Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Experience with the level of geo restrictions at kobo (shortcovers)?

Is there anyone from Europe who've had any experience with buying books from Shortcovers/Kobo, and what did you think?

I tried it out when shortcovers was launched, but I couldn't buy anything then and gave it up. Since then, Fictionwise have become completely impossible to buy anything of interest from, while Amazon, to my surprise, actually have had most of those books available that I've had interest in, so the question of geo restrictions seems 'muddy' and just because one shop can't/won't offer a wide variety, others may.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Dunno about Europe, but often restricted in Australia

e.g. This content is not available internationally.

Unfortunately, this content is only available in select countries, and we do not currently have the rights to offer this content for browsing or purchasing in Australia. For more information on our geographic availability, please click here.

This is for Alastair Reynolds The Prefect - a book that has been out everywhere in the world of interest for years.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Or, I would guess you can continue to give up.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I'm in the Uk and cannot buy from Shortcovers at all.
Totally agree with you about Fictionwise - I'm reduced to their Multiformat selection, which seems to be mostly Dark Fantasy and bodice-rippers!
Have you tried WH Smith's (http://www.whsmith.co.uk/jump-pages/books-ebooks.aspx)? They're not the cheapest but seem to have all the bestsellers etc. As you're in Europe too, you should be able to buy from them.
Good luck!
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks I did suspect the situation might be like with FW. Their multi-format selection doesn't exactly attract me either.

I usually check WH Smith, but they've rarely had the books I was loking for. Waterstone's is a bit better, but I've also had good experiences with cyberread.com - at the moment they even offer a nice discount for creating reviews. And even at Amazon I've been able to buy most of the books I've been interested in. I guess I wanted to find out if shortcovers had evolved a bit in the mean time - I was a bit put out when they were first launched and I found out I couldn't buy anything from them
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
I'm in the Uk and cannot buy from Shortcovers at all.
Have you tried us recently? We have been improving our selection in the UK and you should now only see titles you can purchase when you browse.

Ausies, you're next on our list...
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard

What about the rest of the world? Also with regards to geographical restrictions.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Hogan
Zealot
Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Hogan , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Motorola Xoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Have you tried us recently? We have been improving our selection in the UK and you should now only see titles you can purchase when you browse.

Ausies, you're next on our list...
You are joking? Its a terrible selection from the UK. For eaxmple, I browsed to the Mystery & Suspense section and clicked on Dan Brown, James Patterson, Michael Connelly and Sue Grafton ... guess what? All NOT available internationally.

Come back to us when you have serious offerings for non-American customers! Meantime, I'll stick with Cyberread.
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840

I rarely check Shortcovers now, since I can never buy anything, but have tried to have a look since your re-vamp.......only to find the site won't even load for me now.......
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote