Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2016, 01:22 AM   #1
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
6" Kobo Aura Edition 2

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura

Specs:
Screen: 6" Carta E Ink touchscreen, 1024 x 768 resolution 212 ppi
Weight: 180g
Size: 159 x 113 x 8.5 mm
Storage: 4 GB on-board memory, holds up to 3,000 eBooks
Front-light: Built-in, fully adjustable ComfortLight with micro-thin coating for durability and even light distribution
Customizability: TypeGenius: 11 different fonts and over 40 sizes to choose from
Exclusive font weight and sharpness settings
Supported formats: 14 file formats supported natively (EPUB, EPUB3, PDF, MOBI, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, TIFF, TXT, HTML, RTF, CBZ, CBR)
Read eBooks borrowed from Public Library
Connectivity: Wi Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Micro USB
Battery Life: Up to 2 months (Dependent on individual usage)
Languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Brazilian, Portuguese, Japanese, Turkish
Other: No advertising, no interruptions
Price: $119.99 Pre-order from August 30th
* It might have a internal SD card Goodereader.

Last edited by oren64; 08-18-2016 at 01:45 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 AM   #2
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The only justification I can think of for this device, is that Kobo plans to eventually only sell devices with the newer design (cyan button on the back).
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #3
Sarrod
Sarrod began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
The only justification I can think of for this device, is that Kobo plans to eventually only sell devices with the newer design (cyan button on the back).
Perhaps they will upgrade it to a new Aura HD when the Glo HD lifecycle ends. After that they can introduce a new entry level device.
At the moment, the Glo HD does make the Aura 2 seem redundant...
Sarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #4
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
As far as I can see the only significant improvement over the old Aura is the 2 month battery life. It has 10 more pixels on screen too :-)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrod View Post
Perhaps they will upgrade it to a new Aura HD when the Glo HD lifecycle ends. After that they can introduce a new entry level device.
At the moment, the Glo HD does make the Aura 2 seem redundant...
Since I'm shopping new devices is the aura 2nd edition the same as a glo HD spec wise?

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Since I'm shopping new devices is the aura 2nd edition the same as a glo HD spec wise?

JJ
No. The Aura 2nd Edition is more comparable to the Touch 2 with a light.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aura Edition 2 has a 212dpi Carta screen, better than the Touch 2 (167dpi Pearl), but not as good as the Glo HD (300dpi Carta).

It is a bit hard to see what niche this device is supposed to fill unless it is going to be super-cheap, the Glo HD seems to be better in every way.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Aura Edition 2 has a 212dpi Carta screen, better than the Touch 2 (167dpi Pearl), but not as good as the Glo HD (300dpi Carta).

It is a bit hard to see what niche this device is supposed to fill unless it is going to be super-cheap, the Glo HD seems to be better in every way.
The new device is only $10 less than the Glo HD.

Yeah, that has all of us stumped.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pros: light sensor.
Cons: price, no SD card slot.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #10
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I've never filled up a reader yet, my library is approx 1000 books or so. I don't see the need for more than 8gb or so.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #11
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I've never filled up a reader yet, my library is approx 1000 books or so. I don't see the need for more than 8gb or so.

JJ
It have 4GB of memory, ~1GB is for Kobo OS, ~3GB is free to load books.
If it have a intrnal SD card, you can replace it with a bigger one by copy the image and increase the partition.

Last edited by oren64; 08-18-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
More Cons: No improvement in ppi, not a flush screen.

I am disappointed - I was hoping for higher definition, still a flush screen, in 6" package.

I will stick with my old Aura 6" for now. If I am in need in the near future, I will struggle with the decision to give up the flush screen to go for the better screen of the Glo HD, or go with the expense and size of the Aura One to keep the flush screen.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I don't believe the Aura E2 has a light sensor. I believe that is only the Aura One
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I don't believe the Aura E2 has a light sensor. I believe that is only the Aura One
The specs don't mention it, but there seems to be a shiny little spot on the top bezel. I can't think of what it could be other than a sensor. Or maybe they've designed the case to use it for a "Glo HD Edition 2" with all the features of the Aura One.

Hmm, maybe that should be "Glo One".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:40 AM   #15
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The specs don't mention it, but there seems to be a shiny little spot on the top bezel. I can't think of what it could be other than a sensor. Or maybe they've designed the case to use it for a "Glo HD Edition 2" with all the features of the Aura One.

Hmm, maybe that should be "Glo One".
I thought the same thing about spot on the top bezel, but I didn't find any mention of light sensor or auto light setting in the news release (there is a mention in the Aura One), so a light sensor is only a maybe.

http://news.kobo.com/press/releases/...eal-booklovers

Last edited by oren64; 08-19-2016 at 02:19 AM.