however, using a smaller device that cannot output sufficient current may cause the charger to burn up. You should use a charger that outputs 5V and at least 700 mA.

Using less may be ok with extended charger times but be sure and see if the charger gets hot. If so, do not use it. The Kobo device like all devices that connect to a computer can scale back their current needs and extend the time to charge the device, since a computer is only guaranteed to provide 500mA, and may be less if you are sharing the port with multiple devices. However, a dumb charger may not be able to tell the eBook reader to scale back its requirements.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So long as the output is 5V any larger current device will not overload your Kobo, however, using a smaller device that cannot output sufficient current may cause the charger to burn up. You should use a charger that outputs 5V and at least 700 mA.

Using less may be ok with extended charger times but be sure and see if the charger gets hot. If so, do not use it. The Kobo device like all devices that connect to a computer can scale back their current needs and extend the time to charge the device, since a computer is only guaranteed to provide 500mA, and may be less if you are sharing the port with multiple devices. However, a dumb charger may not be able to tell the eBook reader to scale back its requirements.
That's very helpful. Thanks!
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
Wow, Thanks DaleDe
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
I have a charger for my GPS that says 5V and 1.5A. Will that work fine for the Kobo?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I have a charger for my GPS that says 5V and 1.5A. Will that work fine for the Kobo?
Yes, it should work fine. 5V plus a number bigger than or equal to 700mA. 1.0A is equal to 1000 mA.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, it should work fine. 5V plus a number bigger than or equal to 700mA. 1.0A is equal to 1000 mA.

Dale
Thank you.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
I already have a Kindle DX, but I will be buying the Kobo for my wife.
I plan on using my DX wall plug to charge the Kobo. The specs on the Amazon wall charger supplied with the DX are 4.9V at .850A

So if you have access to a Kindle (K2 or DX), you can use its charger for your Kobo.
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
Anyone tried their Blackberry wall charger yet? I'm afraid it might overload the kobo.
The "mini-USB" fits the Kobo nicely and the current printed on the charger (I have a Blackberry 9000 Bold) is 5V, 500mA which, reading the rest of the thread, seems "ideal" trade-off for safety and practicality (since I travel with BB charger anyway).
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
stevefinlay
stevefinlay began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I'm using BlackBerry charger with success.
stevefinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefinlay View Post
I'm using BlackBerry charger with success.
I also use my Blackberry wall charger sometimes and have had no problems.

Of course, my Blackberry is usually using it so I mostly plug my Kobo in to the laptop to charge.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
MonoPrice.com sell USB Wallwarts with shipping for less than $5, I'm going to pick one up for a different use but I'll test it with the Kobo too. It's rated for 1A so it should be plenty for the Kobo's 700mA.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote