Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #331
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
Jim's Board doesn't seem to be available currently, is there another recommended option?

Would something based on FT232RL work fine? I assume it would, as long as it's possible to set it to 1.8v...
jim.sh sells a 2-pack of 1.8v adaptor called the 'Micro1v8' for about $22 on amazon. it is not the cheapest option but it is simple.

Any 1.8v cord or chip system should work, people have gotten $2 cables from places and those work.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #332
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
jim.sh sells a 2-pack of 1.8v adaptor called the 'Micro1v8' for about $22 on amazon. it is not the cheapest option but it is simple.

Any 1.8v cord or chip system should work, people have gotten $2 cables from places and those work.
Ok thanks. This Micro1v8 could be a great option to modify the case & keep the port on the device forever... tempting!

The BS101P FT232RL seems really interesting as it's really versatile and could be use in many scenario other than playing with kindles.

Last edited by datanoise; 02-27-2018 at 12:38 PM.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #333
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Would like to refer once more to this post by coplate

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=237

and confirm that on the newest PW3s there is no diag> prompt, so just EXIT LOGIN command should be entered.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #334
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

This one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-TTL-...V/173146249951 should automatically stay in 1.8v as the power will only come from the kindle itself.

Last edited by datanoise; 03-07-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:52 AM   #335
Mikii
Mikii began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 5 gen
Serial jailbreak service ?

Hi There.
Is anyone on this forum willing to perform a serial jailbreak on a kindle PW3 (Serial G090KB --) for a fair price?

I am in the middle of moving and all of my tools are hidden somewhere .. plus I really do not have time.

Please PM me if you feel you would like to perform a jailbreak for me. I live in Italy so someone in Europe wold be perfect for lower shipping expenses.

Mikii
Mikii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #336
kitus
kitus began at the beginning.

Device: PW3-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikii View Post
Please PM me if you feel you would like to perform a jailbreak for me. I live in Italy so someone in Europe wold be perfect for lower shipping expenses.

Mikii
Please, PM me too if you can do this and are willing to accept payment through paypal as goods and services. thanks
kitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #337
Mikii

Hi There.

I finished moving and I am ready to try the serial jailbreak on a mac running putty on mac ports

A couple of questions:

1. My kindle PW3 is currently running on software 5.9.4. Will the serial jailbreak of page 1 work?
2. Will the jailbreak also downgrade the firmware?
3. Will I be able to upgrade the firmware back to 5.9.4 after installing the hot-fix ?
4. Should I do such an upgrade via amazon or should I use some other tools?

Thank you very much.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #338
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) Yes.
Hint: Read the first post of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by first post
These instructions were created on a Paperwhite 2. Physical differences aside, they will work on any kindle that:

Has a firmware version in the 5.x.y series
Is a touchscreen Kindle model
You post that your Kindle is running 5.9.4 (that is in the 5.x.y series).
You post that it is a PW3 (a touch screen model).
So that means you.

Warning: Do not even try the procedure described here if you have trouble reading the directions.

2) That is up to you, just depends on what files you use.
3) Yes, but some of our add-ins may not work. Stick with 5.8.11 if you can live with that set of features.
4) Amazon only posts a link to the current firmware.
But all other firmware versions are still on the server, just hand edit the URL for the version number you want.
Then put your selected Amazon image on the device via USB. (That is: follow the Amazon directions for installing the update image via USB).

Last edited by knc1; 03-16-2018 at 02:09 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:43 AM   #339
Mikii

Hi knc1,

Thank you very much for confirming this. I understand the jailbreak is on my on risk, I just wanted to double check the procedure was still considered to be valid on a 5.9.4 system.

1. About keeping the current system (kindle PW3 - Serial G090KB..... system 5.9.4) when jailbreaking, if you could point me directly to what files to use i'd appreciate. It looks to me I need your "K5 JailBreak (5.0.x - 5.4.4.2) | kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N-r14393.tar.xz" right?

2. The only feature I am really interested right now is you excellent "ScreenSavers Hack". Do you have any confirmation of this working with 5.9.4 (I like 5.9.4 because of the "see clock while reading" feature).

Thanks again for your time and patience.

Mikii
Old 03-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #340
Irenicus
Irenicus began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
Jim's Board doesn't seem to be available currently, is there another recommended option?

Would something based on FT232RL work fine? I assume it would, as long as it's possible to set it to 1.8v...
You can also use a FT232RL which costs only 1.5$ (shipping included ) from eBay or Aliexpress.
This one:
Click image for larger version

Name:	usb-ttl-ft232rl-pinout.png
Views:	432
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	162929

To make it use 1.8v you will have to remove the jumper completely.

I have done my PW2 with it, and also in >this< thread I recommended it to another guy, which also done it successfully.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4717.JPG
Views:	593
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	163035

Last edited by Irenicus; 03-24-2018 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add photo
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #341
datanoise
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I have done my PW2 with it, and also in >this< thread I recommended it to another guy, which also done it successfully.
Good to know, thank you very much!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:49 PM   #342
Mikii

Allright, to answer my own questions

Quote:
Hi knc1,

1. About keeping the current system (kindle PW3 - Serial G090KB..... system 5.9.4) when jailbreaking, if you could point me directly to what files to use i'd appreciate. It looks to me I need your "K5 JailBreak (5.0.x - 5.4.4.2) | kindle-jailbreak-1.14.N-r14393.tar.xz" right?
YES. Despite the misleading name indicating a 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 range, this is the jailbreak you also need to use it for a serial jailbreak on a 5.9.4 system.

Quote:
2. The only feature I am really interested right now is you excellent "ScreenSavers Hack". Do you have any confirmation of this working with 5.9.4 (I like 5.9.4 because of the "see clock while reading" feature).
Yes it works perfectly. Thanks knc1 and all the programmers!

Michele
Old 03-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #343
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
As the diags menu on the latest PW3 differs from the one in the first post, just for information, it is as follows:

(DS INFO)-Device Setting
(TOUCH PLATE)-Touch Plate Test
(OTS)-Operator test suite
(o)-Misc individual diagnostics
(WIFI NART)-nART factory test
(USB EXPORT)-USB device mode
(o)-Reboot or Disable Diags
(POWER SUSPEND)-Lock screen
(X)-Exit

EXIT options are:

EXIT DISABLE
EXIT FASTBOOT
EXIT LOGIN
EXIT REBOOT
EXIT WEB
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:16 AM   #344
Mikii

Right, and for the record this menu appears on the kindle screen not on the Putty scroll window.

MiC

Last edited by Mikii; 03-28-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #345
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Right, and this for the record this menu appears on the kindle screen not on the Putty scroll window.

MiC
Depends on your version of the diags system.
But usually appears on both screen and serial port (how else would you diagnose/calibrate a faulty touch screen?).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial jailbreak