Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-19-2024, 06:15 PM   #1
notdog
notdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Mac laptop
Full text search database location on macOS

I'm about to create a full text search database for a library of about 6,000 titles. I imagine it could get pretty big, so I'd like to know where to find it if I decide to delete it. Can someone tell me where the database will be?

Also, I've read that there is an option for fast indexing. How does that compare to standard indexing in the size of the database and its utility? I looked in the manual but saw just a short paragraph on full text searches. If there's more material I should read for using the full text searches and management of the database, I'm happy to do that if someone can point me to it.
notdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 06:23 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by notdog View Post
I'm about to create a full text search database for a library of about 6,000 titles. I imagine it could get pretty big, so I'd like to know where to find it if I decide to delete it. Can someone tell me where the database will be?
In the library folder… full-text-search.db

Quote:
Also, I've read that there is an option for fast indexing. How does that compare to standard indexing in the size of the database and its utility? I looked in the manual but saw just a short paragraph on full text searches. If there's more material I should read for using the full text searches and management of the database, I'm happy to do that if someone can point me to it.
Not heard of 'fast indexing'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2024, 06:41 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
On my Windows machine, the fast option increases the indexing speed by using more of the system resources (CPU, RAM, disk) but the generated index is the same. I used fast when I first indexed my library and got to hear the cooling fans get louder.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 07:34 PM   #4
notdog
notdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the endnotdog knows the complete value of PI to the end

Thank you both! I've started the slow index and it hasn't bumped up the fan speed, from what I can tell.
Old 03-19-2024, 07:46 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thank you both! I've started the slow index and it hasn't bumped up the fan speed, from what I can tell.
The only reason I went for fast indexing was curiosity about how long it would take to generate the full text index for ~13,000 ebooks. I ran a little file that got the cpu usage every 10 seconds and wrote it to a text file. Basically, I assumed that when the CPU use dropped back to resting, the indexing was done.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2024, 11:07 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Fast and slow indexes are functionally identical in size and capabilities. The only difference is how long and how many resources are taken to generate them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM   #7
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
When first indexing my main library, I left system awake overnight with Calibre running it at fast mode. IIRC, it took like 14 hours at most to index a very diverse library containing some very long documents/books (70k+). After this initial indexing, I've switched indexing speed to slow and it's been working smoothly ever-since.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 03-20-2024 at 09:04 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:45 PM   #8
notdog

The laptop has been in slow mode for about a day and Calibre has gotten about 81% done. The database is about 6.5GB; I expect it to finish well under 10GB.

I'd thought my book collection on the large side. How wrong I was!
Old 03-20-2024, 08:54 PM   #9
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
how about 82.5GB
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote