Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-10-2020, 02:57 AM   #1
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
Question Lightweight e-book reader for KOReader

Hello, I have a KPW2 with KOReader , I would like to buy a light weight e-bookreader. With automatic light and preferably not over 6 inches.

What can you recommend?
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I believe people are generally happy with the Kobo Clara HD.
Frenzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's getting a bit long in the tooth (as in, the next model to be refreshed by Kobo [after the Nia] will either be the Clara or the Forma), but, essentially, if you're that keen on the 6" form factor, yeah .
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:39 AM   #4
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
No automatic light I believe(unless you mean built-in light/backlight), but I'm really happy with Kobo Clara HD, after upgrading from Kindle Paperwhite 3.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:28 AM   #5
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Smile

Hello, thanks for your answers. I am not fixated on 6 inches, 5 inches would be fine too. It would also be lighter. The Kobo Clara HD looks good.

But couldn't it be lighter, 100g or so? Isn't there anything? I still have an old Kindle 4 NT with about 150g weight, that is much more comfortable to read.

The ravages of time are right, I wait maybe half a year or so for the new version and then I buy either the new model or the cheaper Clara HD.

I read something about the Kobo, is it a simple relatively open Linux machine where I can just run my own bashscripts or Python on it? Do I understand this correctly?
Advert
Old 07-15-2020, 06:02 AM   #6
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open enough with some minor hacks, yes. Not open open but an awful lot more open than Kindle.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #7
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Nice nice.. olry very nice. 1,5 x open is not bad.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The new Pocketbook Touch Lux 4 is 155g

I have no knowledge of how good it as as en ereader though.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #9
Frenzie
Wizard

I'm sure it's fine, but if you're looking for something to use with KOReader specifically then Pocketbooks are probably not the best choice.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
I'm sure it's fine, but if you're looking for something to use with KOReader specifically then Pocketbooks are probably not the best choice.
Kobo is also a good choice. If you want a Reader with a 7" or 8" screen, there is no Pocketbook for that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:08 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The Onyx Poke is extremely light, and will run Koreader. However, it is more money, and I suspect the screen contrast is not quite as good as the Kobo, though I might be wrong. And the battery life is nowhere near as long. It's open Android, so it does more, but less battery life, and it's lighter probably because of a small battery. The orange light on the Onyx is also redder (therefore better IMO). However, I doubt Koreader will run as well as on a kobo, though it does run. But you can run lots of other ebook apps on it.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 07-15-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
I use KOReader on various 6" devices (300 dpi. and color temperature adjustment). On my scale this is the weight of each one: Onyx Boox Poke 2: 148 gr.; PocketBook Touch HD 3: 157 gr.; Kobo Clara HD: 164 gr.; Tolino Shine 3: 165 gr ; InkBook Prime HD: 172 gr.
cellaris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:04 AM   #13
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Smile

It looks like the forum has eaten my post.

I said that the Poke 2 looks very good. Since it is a tablet (with eink), how good is it for reading? Does KOreader run perfectly on it? How is the font comparison between Clara HD and the Poke 2?
Old 07-16-2020, 04:03 AM   #14
Frenzie
Wizard

While KOReader actually runs about as well as on Kobo on some Android E Ink devices, Onyx is not one of those.

The program should run well enough, but without any special support for E Ink screen updates, which is unfortunately not a standard Android thing but something (often badly) tacked on by various vendors.

But aside from KOReader specifically, non-developer people generally seem fairly happy with Onyx devices.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:07 AM   #15
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

I wait some months, maybe there will be a new Kobo HD with 6 inch or the Poke 2 works with KOReader.