Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-23-2021, 11:21 AM   #1
pbrouty
pbrouty began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox
Koreader not responding

After last update for May 2021.
Using Onyx boox Poke 2. When I turn off the screen while Koreader is open, and then turn it back on after about 20 seconds, Koreader doesn't respond to touches and will give an error message "Koreader not responding. Wait or Close"
pbrouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrouty View Post
After last update for May 2021.
Using Onyx boox Poke 2. When I turn off the screen while Koreader is open, and then turn it back on after about 20 seconds, Koreader doesn't respond to touches and will give an error message "Koreader not responding. Wait or Close"
Try to reproduce the bug in the last nightly (link).

If you're using the F-droid version you need to uninstall the APK before install the new one.

If you can still reproduce the issue then:

1. Press close on the dialog.
2. Open the app again from your launcher
3. Go to Hamburguer menu -> Help -> Report a bug.

You'll see a message "attach log /path/to/log". Copy that file (it is always inside the koreader folder) here.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
pbrouty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Try to reproduce the bug in the last nightly (link).

If you're using the F-droid version you need to uninstall the APK before install the new one.

If you can still reproduce the issue then:

1. Press close on the dialog.
2. Open the app again from your launcher
3. Go to Hamburguer menu -> Help -> Report a bug.

You'll see a message "attach log /path/to/log". Copy that file (it is always inside the koreader folder) here.
Thank you. Attached is the log file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip crash.log.zip (13.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 05-23-2021, 03:33 PM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you. Attached is the log file.
Thanks for the logs. You're the first crashlog reporter on android (The feature was added yesterday)

Sadly this isn't a "normal" ANR and I don't see anything relevant on logs.

The message
Code:
05-23 20:52:18.852 15569 15574 I reader.launche: Thread[2,tid=15574,WaitingInMainSignalCatcherLoop,Thread*=0xeb908000,peer=0x17140190,"Signal Catcher"]: reacting to signal 3
Is the VM reacting to SIGQUIT (which happens when you press "close" on the ANR dialog) but there's no reason there that could explain why android thinks the app is not responding.

I did notice there are a few seconds between the app is paused and the framework label it as not responding. That suggests an issue in ON_STOP. In that case reverting https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/7630 could work.
Old 05-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro

Does this version still crashes the same way?: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zxi0wuxlp...-test.apk?dl=0

Please do the usual dance: uninstall APK, install new, confirm bug, attach log.
Advert
Old 05-23-2021, 05:03 PM   #6
pbrouty

This version (test) is working. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2021, 05:32 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pazos: Re-reading the issue and what you said there about STOP, can we actually run Lua code after that event, or will Android say "nope, I'm freezing that activity", hence the potential ANR?

(Looking at the handlers, it's mostly I/O and task (un)scheduling, but code nonetheless ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:05 AM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@pazos: Re-reading the issue and what you said there about STOP, can we actually run Lua code after that event, or will Android say "nope, I'm freezing that activity", hence the potential ANR?

(Looking at the handlers, it's mostly I/O and task (un)scheduling, but code nonetheless ^^).
The thread with the LuaJIT instance should be ready to execute chunks of lua when the activity is stopped. Anything network related or window related will fail when the activity isn't in the foreground.

Not very familiar with UIManager, but it looks that both "Suspend" and "Resume" are no-op in Android, so I guess we can remove them: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ua#L1761-L1772.

If they're doing something we can broadcast them onResume/onPause instead onStart/onStop.

onStop callback isn't very reliable and most devices never reach that state unless we request an explicit destroy using finish()
Old 05-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pazos: The actual power event are no-ops, yeah (as in, we can't *trigger* a suspend, or *catch* say, a power button press that would have tripped one). But the "messaging" Events are platform-agnostic .

So yeah, moving them to resume/pause instead was also the best idea I could come up with ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 04:25 AM   #10
pbrouty

Will the fix be included in a future nightly build or in the next stable release?
Thanks for all your work on this great ereader.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:26 AM   #11
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Will the fix be included in a future nightly build or in the next stable release?
Thanks for all your work on this great ereader.

Yup. Probably tomorrow nightly: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/7753. You'll need to uninstall the test APK before installing the official one.

Please give feedback because that bug cannot be reproduced outside Onyx Boox and the workaround is slightly different than the test version you tried.
Old 05-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #12
pbrouty

OK, thanks. I know what you mean. I did not receive this error on my other two android devices (Lenovo tablet, Xiaomi phone); only on my Onyx Boox (which is my primary reader).
Thanks again for your work. I'll report back after giving it a test run.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #13
pbrouty

I installed the latest nightly (47) and it's working well on the Poke 2. Thanks
Old 05-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #14
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
I installed the latest nightly (47) and it's working well on the Poke 2. Thanks
Great!. Thanks for the feedback
Old 06-18-2021, 01:11 PM   #15
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Exclamation

The problem still exists on 2021.05-85.

Onyx Poke2

Edit: Also on 2021.05-90. Crash after sleep.

Last edited by Winkelschraube; 06-18-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote