Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #226
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
You know you can re-define those font sizes and get desired number of lines (as a side-effect of smaller font size) using "FONT_RAMP" file? On any firmware newer than 5.5.x.

With a caveat that FONT_RAMP remapping is in effect only for books in KF8/azw3 format.

All in all your question needs more details: 22 or 23 "lines" with what line spacing, margin, boldness settings? Even with that extra info keep in mind that it will still vary between different book formats and CSS style used (line-height property value).
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #227
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's a super easy question: open a book and try to display 22 lines with font Bookerly. It's impossible to have it with a previous firmware. That's all I'm asking.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #228
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
It's a super easy question: open a book and try to display 22 lines with font Bookerly. It's impossible to have it with a previous firmware. That's all I'm asking.
At what font size?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:54 PM   #229
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Do you mean exactly 22 or at least 22 lines?

The new firmware can display Bookerly with many more lines than that per page, even on an old PW2. I find it extremely hard to believe that the previous firmware couldn't go that small. Perhaps you are not using the smallest line height adjustment.

Last edited by jhowell; 10-27-2017 at 01:01 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #230
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

My question is for 22.
Advert
Old 10-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #231
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The answer is also super easy: it depends / yes, sometimes.

My PW3 (with settings I prefer) for current book (which is in azw3 format & line-height: 1; ) displays 32 lines of text.

I'm really curious, what's up with magical number 22?

Last edited by shamanNS; 10-27-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #232
Pyjam
Zealot

Old 10-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #233
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
See rashkae's comments above. If your device is configured properly, converting from mobi to AZW3 will produce the boldness slider. No reason to go through the procedure I'd told you about.

Jim
I converted a couple of books to AZW3 and now have the boldness slider but have lost the covers. I tried adding them as jpegs but they're not showing up.

And is it really true that I can't ever add these to my amazon content as kindle docs in this format? It's just such a chore, and I don't want to have to do it all again when I get my Oasis.

I tried making sure I downloaded bigger cover images this time (the biggest I could find was 733 x 1200 though, so I'm not sure that is big enough and I can't remember what was mentioned as a minimum size). I named the jpeg the same as the azw.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #234
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found it: 1200 x 1800, thanks to Josieb1 from the other thread. Going to try resizing and see if it works.

Last edited by Pjama; 10-27-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #235
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I found it: 1200 x 1800, thanks to Josie1b from the other thread. Going to try resizing and see if it works.
And, lo and behold, it didn't work. So I can have either the bolding options with no cover, or the cover with no bolding options.

Has anyone managed to get both?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #236
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@Pjama-
If you side-load your AZW3 from Calibre you can have both covers and boldness slider as well as hyphens (if you want them). I have not found a way to accomplish this when sending through Amazon.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #237
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are several factors at play.

In order to have the boldness slider you need a book in KF8 (azw3) or KFX format.

In order for the kindle to extract the cover thumbnail image for a sideloaded book it needs to be in original MOBI (azw) format.

You can get the kindle to display a thumbnail for a sideloaded book in KF8 or KFX format, but only if it marked as an e-book (cdetype=EBOK) and not a personal document (cdetype not set or cdetype=PDOC). In that case if the ASIN of the book matches that of a kindle book for sale then you will get that cover thumbnail. Otherwise you can sideload your own thumbnail image if you put it in the right place ("system/thumbnails" directory) with the right name. Both calibre and the ExtractCoverThumbs program have the ability to do this.

If you want to send a book that was not purchased from Amazon to your account so that it will sync between multiple devices you have two choices. You can use the old MOBI format giving cover thumbnails but not the boldness slider. Or use the Master MOBI format (combined MOBI and KF8 in one file -- called "both" by calibre). This will download to the kindle as a PDOC in KF8 format giving the boldness slider but not cover thumbnails.

Besides cover thumbnails and boldness, the format you choose (MOBI, KF8 or KFX) can impact the quality of the e-book rendering. MOBI is the least capable (but still sufficient for most novels), KF8 is better, and KFX supports enhanced typesetting.

(cdetype and ASIN are two internal metadata fields in Amazon's file formats.)

Last edited by jhowell; 10-27-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #238
shamanNS
Guru

@jhowell: What would happen if you tweak CDE-Type / field 501 for that KF8 PDOC file post-download?

I don't have a computer nearby to check.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #239
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@jhowell: What would happen if you tweak CDE-Type / field 501 for that KF8 PDOC file post-download?

I don't have a computer nearby to check.
I haven't tested it, but logically it should then allow a cover thumbnail to be set while losing the ability to sync reading position and annotations. (The cdetype and ASIN combined form the "key" for the book.)

Last edited by jhowell; 10-27-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #240
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
More than one way, different combinations.

here are 2

bookerly-size 2-largest spacing no bold (22) lines

bookerly-size 5-smallest spacing no bold(22) lines

there are prolly other combos once you use the bold and playing with size and spacing.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font_ramp