Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
eMonitor

Hi,

This is version 2 of my already released program. I had originally released it as a reply in a thread, mainly because I thought only a few people would be interested in how my code worked. However, I was surprised that several people actually liked and used the program. As such, I am creating its own thread. (It was also somewhat hijacking the main thread.)

Well, here is my eMonitor program. It uses the web browser for rendering, so it isn't very efficient, but I suppose that it is better than nothing. Tested on Windows 7 x64, Python 2.7.2, wxPython 2.8.

Prerequisites:
Procedure:
1. Download and extract webserver_v2.zip in the attachments section below. Double click the extracted file, and it should open with Python. You should look something like this:

2. Open the web browser on your Kindle. In the address bar, type in the URL displayed in the Python window. If all goes well, you should see the top left area of your computer screen.

Notes:
  • Your Kindle must be connected to the same WiFi network as your computer.
  • You must allow Python through any firewall on your computer.
  • The script uses an HTTP server on port 8000. If for some reason you don't like the number 8000, or some other program is using that port, you can change it somewhere near the top of the program.
  • As of version 2, the program automatically detects your IP Address for you. However, if something goes wrong, you can manually find your IP Address.
    Spoiler:
    Open command prompt and run the command "ipconfig". For linux/mac users, the terminal command is "ifconfig". You can see my IP Address highlighted below:

New in version 2:
  • Changed image dimensions to better fit screen (Thanks Mario1up)
  • Automatically detect IP Address (Thanks pconwell)
  • Switched from PNG to grayscale JPG for smaller file size
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	client.gif
Views:	24993
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	75990   Click image for larger version

Name:	server.png
Views:	24510
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	75991   Click image for larger version

Name:	ip.png
Views:	24576
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	75992  
Attached Files
File Type: zip webserver_v2.zip (2.8 KB, 3088 views)

Last edited by kranu; 09-01-2011 at 05:52 PM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
kind
kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks a lot! I wish I could write on PC and see it on Kindle in real time. Hope it will work so in final version.
kind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
pconwell
pconwell began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Awesome, glad you found a much better way to get the IP.

Good work!
pconwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
This is really, really cool. I could use this when I watch internet streams on my TV through my notebook and don't want to switch from fullscreen to look at the attached chat room (the kindle browser doesn't seem able to to this on its own). I'd have to use two computers, though, right? Or is there another solution for this? Like if you could log off one windows account and log on another without the first one becoming inactive or something. Anyway, nice work and thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 09-07-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
This is really, really cool. I could use this when I watch internet streams on my TV through my notebook and don't want to switch from fullscreen to look at the attached chat room (the kindle browser doesn't seem able to to this on its own). I'd have to use two computers, though, right? Or is there another solution for this? Like if you could log off one windows account and log on another without the first one becoming inactive or something. Anyway, nice work and thanks for sharing.
Actually, it's possible to do this with one computer, but it might not work with all computers. As you can see in the attachment screenshot, I was able to force Windows 7 to add another display using 'detect'. You can then set the resolution to portrait 600x800, and modify the offset x,y in the python script. It's a little troublesome, but if you can get it to work, it's quite nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anotherscreen.png
Views:	2155
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	76252  
Old 09-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Actually, it's possible to do this with one computer, but it might not work with all computers. As you can see in the attachment screenshot, I was able to force Windows 7 to add another display using 'detect'. You can then set the resolution to portrait 600x800, and modify the offset x,y in the python script. It's a little troublesome, but if you can get it to work, it's quite nice.
I've tried it and it works!..
my screen resolution is 1280*800 and I set l,t as l,t=(1280,0) ,w,h=(800,500) ; and open browser in landscape mode.
Thanks again.
Is there a way to switch to this second screen on the computer? (Or a way to capture a window)

Last edited by thomass; 09-08-2011 at 12:49 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I've tried it and it works!..
my screen resolution is 1280*800 and I set l,t as l,t=(1280,0) ,w,h=(800,500) ; and open browser in landscape mode.
Thanks again.
Is there a way to switch to this second screen on the computer? (Or a way to capture a window)
It behaves the way as any dual monitor setup, except you can't see what's on the second screen. Meaning that, if you set it up so that the second monitor is on the right, you can drag a window past the right edge of your primary monitor, and it will appear on the Kindle screen, after the delay.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It behaves the way as any dual monitor setup, except you can't see what's on the second screen. Meaning that, if you set it up so that the second monitor is on the right, you can drag a window past the right edge of your primary monitor, and it will appear on the Kindle screen, after the delay.
I found a software which enables us to see second screen :GiMeSpace
If you use it with extented screen you can see the second screen by just moving mouse ! (It is not free, we should find a free one. You can download it from here (trial version)

Last edited by thomass; 09-08-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Cool, this is a great solution, ty.

Question: How can I change the speed at which the pictures are send? Is this the code for it?: 'self.send_response(200)'

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 09-08-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #10
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Cool, this is a great solution, ty.

Question: How can I change the speed at which the pictures are send? Is this the code for it?: 'self.send_response(200)'
Actually, the code is written in such a way that the Kindle starts getting the next image as soon as it finishes loading the current image. In other words, there's no easy way to speed it up.

As for the snippet of code you quoted, that's just sending an HTTP response to the Kindle, telling it that the server does indeed exist.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
I found a software which enables us to see second screen :GiMeSpace
If you use it with extented screen you can see the second screen by just moving mouse ! (It is not free, we should find a free one. You can download it from here (trial version)
I'm pretty sure that my method works on any computer that has an unused display port. This free software has drivers for adding an additional screen, but it has limited Vista/7 support (you have to disable aero in order for it to run).
Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Actually, the code is written in such a way that the Kindle starts getting the next image as soon as it finishes loading the current image. In other words, there's no easy way to speed it up.

As for the snippet of code you quoted, that's just sending an HTTP response to the Kindle, telling it that the server does indeed exist.
Okay, I thought I might be a natural limit. It's not a problem for me, however.

I'm curious, what do you guys else find uses for 'E-monitor' specifically?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that my method works on any computer that has an unused display port. This free software has drivers for adding an additional screen, but it has limited Vista/7 support (you have to disable aero in order for it to run).
Actually what I mean is different. :GiMeSpace is not an app to send screen to another device , It only enables me to see the second screen on the first screen temporarily . It useful only if I use it with your app and extended screen (like your description).

GiMeSpace makes the screen behave like a wider screen. (For example my screen resolution is 1280*800. I set the ( virtually ) wider screen resolution as 2500*800. then when I move the mouse to the right edge of the screen, screen starts to slip to show me this extra space (then I can see and oparate on this extra part) . And If I set an extended screen at the same time, it displays this extra part (when I slip back) .And with your app I can see it on the Kindle .

Therefore GiMeSpace is not an alternative to your app but a supplementary.
It is useful to see the second screen on the first screen temporarily to make some small changes (like scrolling, or changing pages,..etc)

It is good to see and make modification on what I send to Kindle without any effect on what I see on the the screen of my computer.

Sorry for my English

BTW: I couldn't make ZoneScreen work. I could set it to send pictures but I couldn't make Kindle display them; Thanks anyway..

Last edited by thomass; 09-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Actually what I mean is different. :GiMeSpace is not an app to send screen to another device , It only enables me to see the second screen on the first screen temporarily . It useful only if I use it with your app and extended screen (like your description).

GiMeSpace makes the screen behave like a wider screen. (For example my screen resolution is 1280*800. I set the ( virtually ) wider screen resolution as 2500*800. then when I move the mouse to the right edge of the screen, screen starts to slip to show me this extra space (then I can see and oparate on this extra part) . And If I set an extended screen at the same time, it displays this extra part (when I slip back) .And with your app I can see it on the Kindle .

Therefore GiMeSpace is not an alternative to your app but a supplementary.
It is useful to see the second screen on the first screen temporarily to make some small changes (like scrolling, or changing pages,..etc)

It is good to see and make modification on what I send to Kindle without any effect on what I see on the the screen of my computer.

Sorry for my English

BTW: I couldn't make ZoneScreen work. I could set it to send pictures but I couldn't make Kindle display them; Thanks anyway..
Ack, I should've been more clear. ZoneScreen has a driver that lets you add a virtual screen to your computer, which you can then use in conjunction with the eMonitor program, if you don't have the option to force detection. I guess I misunderstood your original question.

As for the program you linked, it looks like it has a free version.

Last edited by kranu; 09-09-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
timofonic
Zealot
timofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic somethingtimofonic has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox M96+
Hello.

Can I use it under Linux? And as a second monitor?

I have a Kindle DXG, so no wifi is possible unfortunately. Any solution?

Regards
timofonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
display, emonitor, kindle, screen