Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #46
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
From what I read, KA1 have a much smaller battery and that also can affect perceived "battery drain".

I'm not telling that problem is 100% solved, but it may be on its way to be solved. As we can see, there's also problem with charging device (also can produce false sleep that causes battery drain).

Just to mention, it also highly depends on what battery percentage you look at the moment. On my H2O, lower percentage (under 50%) drop much faster than higher (above 50%). For my device battery percentage is far from linear. I start to charge my device as soon as it drops under 40% as it looks to me like it is actually 10% or maybe even less.

For your device (it can mean your device specifically, or all KA1 in general) there could be different battery draining function described through percentage. First try to see what different battery percentage actually means.

And yes, I noticed this for all devices I have, not just ebook readers. If device shows 30% of battery doesn't always mean that you have 30% of battery actually left.

On the other hand, you maybe already know this.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #47
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_S View Post
From what I read, KA1 have a much smaller battery and that also can affect perceived "battery drain".

For your device (it can mean your device specifically, or all KA1 in general) there could be different battery draining function described through percentage. First try to see what different battery percentage actually means.

And yes, I noticed this for all devices I have, not just ebook readers. If device shows 30% of battery doesn't always mean that you have 30% of battery actually left.

On the other hand, you maybe already know this.
True, and I haven't had it long enough to have a good feel for that, but I know that nickle doesn't drain much at all when suspended. So far that's the only thing I have for comparison. I hope to drain the battery pretty low and then fully recharge. By then there may be reports from others with a KA1. Thanks for your comments.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #48
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

FWIW, I drained the battery to 13% and then recharged. That night I used koreader in nightmode and last night I used nickle with the nightmode mod, approximately the same usage each night, read a while, sleep, read, sleep, etc. Never turned the KA1 totally off or put it to sleep with the button either night.

Night with koreader battery went to 82%
Night with nickle battery went to 92%

I do wonder if the light having to be at a higher setting for koreader is causing some of the extra battery usage. There is a large drop in light when koreader starts. I have it set to start at 23% and nickle to be at 3%. Last night I used nickle nightmode at 2%. I never noticed this drop in light with koreader with either the h2o or the Voyage.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #49
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's also indication, a possibility, that for some reason koreader uses more battery when it works than nickel. Check this post: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ssue-175174643

So, it can be issue how power efficient koreader is over nickel when it works.

But, suspending koreader is (or was?) bigger problem. For me, using koreader has much more advantages over using nickel, so I don't even think about nickel, even if it is more power saving than koreader.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #50
jscris
Addict

Quote:
There's also indication, a possibility, that for some reason koreader uses more battery when it works than nickel. Check this post: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ssue-175174643

So, it can be issue how power efficient koreader is over nickel when it works.

But, suspending koreader is (or was?) bigger problem. For me, using koreader has much more advantages over using nickel, so I don't even think about nickel, even if it is more power saving than koreader.
Yes, thanks, I've been following that and changed the delay to 15 sec. when it was first mentioned.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:25 PM   #51
Alan_S
Evangelist

Yes, but there's also this info in first post:

Quote:
KSM 08 idle: 13 mA average

Koreader idle book open: 13mA average
Koreader in true sleep mode: 1mA average

Nickel Menu idle: 2 mA avg
Nickel sleep: 1mA avg
It looks like koreader uses a bit more power when used than nickel.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:33 PM   #52
jscris
Addict

Quote:
Yes, but there's also this info in first post:

It looks like koreader uses a bit more power when used than nickel.
True.

Curious whether anyone else with a KA1 is seeing the major drop in light intensity when starting koreader.

Last edited by jscris; 09-19-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #53
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
I run the latest release of Koreader and the KSM07. Never have a battery draining issue, but last Saturday I was feeling the need to take a closer look on this matter.
I make the changes on lua file on my H2O, adding the 15 delay on suspend time, read some for 15', my battery level was at 83% and then I leave my reader with its cover lid closed for about 4,5 hours.
When I was start to read again, the battery percentage was exactly the same. 83%...
I will try the same on my GloHD as well.

WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote