Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 01-23-2023, 12:01 AM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That said, my control freak rants do NOT trump availability concerns. NTX via Tolino is far from the worse OEM you could think of for an Android device... And, as I can sadly attest to, that board was very much engineered with an Android-first goal in mind...

Like I mentioned above, it *is* pretty nice hardware.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:57 AM   #62
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Well, can you simplify it for me, would koreader work well on it, things like basic reading, etc. I really don't know how bad things are on coding side of things, but from user's perspective, if I can read a book without many bugs and problems, I'm fine.

I know that everything can have bugs, I sometimes even have a feeling that some devices are alive and have own feelings (sometimes they are just not in the mood to do what I would expect of them to do).

So, if it can be used as a nice koreader device, when it comes time for me getting new ebook reader, I might consider it. From what I see, there's a lot of problems with latest kobo devices, so, I guess no one is perfect.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2023, 09:55 AM   #63
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
The reading configuration is the same on a Tolino Vision 6 as on any other device. KOReader runs smoothly, it is fast and fluid. For reading there are no problems at all.

In my particular case the lack of control over the screen refresh is the main reason for not using KOReader on the Tolino Vision 6 (although you can install applications to do it) because I am very fussy in that aspect, but I recognise that the quality of the screen is excellent and a normal user will not notice the difference.

Another negative aspect is the battery life, which is very poor. But this also depends on the personal assessment of each user.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:32 AM   #64
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is a homemade video to give you an idea of how KOReader works on the Tolino Vision 6.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wu3...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 01-24-2023, 10:16 PM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I mentioned this upthread, but it is easy to install KOReader on PocketBook, and it runs fine. It ran a little faster when I had it on my Oasis (which I no longer have), but it is more integrated with things on my Pocketbook Era.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2023, 07:10 PM   #66
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Another negative aspect is the battery life, which is very poor. But this also depends on the personal assessment of each user.
Thank you very much for video, from looking it, it really works great, I don't see any problems, and it flies compared to my kobo (not that I complain too much in that respect).

About battery, how long it lasts? I get about 5-7 days of reading on Aura ONE, and double that on Aura H2O (the old version, not new). So, let's say it's a week of reading, which is fine, but it was better with H20.

Last edited by Alan_S; 01-25-2023 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 02:41 AM   #67
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
Thank you very much for video, from looking it, it really works great, I don't see any problems, and it flies compared to my kobo (not that I complain too much in that respect).

About battery, how long it lasts? I get about 5-7 days of reading on Aura ONE, and double that on Aura H2O (the old version, not new). So, let's say it's a week of reading, which is fine, but it was better with H20.
I use it with AlReaderX and the battery lasts about 8% per hour. With KOReader I haven't tried it much, but I get the impression that the battery life is shorter (maybe 10% per hour?). In either case it seems very bad to me.

On the positive side is the quality of the screen, which is really impressive, the price (I got it in an Amazon offer for 115 €) and the autonomy offered by Android (not everything is going to be negative in Android): it allows me to have in the same device the two reading programs I like the most (AlReaderX and KOReader) and to have a very varied set of utilities (dictionaries, translators, file organisers, easy sending of books and files, cloud storage...). In the end, it all depends on what you value most.

Personally, if I had to choose just one device, the Tolino Vision 6 would not be my choice. And for exclusive use of KOReader it wouldn't be one of the current Kobo devices either. As I have already said on other occasions I prefer PocketBook devices (in this respect I have a completely opposite opinion to the one offered by the KOReader developers). But it is a matter of personal taste.
Old 01-26-2023, 06:38 AM   #68
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I use it with AlReaderX and the battery lasts about 8% per hour. With KOReader I haven't tried it much, but I get the impression that the battery life is shorter (maybe 10% per hour?). In either case it seems very bad to me.

On the positive side is the quality of the screen, which is really impressive, the price (I got it in an Amazon offer for 115 €) and the autonomy offered by Android (not everything is going to be negative in Android): it allows me to have in the same device the two reading programs I like the most (AlReaderX and KOReader) and to have a very varied set of utilities (dictionaries, translators, file organisers, easy sending of books and files, cloud storage...). In the end, it all depends on what you value most.

Personally, if I had to choose just one device, the Tolino Vision 6 would not be my choice. And for exclusive use of KOReader it wouldn't be one of the current Kobo devices either. As I have already said on other occasions I prefer PocketBook devices (in this respect I have a completely opposite opinion to the one offered by the KOReader developers). But it is a matter of personal taste.
Is there a way to use Goldendict/aard2 to look up words in a reading app that allows control of the screen refresh? I'm assuming Alreader X doesn't allow that either?

Battery life on the Libra 2 is also significantly worse using Koreader compared to the native software..
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:42 AM   #69
yurislife
yurislife began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 2014
Quote:

8% battery drain on stock configuration sounds suspiciously high, comparable to Kobo Sage prior to firmware updates, that is, quite poor. Do you leave wifi enabled all the time by any chance?
yurislife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:25 AM   #70
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Is there a way to use Goldendict/aard2 to look up words in a reading app that allows control of the screen refresh? I'm assuming Alreader X doesn't allow that either?

Battery life on the Libra 2 is also significantly worse using Koreader compared to the native software..
AlReaderX has incorporated in its latest versions a mode to force the screen refresh, in principle compatible with any device (the minimum is every 5 pages). In my opinion it is too abrupt and I don't use it, but it works on Tolino devices.

Goldendict and Aard2 refresh the screen when you scroll the screen (it also happens when you scroll through the AlReaderX configuration menus, in fact this is the option I use when I want to refresh the screen).

I think the only reading application that allows screen refresh is Tolino's own, with which you can't directly open Goldendict/Aard 2. (I use them in a hidden drop-down bar, but you have to enter the word to search for manually). There is an older version of AlReader (without X) that allowed screen refresh on Tolino devices, but I don't know if it works on the latest devices. Maybe someone else can tell you.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:41 AM   #71
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurislife View Post
8% battery drain on stock configuration sounds suspiciously high, comparable to Kobo Sage prior to firmware updates, that is, quite poor. Do you leave wifi enabled all the time by any chance?
Wi-Fi off. It is possible that I have a faulty device, but I am inclined to think that this is more a generalised feature of the latest Tolino devices. In any case such poor battery life (compared to other e-readers) is either a problem or not depending on the user. I am simply pointing it out.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:42 AM   #72
Alan_S
Evangelist

This does sound like a really bad battery life, and it isn't that much important if it's 8% or 10%. Not sure what is going on, but it's almost like a regular tablet, and not e-ink device.

But, your info is very helpful.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:37 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's the expected battery drain for a B300 SoC that does *not* enter standby properly, FWIW.

(i.e., if this were not an Android device (i.e., the Sage/Elipsa, or the Libra 2, which is an NXP SoC but has terrible PM for some reason), enabling Autostandby in KOReader would "fix" it to a more sensible (still relatively bad, but much "better") power drain).
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:15 AM   #74
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
AlReaderX has incorporated in its latest versions a mode to force the screen refresh, in principle compatible with any device (the minimum is every 5 pages). In my opinion it is too abrupt and I don't use it, but it works on Tolino devices.

Goldendict and Aard2 refresh the screen when you scroll the screen (it also happens when you scroll through the AlReaderX configuration menus, in fact this is the option I use when I want to refresh the screen).

I think the only reading application that allows screen refresh is Tolino's own, with which you can't directly open Goldendict/Aard 2. (I use them in a hidden drop-down bar, but you have to enter the word to search for manually). There is an older version of AlReader (without X) that allowed screen refresh on Tolino devices, but I don't know if it works on the latest devices. Maybe someone else can tell you.
Then I definitively won't be getting a tolino device. I find it annoying enough that there's no reader that has a refresh option on my Hisense A9. It would be a dream to be able to use koreader or alreader x on it fully, but no.

I tried the forced refresh every 5 pages. It made the text look worse afterwards.

I just hope somebody'll write a driver for Hisense A9 in koreader. I don't know how likely that is, however. Seeing as root will probably never happen I'm not holding my breath.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:09 AM   #75
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Then I definitively won't be getting a tolino device. I find it annoying enough that there's no reader that has a refresh option on my Hisense A9. It would be a dream to be able to use koreader or alreader x on it fully, but no.
More advanced users have associated a screen refresh application to the page turning keys on the Tolino Vision 6, as well as to other settings (thanks @Waldy). I leave the link (in the original German) in case it would be of interest to anyone.

Beitrag im Thema 'Tolino Vision 6' https://forum.alles-ebook.de/threads...467/post-91068

(To access the links I think you have to register).