Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-22-2024, 02:52 PM   #1
jist
Enthusiast
jist began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Note Lite - Win10
Question Is it possible to retrieve genre tags?

Books can be categorised in genres such as e.g.:

Fiction
Nonfiction
Arts & Music
Biography
Computers & Tech
Cookbook
Detective and Mystery
Edu & Reference
Fantasy
Health & Fitness
Historical fiction
etc. etc.

If I am not mistaken, Calibre does not accommodate for genres by default, but you can create a hierarchy for it yourself.
(I should be able to find out how to do that)

But, I am not enthusiastic about the idea that I will need to add such genres manually for each and every book myself.

My question:
Are there providers that Calibre can source tags from that provide such genres/categories?
If so, which provider(s), and are there plugins that make it possible to retrieve and write them?

TIA!
jist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:10 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
See metadata downloading in Editing e-book metadata. See also the Metadata download plugins == Index of plugins.

The column you want is "Tags/tags", it works like music tagging - a Tag exists because it's used (i.e. assigned to a book), from then on it can be applied to other books. If a Tag is removed from all books to which it has been applied it is removed - i.e. use it or lose it.

There is no specific support to create or download a pre-defined list (e.g. from a library), into a taxonomy definition similar to the Controlled Vocabulary for IPTC Keywords… more's the pity.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-22-2024 at 10:34 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2024, 03:39 AM   #3
jist
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
See also the Metadata download plugins == Index of plugins.
Thanks BetterRed.
Could you (or somebody else) recommend one or two plugins that are good at retrieving genres?
Old 03-23-2024, 04:37 AM   #4
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jist View Post
Thanks BetterRed.
Could you (or somebody else) recommend one or two plugins that are good at retrieving genres?
I disabled the automatic download of tags because you get a bunch of inconsistent junk.

There's also this system of national libraries - forgot the name - but even that I find difficult.
It's a third-party system, sometimes too granular, sometimes the opposite and sometimes complete nonsense.

Long story short, I want to keep control without wasting too much time in corrections.

But some standard Metadata PIs are e.g. Goodreads and Amazon
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:05 AM   #5
jist
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
I disabled the automatic download of tags because you get a bunch of inconsistent junk.

But some standard Metadata PIs are e.g. Goodreads and Amazon
Thanks Wiggo, I guess I have some testing and setting up things ahead of me ;-)
Advert
Old 03-23-2024, 10:50 AM   #6
jist
Enthusiast

Looking for more information about how to handle 'genres' I found a post by member 'Firehose'.
It (perfectly) explains a system that seems to work very well.

So I would suggest other users that are also interested in this to check it out:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=359681
Old 03-23-2024, 05:08 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
For cleaning up the tags after download I would take a look at builtin Tag Mapper (you may need to add it to a menu with Preferences > Toolbars & Menus). It's not very well-documented though.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:21 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
One of the things about Calibre, is it only save 1 instance of a tag, no matter how many MAPPER items set it. So map away on variations or redundancies
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2024, 05:27 PM   #9
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Also, for regexp in Tag Mapper or Search & Replace, it's very much worth it to learn regex. Regex101 is an excellent site for testing - make sure to switch to Python because there's some slight variations of languages that might affect things.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 02:11 PM   #10
jist
Enthusiast

@ ownedbycats & theducks

I have a hard time understanding how your posts relate to what I am asking for and what this topic is about.
Could you clarify?
Old 03-24-2024, 04:19 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Say the book has overloaded the tags with essential the same thing
The goal in this case: Science Fiction

so we use the mapper to change any of the below :
SF
SciFi
Sci Fi
Science Fiction and Fantasy
Science Fiction & Fantasy

... (and all the case permutations of the above )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
category, genre, hierarchy