Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Page remaining bug

When I have the page number display to show the pages remaining, the last page shows -0/XXX. There is no such thing as a negative 0. Can this please be fixed so the last page is shown as -1/XXX? Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:44 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Before another maths-inclined programmer jumps down your throat: yes, there is such a sign as a signed zero .

But, no, it doesn't make sense in this context ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Before another maths-inclined programmer jumps down your throat: yes, there is such a sign as a signed zero .

But, no, it doesn't make sense in this context ^^.
Is this an easy fix (I hope)?
Old 06-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't think of a great way to handle this, though, because we can't just remove the hyphen, as that risks confusion with the page progress widget...
Old 06-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Short of actually using another glyph entirely than a hyphen as a prefix? (But which one ^^).
Advert
Old 06-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I'm not asking to show 0/XXX. I'm asking for -1/XXX for the last page in the eBook.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You already know that's going be a no, because it makes even less sense (but nice try ;p).
Old 06-05-2021, 04:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
You already know that's going be a no, because it makes even less sense (but nice try ;p).
It makes very good sense. 1 means I am on the last page. I am displaying the last page. 0 means nothing and I am not displaying nothing. I am displaying the last page. So that's 1.

The best thing to do would be to have the last pages be 1 or 0 with an option. I see no reason not to have such an option.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Just a thought; if you are on the last page of a chapter, there are no more pages in that chapter. There is not one more till the end. As an indicator of how many pages are left to reach the end of the the chapter, zero makes a lot of sense. As a means to establish how many pages to go until a good point to take a break, get some refreshments, take care of some other business, ect..., the current approach seems fine, to me.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; Is this your second thread on this? (Might be thinking of a Github issue.)
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Ken Maltby: Exactly (and, yes ^^).

In fact, with the other "in chapter progress" FR implemented in https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/7807, it becomes even clearer when you show the two widgets:

On a 10-page chapter, you go from 1 // 10 (=> 9) to 10 // 10 (=> 0). Remaining is *always* equal to total - pagenum (i.e., it's what's off-screen).
Old 06-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Just a thought; if you are on the last page of a chapter, there are no more pages in that chapter. There is not one more till the end. As an indicator of how many pages are left to reach the end of the the chapter, zero makes a lot of sense. As a means to establish how many pages to go until a good point to take a break, get some refreshments, take care of some other business, ect..., the current approach seems fine, to me.

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; Is this your second thread on this? (Might be thinking of a Github issue.)
But, when you see that you have 10 pages left in the chapter, that's incorrect because you really have 11 pages to read. So you think you have to read 10 pages to finish the chapter but it's really 11. That's misleading.

Now, what is wrong with an option to allow page numbers to be done either way? Nothing at all. So I don't see why there is such reluctance to add in such an option. So if you want it as page 1 or page 0, you get what you want.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, when you see that you have 10 pages left in the chapter, that's incorrect because you really have 11 pages to read. So you think you have to read 10 pages to finish the chapter but it's really 11. That's misleading.
I see the footer when I finish reading the page, by then I have already read the page on display and I have indeed 10 left to read. When I page forward, I don't care what the footer says, my eyes go to the top of the page and only after reading the page I see the footer, and it says 9 pages left.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I see the footer when I finish reading the page, by then I have already read the page on display and I have indeed 10 left to read. When I page forward, I don't care what the footer says, my eyes go to the top of the page and only after reading the page I see the footer, and it says 9 pages left.
I do look at the number of pages left in a chapter when I get to a new chapter before I read any of it. The problem is that the number is incorrect. If the chapter is 10 pages, it will show as 9 instead of 10. When I see the number, I have 10 pages to read, not 9.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:53 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
On the other hand, the last page of the chapter may be just 4-5 lines long, and the first page probably has a title that takes that much space. So over all, the count might be even more correct than if you add 1
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:55 AM   #15
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
To add to the confusion: Some books don't have a page break for a new chapter. A new chapter may begin in the middle of a page. Koreader then tells me I have 0 pages left when I'm on the last full page of the chapter, i.e. I have another half page on average to go. It would be much better in this situation if the 0 is shown on the page of the chapter break.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote