Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #301
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The non breaking spaces are being preserved. They're just encoded as UTF-8 characters instead of HTML entities.

The next release of calibre will have a --level3-toc option.

The calibre viewer does not support CSS based page breaks. This is not a problem if you generate EPUBs using calibre, since it will automatically split them up on page breaks.

All the epubcheck warnings you see can be ignored.

The bug about empty paragraphs is not really a bug, since representing empty paragraphs as <p/> is perfectly legal HTML.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:29 AM   #302
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The calibre viewer does not support CSS based page breaks. This is not a problem if you generate EPUBs using calibre, since it will automatically split them up on page breaks.
Thanks Kovid, for introducing the level 3 toc option. I had asked you about that a long time ago. Glad it will be realised now.

I do not understand what you mean by the above statement. Calibre viewer does display epub page breaks very nicely (in fact those page breaks are not really page breaks but separate files) Does not every epub viewer handle files that way and what is handled differently in the Calibre viewer?

I think you may be talking about pagebreaks in other formats that are not displayed in Calibre viewer (Mobi page breaks for example) as Calibre viewer has in fact a browser engine heart (Webkit)? Or do I get something wrongly?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #303
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

page breaks in an epub file come from two sources

1) Separate file

2) CSS properties page-break-before and page-break-after

1) calibre's viewer handles

2) calibre's viewer does not handle. However if you convert such a file, the converter automatically splits up the file at the page breaks, so that the viewer will handle page breaks in the converted file
Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #304
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Although I would disagree by the "be conservative in what you produce" rule. Any reason e.g. 'series_index" can't just be via the OPF-provided <meta/> element?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #305
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Although I would disagree by the "be conservative in what you produce" rule. Any reason e.g. 'series_index" can't just be via the OPF-provided <meta/> element?
Historical reasons, i.e. no real reason. But actually in this case I dont really see what that would acheive. You're not really being conservative in what you produce. In either case you're producing a field in the OPF that no software other than calibre will understand.

But feel free to submit a patch to metadata.opf2.OPFCreator (you'll also have to path opf2.OPF to first try to read the value from the meta tag)

Oh and you might want to go the whole hog and do the same for the series and rating fields as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #306
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Historical reasons, i.e. no real reason. But actually in this case I dont really see what that would acheive. You're not really being conservative in what you produce.
XML isn't all just fun and games you know. There are serious implications to adding new tags willy-nilly! What if the IDPF later adds a <series/> sub-element of <metadata/>, but specifies it as having a @name attribute for the series name and a text() of the (to calibre) series index?

Ok, probably not, but OPF comes with a RelaxNG schema for validation, which schema only allows the tags explicitly allowed by the OPF specs, yah?. Even if any sane OPF processor would ignore parts it didn't understand, extra-tag errors are strictly errors and should be emitted by a validity checker. The presence of "non-error errors" in the checker output makes it harder for a human to read the checker's output and verify whether or not the file is in fact "valid enough".

Quote:
In either case you're producing a field in the OPF that no software other than calibre will understand.
Yeah... I'd actually vote for namespace-prefixing the Calibre-specific metadata in some fashion, to increase the chances of global uniqueness.

Quote:
But feel free to submit a patch to metadata.opf2.OPFCreator (you'll also have to path opf2.OPF to first try to read the value from the meta tag)

Oh and you might want to go the whole hog and do the same for the series and rating fields as well.
Done and done and in lp:~llasram/calibre/staging.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #307
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
XML isn't all just fun and games you know. There are serious implications to adding new tags willy-nilly!
Aww shucks and here I was thinking XML parsing would be the new Betrayal at Krondor.

Quote:
What if the IDPF later adds a <series/> sub-element of <metadata/>, but specifies it as having a @name attribute for the series name and a text() of the (to calibre) series index?
Then I would have to paraphrase Obelix and say "These IDPF are crazy..."

Quote:
Ok, probably not, but OPF comes with a RelaxNG schema for validation, which schema only allows the tags explicitly allowed by the OPF specs, yah?. Even if any sane OPF processor would ignore parts it didn't understand, extra-tag errors are strictly errors and should be emitted by a validity checker. The presence of "non-error errors" in the checker output makes it harder for a human to read the checker's output and verify whether or not the file is in fact "valid enough".
That's really a sign that the validity checker's interface should be improved. But I agree, since it's an easy fix, we might as well fix it.

