Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
[Old Thread] Epub cover image does not display correctly

I use the same method to add covers to my LRF and Mobi files and the covers look fine on my LRF/Mobi ebooks. However, when I convert to epub the covers never come out looking correct. The images are magnified past the cover page so maybe only a few letters of text are visible. I'm not sure what is magnifying the cover images and I'm baffled as to what could be causing this to happen.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
can you attach a sample, so we can see what you mean.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Here's an example epub. The cover image is supposed to be much smaller with two guys on the cover and the title of the story.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: epub Aramuin - QueensGuard.epub (2.34 MB, 433 views)
Old 02-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Here's an example epub. The cover image is supposed to be much smaller with two guys on the cover and the title of the story.
Thanks
I see two guys on the cover and the title of the story. What are you using to view the epub?
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
If I add the epub to Calibre all I see in the meta-info is the left-hand person. In the Calibre viewer the proportions of the image are wrong, the cover is stretched to fit the screen.

I think this is the original.
http://gracetherein.livejournal.com/75382.html

All the image files in the epub file seem to be OK, proportion-wise.

On my Sony the cover image only shows the word QueensGuard almost the full width of the screen
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If I add the epub to Calibre all I see in the meta-info is the left-hand person. In the Calibre viewer the proportions of the image are wrong, the cover is stretched to fit the screen.

I think this is the original.
http://gracetherein.livejournal.com/75382.html

All the image files in the epub file seem to be OK, proportion-wise.

On my Sony the cover image only shows the word QueensGuard almost the full width of the screen
This sounds familiar. Kovid has made a deliberate design decision which is screwing up your cover. I encountered it last year:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...207#post559207
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This sounds familiar. Kovid has made a deliberate design decision which is screwing up your cover. I encountered it last year:
Hm, OK I've read the thread.

Sounds like one workround (for the OP and his epub) would be to resize the cover image to be the correct width for the reader and then to increase the canvas size to the maximum height of the reader so that Calibre won't resize it.

Hold on, I'll try it.
Yes it works. Bit of a fiddle but the cover is not distorted.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hm, OK I've read the thread.

Sounds like one workround (for the OP and his epub) would be to resize the cover image to be the correct width for the reader and then to increase the canvas size to the maximum height of the reader so that Calibre won't resize it.

Hold on, I'll try it.
Yes it works. Bit of a fiddle but the cover is not distorted.
Just to illustrate the problem with a work around:

The correct width for which reader (I have several), and for which cover image (the size varies)?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
banjomike
Addict

Quote:
Just to illustrate the problem with a work around:

The correct width for which reader (I have several), and for which cover image (the size varies)?
That is the problem with most workarounds, they are not ideal.

Of the 300 or so titles on my Sony only a small number have a cover that is so stretched/distorted that I might even bother to fix it. The original poster has an epub that has a REAL problem. Many more of mine are slightly distorted but unless there was an option to enlarge image but "Keep Aspect Ratio" in Calibre I don't see much alternative.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I see two guys on the cover and the title of the story. What are you using to view the epub?
I'm using the Sony Library Software.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
I'm curious what program are you using to view the epub file?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
I read through the thread as well and I'm not sure why this only seems to affect the epub covers? Is the design decision the one to add a default cover?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
I'm curious what program are you using to view the epub file?
Calibre's built-in epub viewer.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Calibre's built-in epub viewer.
Ah, I use the Sony one because it shows what the epub will look like on the Sony. The calibre viewer is adjustable so less reliable in that sense.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #15
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Ah, I use the Sony one because it shows what the epub will look like on the Sony. The calibre viewer is adjustable so less reliable in that sense.
Well, I also see two guys on the cover and the title of the story when using the FireFox EPUB viewer plugin, and while using uBook's EPUB viewer.

Plus, while calibre's viewer can be resized, I always see two guys and the title no matter how big or small I make it. I never see only part of the image as reported.