Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #16
kakapo
The Night Parrot
kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.kakapo can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Palm Vx, Kindle Keyboard (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
How come my FW download epub downloads as an HTML zipped file?
Because .epub files are just zipped HTML files (with stricter rules than regular HTML) and their web server is looking at the contents of the file instead of the name to determine the type to send it as. Just save them and change the extension if necessary.
kakapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
How come my FW download epub downloads as an HTML zipped file?
Apache
That's what an EPUB is....

Just change the extension to "EPUB" (I never seem to have to do this, but it is a known issue there and a few other places; must be OS or browser dependent).

The converse is also true - name any EPUB to ZIP instead and you can open it in Windows explorer (or any unzip program) and edit the contents; rename it back to EPUB and you can open it back as a book. Of course, you might want to practice on a copy of your book, just in case you hose it up.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
These three mysteries have popped up at Fictionwise, where with the 15% new discount, and the 55% coupon this week, they are $1.91 each. DRM-free too, which is nice.

They are also available at Amazon and BN, but for more: $3.82 each at Amazon and $4.99 each at BN.

The Old Dick won the 1982 Edgar Award for Best Paperback and was a finalist for the 1982 Shamus Award for Best Paperback.

Info and links:

THE OLD DICK FW BN Amaz

THE BIG ENCHILADA: FW BN Amaz

SLEAZE: FW BN Amaz

Hopefully all these links are affiliate-free since I started in each case with the top-level URL and went from there. If they aren't, I didn't mean it!

Thanks for the head's up on these.

I picked them all up, plus "The Flesh Eaters" (a sleazy/pulpy horror novel), from Fictionwise.

By the way, he also has a humorous mystery under a pseudonym, in case anyone is interested.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Thank you, I did not realize that. I just converted them using Calibre.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #20
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for letting us know. I got it. I keep looking at this series but I didn't want to pay in case I didn't like it. Now I can see if I like it for free, without using paperback.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #21
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Free from Midnight Ink: Old World Murder by Kathleen Ernst.

Quote:
Trying to leave painful memories behind her, Chloe Ellefson is making a fresh start. She's the new collections curator at Old World Wisconsin, an outdoor ethnic museum showcasing 1870s settlement life. On her first day, Chloe meets with an elderly woman who begs her to find a priceless eighteenth-century Norwegian ale bowl that had been donated to the museum years ago. But before Chloe can find the heirloom and return it to her, the woman dies in a suspicious car crash.

Digging up the history and whereabouts of the rare artifact quickly turns dangerous. Chloe discovers that someone is desperately trying to cover up all traces of the bowl's existence—by any means necessary. Assisting Chloe is police officer Roelke McKenna, whose own haunting past compels him to protect her. To catch the covetous killer, Chloe must solve a decades-old puzzle . . . before she becomes a part of history herself.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #22
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks for the head's up on these.

I picked them all up, plus "The Flesh Eaters" (a sleazy/pulpy horror novel), from Fictionwise.

By the way, he also has a humorous mystery under a pseudonym, in case anyone is interested.

Don
Yes, the humorous mystery is An Old-Fashioned Mystery and the pen name is Runa Fairleigh. It sounds like quite a departure from the other three! But, not available in ebook (US) AFAIK.

The Flesh Eaters is an ebook, as mentioned, but isn't really a mystery, so I didn't put it in this thread - and then I was in a hurry, and so forgot to put it in any other thread either... Maybe I'll see if anyone else has put it in the horror thread...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An Eye of Death by George Rees is free from Accent Press.

Quote:
A fast-paced murder mystery set in Shakespeare's Elizabethan London

Elizabethan playwright Dekker lives a fast, furious, and exciting existence in London, skirting poverty, danger, and the love of a good woman. He finds work as an adapter at Philip Henslowe's theatrical company and as a book-holder at Essex House - before being watched by Christopher Marlowe and others as politics intrude.

Theft of a hidden cipher and murder of a local constable keep him in trouble. Skilled plotting and namedropping means this book will especially will appeal to fans of Elizabethan theater and Simon Hawke's Shakespearean mysteries.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #24
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
An Eye of Death by George Rees is free from Accent Press.
Hmmmm...I like the Simon Hawke books, but am usually quite suspicious of the "fans of Famous Author Jane Doe will also like this book by Unknown Author Richard Smith" type of claim - it so often isn't the case!

Oh well, for free, I guess I can give it a try!

Thanks, NB!
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Yes, the humorous mystery is An Old-Fashioned Mystery and the pen name is Runa Fairleigh. It sounds like quite a departure from the other three! But, not available in ebook (US) AFAIK.

The Flesh Eaters is an ebook, as mentioned, but isn't really a mystery, so I didn't put it in this thread - and then I was in a hurry, and so forgot to put it in any other thread either... Maybe I'll see if anyone else has put it in the horror thread...

I've been unable to find out anything about this author - personal or professional - after his short publishing spree of 5 novels.

Don
Old 11-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Revenge of the Cootie Girls by Sparkle Hayter is free on Amazon

A Girl's Night Out on Halloween goes awry after Robin's naive young intern calls from a married man's closet, then disappears.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Revenge of the Cootie Girls by Sparkle Hayter is free on Amazon

A Girl's Night Out on Halloween goes awry after Robin's naive young intern calls from a married man's closet, then disappears.
Also free (and DRM-free) at Kobo.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I've been unable to find out anything about this author - personal or professional - after his short publishing spree of 5 novels.

Don

Apparently he isn't writing any more - just birdwatching and sculpting. lol

http://www.hswliteraryagency.humber....rs/lmorse.html
Old 11-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Apparently he isn't writing any more - just birdwatching and sculpting. lol

http://www.hswliteraryagency.humber....rs/lmorse.html

Thank you for the information!

Now, with the re-release in ebook format of these 'forgotten' novels, perhaps he might come out of retirement......

Don
Old 11-07-2012, 06:11 AM   #30
NightBird
Wizard

Not exactly a huge bargain but a huge price drop and deal from Penguin on Sue Grafton's latest in the alphabet series V is for Vengeance. $7.99, down from $14.99, and for $3.95 you can get the Audible audio version.

Quote:
A spiderweb of dangerous relationships lies at the heart of V is for Vengeance, Sue Grafton's daring new Kinsey Millhone novel.

A woman with a murky past who kills herself-or was it murder? A spoiled kid awash in gambling debt who thinks he can beat the system. A lovely woman whose life is about to splinter into a thousand fragments. A professional shoplifting ring working for the Mob, racking up millions from stolen goods. A wandering husband, rich and ruthless. A dirty cop so entrenched on the force he is immune to exposure. A sinister gangster, conscienceless and brutal. A lonely widower mourning the death of his lover, desperate for answers, which may be worse than the pain of his loss. A private detective, Kinsey Millhone, whose thirty-eighth-birthday gift is a punch in the face that leaves her with two black eyes and a busted nose.

And an elegant and powerful businessman whose dealings are definitely outside the law: the magus at the center of the web.

V: Victim. Violence. Vengeance.