Quote:
Yeah... I'd actually vote for namespace-prefixing the Calibre-specific metadata in some fashion, to increase the chances of global uniqueness.
In an ideal world, yeah, but then epubchecker would cry.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #308
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Is there any prohibited in ePUB by a separate side file?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #309
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Aww shucks and here I was thinking XML parsing would be the new Betrayal at Krondor.
Coming this summer, Betrayal at the W3C!

Quote:
In an ideal world, yeah, but then epubchecker would cry.
I was thinking having the NS prefix on the @name value. Not spec-guaranteed unique, but perhaps good enough for general disambiguation?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #310
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Coming this summer, Betrayal at the W3C!

I was thinking having the NS prefix on the @name value. Not spec-guaranteed unique, but perhaps good enough for general disambiguation?
Ah you mean name="calibre:series"? Yeah that's a good idea. I'll hold off pulling from your branch until you merge that as well.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #311
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Does the current ePub conversion capability support embedded fonts? If not, could it be added easily? Alternatively, could someone with a Mac and a PRS700 figure out how to get the change-of-font-via-css-file trick to work properly? I've struck-out on my efforts in that direction.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #312
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

it doesn't and no its not easy, which is why it hasn't been done yet. It is on my TODO list though, so it will get done eventually
Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #313
Coolmicro
Groupie
Coolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enough

Device: Tablette android SmartQ T7 - Nook Touch - Pocketbook 602
Quote:
Hello,

Perhaps that the first 2 warnings Epubcheck can be ignored, i don't know:

ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/metadata.opf(6): attribute "files-as" from namespace "http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" not allowed at this point; ignored
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/metadata.opf(11): unknown element "series_index" from namespace "http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf"

But the others, when we use 2 levels of chapters (h1 and h2), no, for me, it's a bug :

ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(23): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(29): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(35): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(42): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(47): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(53): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
ERROR: /media/hd2/Mes documents/My eBooks/ePub/loti_les_desenchantees.epub/toc.ncx(59): assertion failed: identical playOrder values for navPoint/navTarget/pageTarget that do not refer to same target
There is much more, but always the same error:

Indeed, we made tests with the members of our group on Stanza (ipod touch and iphone), and the TOC is not in the good order for level 2 :

The file epub:
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/epub/l...nchantees.epub

See for the errors on stanza :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...1&d=1233411328

Here the parameters which I use (options):

Here, the ODT file which I use :
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/temp/l...s_epub.odt.zip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stanza1.png
Views:	876
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	22373   Click image for larger version

Name:	stanza2.png
Views:	935
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	22374   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre_parameters.png
Views:	939
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	22375  

Last edited by Coolmicro; 01-31-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Coolmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #314
Coolmicro
Groupie
Coolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enoughCoolmicro will become famous soon enough

Device: Tablette android SmartQ T7 - Nook Touch - Pocketbook 602
Footnotes

Another small problem for footnotes of the documents ODT in output epub

See:
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/temp/l...s_epub.odt.zip
http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/epub/l...nchantees.epub

The footnotes become notes of end of document. It is usual with the HTML or the Mobipocket format, but it is not the best solution with a format structured such as the epub.

The problem when one uses format ODT and Calibre, is that notes of end of document do not have a hyperlink to be able to return to the call of note

With HTML and Calibre, there is a hyperlink to be able to return to the call of note, but, with HTML, there are too many errors with Epubcheck. Format ODT, open, free, standardized and structured, is the best base for to make good conversion towards the format epub. I think that it is with this format that it is necessary to work in priority.
Coolmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #315
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmicro View Post
With HTML and Calibre, there is a hyperlink to be able to return to the call of note, but, with HTML, there are too many errors with Epubcheck.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that... If you have valid XHTML input, Calibre should produce a valid EPUB which passes epubcheck. If not, then that is a bug in calibre. If your XHTML has errors, then your EPUB will have errors. What problems are you seeing?

-Marshall