Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-08-2023, 12:35 AM   #31
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Glad you like it. Given how labor-intensive it was to work on this, didn't go any further since it's mostly complete now. Anything in particular you think it needs?
Not at all, I love it, I've been using the November release for a long time, just upgraded to the January one, it's even better.

It's not an issue with your dictionary, but dictionaries in general, but is there a key for the phonetic symbols I can look up in your dictionary? It used to be at the front of dictionaries back in the day.

This thing here:

https://public.oed.com/how-to-use-th...on-US-english/

Last edited by jasius; 07-08-2023 at 12:38 AM.
jasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 04:11 AM   #32
allanahk
Connoisseur
allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.allanahk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello all,

I just started using koreader a few days ago (got fed up with stock kobo) and I already adore it. In the process I've had to find new dictionaries as the kobo ones are not stardict format.

In stock kobo (and on my kindle prior to kobo) my favourite dictionary was the Oxford Advanced Learners, available online in stardict format but with horrendous formatting. Someone (wink wink) converted it to kobo dicthtml and cleaned up the formatting in the process, and that same person has also just finished cleaning up the original stardict format - removing references to .jpg and .wav files, condensing the line spacing, adjusting the margins, etc.

I highly recommend this dictionary (especially for non-native speakers) as the definitions are easy to understand and quite thorough. It's particularly nice in combination with the wonderful SOED posted here (for more in depth definitions) and Wiktionary (for more obscure/pop culture references).

If anyone is interested, let me know and I can post a link here.
allanahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 05:49 AM   #33
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
I like this dict.
Any improvement will be appreciated 👍
Count me in..
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 05:18 AM   #34
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
👍
Unfortunately my comments will come later too, since I'm also away from my PC..
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 05:55 AM   #35
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanahk View Post
Hello all

In stock kobo (and on my kindle prior to kobo) my favourite dictionary was the Oxford Advanced Learners, available online in stardict format but with horrendous formatting. Someone (wink wink) converted it to kobo dicthtml and cleaned up the formatting in the process, and that same person has also just finished cleaning up the original stardict format - removing references to .jpg and .wav files, condensing the line spacing, adjusting the margins, etc.

I highly recommend this dictionary (especially for non-native speakers) as the definitions are easy to understand and quite thorough. It's particularly nice in combination with the wonderful SOED posted here (for more in depth definitions) and Wiktionary (for more obscure/pop culture references).

If anyone is interested, let me know and I can post a link here.
Is that available anywhere in the kobo format?
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 04:12 AM   #36
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moderator Notice

Members are reminded that sharing unauthorized copies of copyright works (which includes most recent dictionaries) is not permitted. Links and/or posts have been deleted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:16 AM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is one revealing clue about this thief [post 32]:

"Someone (wink wink) converted it to kobo dicthtml and cleaned up the formatting in the process"

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-24-2023 at 06:20 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 03:51 PM   #38
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
I really enjoy the Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary 1913 in stardict. It's out of copyright so perfectly legal to download off the internet. Has great formatting, though not as nice as the SOED posted about in this thread.

Here's a thorough blog post about it: https://jsomers.net/blog/dictionary
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 09:53 PM   #39
reader1xz
reader1xz began at the beginning.

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if there is a dictionary for my little brother he's 9 and I got him settled on KOReader and he likes it a lot on his Kobo. The problem is he struggles with the dictionaries I've tried a few for him (SOED, Concise Oxford) which means when I'm not present he'll struggle with words from when he's reading on books. I'm wondering if anyone has a dictionary suitable for children/kids who are not able to understand a standard dictionary as much. He's reading harry potter and likes it a lot though will have a hard time with some of the words. I'm not very sure on how to get the dictionaries for kids I've tried to torrent a few but the formatting inhibited use and were typically too complex as well for him. Thanks.
reader1xz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:17 AM   #40
Ebookus
Enthusiast
Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Ebookus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
is there anywhere (wink) a lost soul could find these wonderful OED and SOED dictionaries? the links were sadly taken down.
Ebookus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:01 PM   #41
DrNumbers
DrNumbers began at the beginning.

I too am unfortunately late to the SOED dictionary party. The links were taken down, I am hoping some good samaritan might be able to find them.
DrNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, koreader, oed, soed, wiktionary