Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-17-2020, 10:25 AM   #5311
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

I started off the year doing quite well. Through March, I didn’t buy many books and I was getting them read. Then the deluge. It’s tempting to blame the coronavirus; in fact, I think I will. The twin errors of too many books bought and at a time I was reading a lot of mindless junk. The latter’s the blame-it-on-Covid part.

But finally, this month, I had pulled myself together and hit the midway mark, patting myself on the back for no books bought and making some headway into the newly acquired TBR.

Yet now, keeping to my motif, Amazon has made me an offer I can’t refuse. One of those, “Here’s $5 to spend on your wishlist book” deals. I’m never going to get this PRH book more cheaply and I will read it in the very near future, so I’d be crazy not to take them up on it. But oh, I miss my late abstemiousness.
I think you're quite right to take them up on the free money offer.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #5312
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think you're quite right to take them up on the free money offer.
Thanks. Yeah. It would have been nuts not to. Well, like the sign in the hospital about how many days since a fall, tomorrow I can start over with one day without a purchase.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #5313
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks. Yeah. It would have been nuts not to. Well, like the sign in the hospital about how many days since a fall, tomorrow I can start over with one day without a purchase.
Couldn't resist...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	velociraptor_incidents.png
Views:	137
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	180722  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #5314
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Couldn't resist...
You don’t think that’s tempting fate?
Old 07-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #5315
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Couldn't resist...
I am skeptical that any workplace has persisted for 7 million years and that there have been any velociraptor incidents anywhere in less than 2 billion days.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #5316
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I am skeptical that any workplace has persisted for 7 million years and that there have been any velociraptor incidents anywhere in less than 2 billion days.
You'd better check the sign again. It's showing just under 26 billion days or just under 71 million years.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #5317
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You'd better check the sign again. It's showing just under 26 billion days or just under 71 million years.
My mistake. I failed to enter the second of the repeated 5's near the end of the number, so I withdraw the velociraptor objection. But I am even more skeptical that any workplace has endured 71 million years.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:32 PM   #5318
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
My mistake. I failed to enter the second of the repeated 5's near the end of the number, so I withdraw the velociraptor objection. But I am even more skeptical that any workplace has endured 71 million years.
Have you considered testing for Nichtlachen-Keinwortz Syndrome?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:23 PM   #5319
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I do buy a lot of books but it is very noticeably less that my old habats. I even deleted around 100 of my freebees I know I will never read
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:39 AM   #5320
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I just spent Actual Money – as opposed to gift card credit – on a book for the first time in at least a year, and even then my existing credit covered most of the cost.

The damage was 79¢ for Seanan McGuire’s In an Absent Dream, reduced from $9.99 to $2.99… presumably thanks to its status as a Hugo finalist. (It didn’t win.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:51 AM   #5321
Camellia
She / Her
Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Camellia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
"Don't buy any ebooks yet," I told myself when my Kindle arrived. "You have a 3 month trial of Kindle Unlimited, and a 2 month trial of Scribd, besides. You can resist!"

Well, no, I suppose I can't resist at all. I've bought 12 books one week. Two of them were omnibuses. That's ridiculous! I don't read that fast, and my Kindle Unlimited loans are maxed out, anyway!

Somebody, please, confiscate my purse!
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:08 AM   #5322
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
"Don't buy any ebooks yet," I told myself when my Kindle arrived. "You have a 3 month trial of Kindle Unlimited, and a 2 month trial of Scribd, besides. You can resist!"

Well, no, I suppose I can't resist at all. I've bought 12 books one week. Two of them were omnibuses. That's ridiculous! I don't read that fast, and my Kindle Unlimited loans are maxed out, anyway!

Somebody, please, confiscate my purse!
Welcome to the thread!

We’ve all been there. Some of us are still there. :cough:

Here’s a first thought, that I’m sure you’ve had already: there’s really no point at all in buying something that’s not on sale, if you’re not going to read it right away. Put the non-sale books into a wishlist and see what happens. Sometimes what happens is that you don’t want it after all, and that’s good, too!
Old 08-01-2020, 09:24 PM   #5323
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I am out of control and need to stop. Back in April I checked Amazon daily deals for the first time in several years. There were three books I wanted to read. I bought them and read them. No problem. But I couldn't stop checking the deals. Since then I've purchased 50 books and have read 26. I can read the remaining 24...if I stop looking for deals. But browsing is so much fun, especially during this pandemic when staying in is not much fun.

Back in the glory days of Kobo coupons, BooksonBoard, Fictionwise, and, of course, Kindle daily deals I had a great time looking for deals and still have a TBR of 831 books. My tastes have changed and many of these books I will never read. The last several years I've purchased books, often at full price, that I read immediately and so did not add to the TBR.

I don't regret the books I have purchased in this latest binge. I've enjoyed many books that I may never have purchased otherwise. But it is time to stop. Help!
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #5324
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I still check the daily deals as part of my morning routine, but these days I very rarely actually buy anything. I mean, if I really wanted it, it should already be on my wishlist. (I also check the prices of all my wishlist books every day.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #5325
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
(I also check the prices of all my wishlist books every day.)
ereaderiq.com can help with price drops. You list your books and your desired price and the site notifies you when there's a price drop.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote