Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
DojoPat
literature lover
DojoPat has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Ereader PRS-505 & PRS-300
"Protect Page" error with Public Library EPUB books

In the past I have been able to load DRM'd PDF books from the NY Public Library onto my 505 (using Adobe DE) and was able to read them successfully.

But now the library has switched from PDF to the protected Adobe EPUB format and I am having trouble. I am able to transfer the EPUB to the 505 properly using Adobe, but when I try to read the book I get a "Protect Page" error.

Reading thru the archives I know that other people have had this problem but I have not found a solution that works for me.

I re-installed Adobe and re-authorized my PC, and it recognizes the 505 and seems to transfer the books successfully. But I still can't view the books properly when I use my Reader. Any thoughts?
DojoPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Remove all of the DRMed PDF and try just one ePub and see how you get on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
DojoPat
literature lover

>>> Remove all of the DRMed PDF and try just one ePub and see how you get on. <<<

Yep, I tried that, but no luck. The only Adobe DRM books on my Reader now are the two EPUB books I'm borrowed. Grrrr...
Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
tench
Connoisseur
tench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toystench shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've had success removing all the drm'd PDFs and ePubs, deactivating and reactivating the Reader with ADE, and then loading only one drm'd format.
tench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
There are several threads on this topic. The issue appears to be that library ePUBs and library PDFs cannot be on the device at the same time. This is a known issue with Overdrive and the DRM they use to protect books.

I resolved the issue by stripping the DRM from the titles. Which makes me possibly guilty of violations of US law. Good thing I have EU citizenship...if they come after me I'll run...
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
DojoPat
literature lover

Success !

I decided to delete ALL PDF's from my 505, even the ones that did not have any DRM.

Finally I was able to view the EPUB books.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I found that I could load the books onto my reader using ADE, but couldn't move them into the Sony Library to make collections. I eventually 'found' them by looking at my books by date...and there they were!
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I'm having the same problem but I think the cause is slightly different.

I have ADE installed in my work and home computer and for any reason I've downloaded books from my Library in both computers. When I connect my PRS-505 in my work computer, all books that were transfered from my Home computer show as protected and cannot be read.

When I connect to my home computer and copy its files again (after deleting from the reader), these start to work properly while the ones from my Work computer start to show the protected error.

Anybody here already experienced that?

Thanks

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Did you authorize both computers to the same Adobe ID?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Yes, I could only check it now. Actually I have 3 computers and all of them are authorized to the same username.

It seems pretty easy to reproduce the problem. For now, I'll try to keep my borrowed books in only one computer.

Thanks

Paulo
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I have found ADE to be one of the buggiest pieces of software I've ever used.

Now that I'm not reading DRM'd PDF or EPUB titles, I can skip using ADE altogether. Joy!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #12
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I just drove an hour this weekend to get a card at the only set of libraries in GA that offer ebooks (everyone offers audiobooks). So, I get home and the pubs had worked before, but I couldn't get them onto my computer. It downloaded a link, but not a book.

So, then I find that I have to right click on the link and click on unblock to actually have it download the book (this is a VISTA issue I learned) after having closed adobe. Then, I can open them on my desktop and move them over to the reader, but I can't open them on the reader.

Then, another google search led me to deauthorize the sony reader, unplug and then plug back in the reader and re-authorize it. What a hassle - but I am now reading library books.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
gatorgirl2001
gatorgirl2001 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Hey everyone, I replied to a thread on the "troubleshooting" board but thought I'd do this one too as it might have more traffic.

I just got my reader yesterday and am having this problem. Installed all new ADE and Sony eBook Library. Problem still happens. My husband borrowed a PDF book, I borrowed a ePUB book. Only one can be read while the other is protected. This goes both ways, depending on how it was put on there (I re-checked out, put them back on a bunch of times).

My husband wanted a Kindle and I wanted the Sony - this is going to make him want to return it for the Kindle!

Has there been any solution to this problem?
gatorgirl2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
gatorgirl, this was answered earlier in the thread. Overdrive won't allow PDFs and Epubs simultaneously on the same device.

As for your husband, remind him that with the Kindle you can't use library ebooks *at all*.

And there's lots more free content for the Sony as well, if that matters to y'all.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
gatorgirl, this was answered earlier in the thread. Overdrive won't allow PDFs and Epubs simultaneously on the same device.

As for your husband, remind him that with the Kindle you can't use library ebooks *at all*.

And there's lots more free content for the Sony as well, if that matters to y'all.

Actually, yes you can by running a Kindlefix script on your computer, then transferring to your Kindle. Takes about 10seconds.

Allows the Kindle to "see" the book, but doesn't strip drm, since, when the loan period is over, the book closes, just like when you download one onto your computer

As for "more free content", how do you figure?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote