Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Spiller
Spiller began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Help!!

Hello there

I received a lovely PRS-505 for Christmas. Initially it worked a treat, but I am now experiencing problems. I have tried to read through previous threads and cannot find the answers!!

Firstly - after initially downloading the disc that came with my e-book, I decided to buy a couple of books to download, but my reader will not now connect to the computer via the usb lead. It just says ERROR, doesnt specify what error and I am getting really frustrated!!

Secondly - my reader will not switch off at all. I can shut it down via the menu, and it will restart eventually.

Thirdly - I seem to have managed to download some pictures, I have 17 pictures, which I cannot delete it seems. They are book covers, I guess that happened when I tried to download the 2 books I purchased.

One more thing - I cannot delete a bookmark, it thinks I am reading a Mills & Boon novel (haha) and directs me to this book. To find the actual book I am reading, I have to go via the book menu list.

I am worried I have corrupted something but am so not technically minded and am so disappointed. I hadnt even heard of an e-book until I openend my gift yesterday morning, I love it, I just want it to work!!!

Thanks in anticipation xxx
Spiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
Have you tried a hard reset on the 505? Have you tried charging it overnight? It sounds like you might have possibly?? used up quite a bit of memory by putting those pics on there?
Sometimes I have a problem connecting to the Sony software too, so I just reboot my computer.
Look around the forum here, you will find some very helpful info
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Spiller

Hi - thanks for your reply. I have reset and charged it - I have managed to delete the pictures, and some how managed to download the two books I purchsed too. Only problem I have now is it still wont switch off - so off to the Sony shop tomorrow!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #4
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
How you are switching it off, I usually slide power switch on top left and it turns off, are you doing it that way or?
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Spiller

Yes I am using the power switch top left - which is not working. I can however turn it on using the power switch after shutting it down via the settings menu. Its not holding a charge either. So Im currently having to connect it to the computer via the usb daily (even though it says error and is not recognised in the ebook library!!) it does charge up that way. I am taking it back to Sony today, so hoping they exchange it for me!! I have read my first book yesterday and love it, its an amazing piece of kit!
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
Hi Spiller,
i got this problem th efirst time, when I downloaded the ebook library from the sony website.
first - deinstall this program via control-panel. than run the disk again and install all the progs new.
charge your reader for at least 4 hours and when the red led is out, access the program via the e-book library icon.
After i did that, the reader was accessible in the program (but i still cant access the sony e-library via internet) and i could load books on to my reader and delete things i don't need on it.

hope to give some help

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Spiller

Hi Harry - thanks for your reply. I am currently waiting for a call from my local Sony shop to say the ebook is in stock, and they are going to swap it for a new one for me!! The off button top left is still not working, the battery doesnt last long at all, but I have managed to sort out a few of the other gremlins. Its frustrating, i want to read, but its currently charging via the usb AGAIN!! It appears i cannot read and charge at the same time,so going to get a charger for it . Just hoping the new one behaves, and i can read when i like and not when the damn thing dictates it!!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
Hi Spiller,

thats right - you can not charge over the usb and use the reader at the same time.
sometimes (thats what i read here) if you are using the sony usb cable that came with the reader, you can not charge it if the e-library soft from sony is not on that computer.
the best is, if you buy a usb-charger cable for the psp, that has two "heads" - one mini usb and one plug for the charging hole in the reader.
i just bought a cheap third company charger for the reader on ebay. was only 11 bucks shipped to nyc.

good luck with your reader

harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Spiller

I now have a brand new and fully functioning reader!!! It is an absolute pleasure!!

Thanks for your time in replying to me :-) xx