Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
Mavrique
Mavrique began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Oasis 2017 question - Can you sideload Audible books?

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I know it is not possible to sideload MP3 formatted books onto the KAO2; but has anyone tried or does anyone know if it is possible to sideload an audible (formatted) book and have it work?

I'm hoping the answer/s will help make the decision on whether to go for an 8GB or 32GB model.

Thanks in advance.

M.

Last edited by Mavrique; 12-11-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Clarity
Mavrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #2
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
Yes, it will work, but only for .aax (Enhanced), not .aa (Format 4, which is about half the size). Only .aax format is supported by Kindle, it seems. (I have Kindle 8th gen, which just got Audible support and so it should also be same with Oasis).

This is baffling to me, since I suspect most people would prefer to conserve space in exchange for the negligible difference in audio quality. Moreover, .aax will not download in ‘parts’, whereas .aa will. But I think this was also the case with Kindle Touch, which was the previous Kindle supporting Audible (but you seem to have one, so you can verify it yourself).

The steps are (assuming your Audible and Amazon accounts are linked):
- go to Library page on Audible.com
- select ‘Enhanced’ Audio Quality
- click Download link
- connect Kindle and drag .aax file to /audible folder
- eject from computer

One cavaet: the one side-loaded .aax I tried had noticeable distortion when played at 1.25x or higher speed (maybe even at 1x speed - I would need to repeat the experiment to verify). When I deleted it and downloaded wirelessly this distortion went away. I don’t know if this is an issue with the download in question or would if it would affect all downloaded books. Certainly if it is the latter, it should be brought to Audible’s attention that the issue exists, it should not be so. I don’t have any requirement to side-load .aax myself, as it is far more convenient to download wirelessly (and you can start listening right away).

I may experience with a different book later on.

Is there some reason you prefer side-loading instead of WiFi? Or using a Kindle instead of a smartphone?

First impressions: it works better than I had expected. I don’t know that I’ll be using it much, however.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-11-2017 at 11:19 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This is baffling to me, since I suspect most people would prefer to conserve space in exchange for the negligible difference in audio quality. Moreover, .aax will not download in ‘parts’, whereas .aa will.
I am assuming the one file vs multiple files (if that is what happens with 'parts' in .aa) is the reason that only .aax is supported. Since the Kindles are relatively slow it probably makes sense to have the file format that requires less cpu power to decode.

A partial download of an audiobook can be listened to right away after some of it is downloaded - IIRC it says something "ready to listen" after a while. So it is not necessary to wait for the download to finish. Downloading The Stand with 670 mb took quite a while when I was testing Audible out.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
vrf
Groupie
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
So how might one convert a bunch of MP3 episodes of Radio Lab to an AAX file to listen to on KO2? Is that sort of conversion even possible?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
Mavrique
Mavrique began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Is there some reason you prefer side-loading instead of WiFi? Or using a Kindle instead of a smartphone?

First impressions: it works better than I had expected. I don’t know that I’ll be using it much, however.
It's a long story which I won't go into now but I have a number of books from different sources all converted to MP3 so that I could listen to them on my phone and/or tablet. However I thought it might be nice to have all my books and audiobooks together on one device.

Having now bought the Oasis (at a brilliant knock-down price I might add ) I tried side-loading one of my other audiobooks (converted to aax) on to the device. Unfortunately although it recognises it it won't play it.
It basically says it can't play it as its not recognised as one of the books in my audible account.

Its a bit of a shame really because (like many of the community) I wanted to do the same as I do with my ebooks. i.e. use Calibre or some other library management tool to backup and manage my collection offline and then load the books I want to read (or listen to) when I'm ready.

Gutted! Unless anyone has any ideas about how to solve this little conundrum?
Mavrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert