Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Right edge indent problem with mobi/Kindle?

I'm trying to figure out if I'm not coding something right, if something is getting lost in the conversion process or if I've just run into a quirk of the Amazon Kindle or the mobi format itself.

I have a book that has a chapter of which a small portion is the text of a letter from one friend to another. The bulk of the text in the chapter is "normal" width lines of justified text. The letter section is left and right indented a small bit to set it apart and the paragraphs are plain left aligned, not justified. When I look at the output on a Kindle or on the Kindle Previewer, the bulk of the chapter, the justified text, looks as it should. The left margin of the letter is fine as well. It's indented more, in relation to the rest of the chapter, as I want it to be. The right edge however, is where I run into a problem. It is not indented and appears to be justified text and lines right up with the rest of the chapter.

I create my ebooks using Sigil and then use Calibre to convert to mobi for use on my Kindle. The epub version seems to work in every respect and looks exactly like I want it to. It's only the mobi version that I seem to be having a problem with the right edge.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Kindle automatically justifies text. There's a setting to turn it off for K1 and K3 devices, I think.

I used to think it ignored any markup/styling in the actual file which tried to tell it not to justify, but I've recently gotten an ePub book which amazingly, converts with ragged-right text and I'm in the process of deconstructing it to find out how it does that.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
The left margin of the letter is fine as well. It's indented more, in relation to the rest of the chapter, as I want it to be. The right edge however, is where I run into a problem. It is not indented and appears to be justified text and lines right up with the rest of the chapter.
That's how blockquotes work in Mobipocket, you get left margin and no right margin. As far as I know, there's no way to get right margin. Mobipocket is a simple format, learn to live with it.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #4
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
That's how blockquotes work in Mobipocket, you get left margin and no right margin. As far as I know, there's no way to get right margin. Mobipocket is a simple format, learn to live with it.
Oh, I have no problem living with it, assuming I "know" that's how it worked. I just wanted to make certain that it was, in fact, a mobi or a Kindle issue and that I wasn't doing something wrong.

I'm not going to stress too much over it. If the problem was me though, I wanted to fix it rather than assume it was a format issue.

Thanks for your help guys.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote